Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Atheist Music

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭1stimpressions

Actually thought this was going to be a joke thread. But since it's not, Bill Callahan needs to be listened to. Oh, and he has some "atheist" songs too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

Charlie (Darwin) by Chumbawumba

Decomposing Composers by Monty Python

Isn't This World Enough? by Admiral Fallow

My Morality by Shelley Segal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

"Maybe that it would do me good
    If I believed there were a god
    Cut in the starry firmament
    But as it is that's just a lie
    And I'm here eating up the boredom"

-- David Gray.
    Scofflaw wrote: »
    Honourable mention to "It Ain't Necessarily So".

Funny I was JUST listening to an amazing cover of that song by Mick Flannery. When he sang it I was 100% convinced it was a Leonard Cohen cover. It was exactly like something he WOULD write.

So I looked it up to find the Cohen version and quickly found it was not his song at all.

Would love to hear Cohen do it though, for sure.

Cant believe in 5 pages no one linked to Barker. Ok Nugent mentioned him but come on :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9ki8MUek-4

The man has a natural stage presence. He played at the Atheist Conference in Germany and really got the crowd going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i lasted about 15 seconds. it's so earnest it made my ears hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

Finally, convincing proof of God.

Atheist music, which I have to admit I was woefully ignorant of previously, is utter scutter to put it mildly (with the notable exception of the Flaming Lips). I mean seriously folks, Devo? ZZ Top?, that lad on the piano is utterly brutal, David "I wrote this song and then I wrote it another hundred times" Gray.. and out of compassion I won't say anything about the stuff Michael posted. Even Christian Rock which I hate is somewhat listenable by contrast.

Also, you can't claim John Lennon. He was anti organized religion for sure but he also described himself in later period interviews as "quite spiritual".

nagirrac wrote: »
    described himself in later period interviews as "quite spiritual".

So do i.

So does Sam Harris.

I would not claim that as a point for anything even remotely religious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I too think David Gray is shit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

You're free not to like ZZ Top much in the same way you're free to wear your underwear on your head and crash a high society dinner party screaming "I' AM THE LIZARD QUEEN!" at the top of your lungs.

So do I. So does Sam Harris.

I would not claim that as a point for anything even remotely religious.

I agree spirituality and religion in many cases have nothing in common, quite the opposite frequently in fact. Spirituality though is a term that has several meanings, and even conflicting meanings depending on the person. I think the most common meaning is "something that is outside of the normal material world we observe with our 5 senses, or relating to a non material human soul", but like religion it can literally mean anything to anyone. I think it ties into one's idea of mind more than anything else.

If you mean trying to living your life with compassion and care for others and for the environment, then that covers a lot of people, non religious and religious.

Sarky wrote: »
    You're free not to like ZZ Top much in the same way you're free to wear your underwear on your head and crash a high society dinner party screaming "I' AM THE LIZARD QUEEN!" at the top of your lungs.

You're scaring me now sarky..
    are you a psychic?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

You're scaring me now sarky..
    are you a psychic?

It's only now you're getting scared!:eek: Wow, I've never known anyone to have such reservoirs of courage!

I think the most common meaning is "something that is outside of the normal material world we observe with our 5 senses, or relating to a non material human soul"

We disagree twice then.

The first is that humans do not just have 5 senses. In fact post biologists put the number of our senses well into the teens.

But for me "spirituality" means nothing more than exploring what it means to be human above and beyond the normal day to day experience of the common joe soap on the street.

I too think David Gray is shit.

I think he IS too.

But there was a moment in his career, early on, where he had "it".

He lost "it" quickly" but he had "it" in a big way for awhile there. He really did.

It's the head bobbing, I can't get the image out of my head when I hear him.

It's the head bobbing, I can't get the image out of my head when I hear him.

Have to give him credit on this one. He took the piss out of himself and in one of his videos he made it so his head FELL OFF and went into a basket. The ultimate in self parody.

Actually no, the ultimate in self parody was morrissey with a rose bush in his ass pocket. .......

but the head falling off thing was close :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

His songs just sound like long, drawn-out series of groans to me.

Perhaps it's time I diverted attention away from David Gray:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

I would like to see a band sing about evolution theory, the freedom of atheism and the all the wonders of science and logic

I know this quote was from six years ago, but the guy who did Symphony of Science also released an album of science themed songs - Terra Lumina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Perhaps it's time I diverted attention away from David Gray:
    Thought you missed a low hanging fruit in "Thoughts of a Dying Atheist" but really, the lyrics aren't much to look at. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Obliq wrote: »

Have some buttholes. You all deserve it :pac:

Speaking of the Butthole Surfers.

In another forum I frequent someone expressed concern about this tune. They said they were a devout xtian and they were worried that the fact they liked this tune was disturbing them. I thought it was a troll personally but turned out they were genuine.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭1stimpressions

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Derpington95

Well the title has a pretty atheist vibe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

There is no such thing as Atheist music. It's a non sequitur, if that means what I think it does ;)

These are religious and non religious lyrics.

"Deus" by The Sugarcubes surely counts. Repeatedly sings about God not existing and then implying that if he did he'd be a weird pervert!

I know Björk herself is an atheist, and her song "Alarm Call" contains this lyric that I love:
    "I'm no fucking Buddhist
    But this is enlightenment"

Also not sure if this has been posted yet but found a blog of "Atheist Music" here: http://atheistmusicblog.blogspot.ie/
    Seems to be mainly songs about free thinking, nature and discovery. don't really get how that's "atheist music" as such but there's a pretty comprehensive list there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

MoominPapa wrote: »
    Don't forget those crazy rationalist canuks Rush.
    Rush are excellent, but that's probably as close as I'll get to "atheist music". Only a few of their songs refer to it. Their last album Clockwork Angels has oblique references throughout, being set in a world where the "Watchmaker" (a nod to Dawkins) makes everything run like clockwork.

I just think that the music must always come first, it should never be just a platform for a message. Which rules out "Atheist Music" just as much as it does "Christian Music". That goes for politics too - no Billy Bragg in my music library, thank you. :cool:

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

More Tim Minchin. This song is painfully beautiful and very simple.

Advertisement