Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Atheist Music

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭Mousewar

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Yeah I can see how someone might get excited and sing about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,190 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Atheist music/songs? Hhhmm??? What's there to sing about??? Oh I know, to realise that one lives in a hostile universe of pointless, meaningless, purposeless, nothingness, where the earth, sun, solar system and the whole universe are destined to become a graveyard of corpse stars, strewn galaxies and super massive black holes ever expanding into the darkest nothingness that even after a period of 100 billion years there will still be an eternity of periods of 100 billion years to go, where every evidence that anything like the human race ever existed will have vanished long ago with all other life and matter.

When all the laughter dies in sorrow
    And the tears have risen to a flood
    When all the wars have found a cause
    In human wisdom and in blood
    Do you think they'll cry in sadness
    Do you think the eye will blink
    Do you think they'll curse the madness
    Do you even think they'll think
    When all the great galactic systems
    Sigh to a frozen halt in space
    Do you think there will be some remnant
    Of beauty of the human race
    Do you think there will be a vestige
    Or a sniffle or a cosmic tear
    Do you think a greater thinking thing
    Will give a damn that man was here

Kendrew Lascelles
    On the Album Chicago III

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Pherekydes wrote: »
    When all the laughter dies in sorrow
    And the tears have risen to a flood
    When all the wars have found a cause
    In human wisdom and in blood
    Do you think they'll cry in sadness
    Do you think the eye will blink
    Do you think they'll curse the madness
    Do you even think they'll think
    When all the great galactic systems
    Sigh to a frozen halt in space
    Do you think there will be some remnant
    Of beauty of the human race
    Do you think there will be a vestige
    Or a sniffle or a cosmic tear
    Do you think a greater thinking thing
    Will give a damn that man was here

Kendrew Lascelles
    On the Album Chicago III

Yes! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

So did you have any particular reason for ignoring all the music posted thus far in favour of telling us all we've nothing to sing about because the guy who wrote Revelations went on a serious bender a few centuries ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Sarky wrote: »
    So did you have any particular reason for ignoring all the music posted thus far in favour of telling us all we've nothing to sing about because the guy who wrote Revelations went on a serious bender a few centuries ago?

I didn't ignore the music. Some good stuff there I must say. I did notice a this atheist anthem missing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Jambo221

I have a soft spot for Iced Earth. I find them hit and miss, but when they hit, they hit hard.

Here's a little ditty written about how f*cking disgusting paedophile priests and their protection by a flock who really should know better are to anyone with a shred of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Michael Nugent

I published video links to 90+ songs relevant to atheism, gods or religions a while ago. You can watch/listen to them here:

Videos of Atheist and Secular Songs

They include songs from A Camp, Abba, Admiral Fallow, The Almighty, Tori Amos, Atheist Cartoons, Austin Lounge Lizards, Heywood Banks, Dan Barker, Amanda Bloom, Bad Religion, Boomtown Rats, Gogol Bordello, John R Butler, Cynthia Carle, Chumbawumba, Andy Corwin, The Cure, Dandy Warhols, Depeche Mode, Ani DiFranco, Dixie Chicks, Dusty Residents, Eve’s Plum, Fad Gadget, First Aid Kit, Garfunkel and Oates, Holly Golightly, Greydon Square, Half Man Half Biscuit, Markella Hatziano, Susan Hofer, George Hrab, Jerry Springer the Opera, Tom Lehrer, John Lennon, Jenny Lewis, Casey McKinnon, Steve Martin, Theatre of Hate, Tim Minchin, Monty Python, Motorhead, Alanis Morissette, Holly Near, Needy Heathens, Randy Newman, Rabbie1121, Sandy Riccardi, Rush, Dan Sartain, Eric Schwartz, Shelley Segal, Patti Smith, Chris Smither, Jill Sobule, The Sundays, Vienna Teng, Tom Waits, Cheryl Wheeler, XTC, Frank Zappa, Zero Days and Roy Zimmerman; plus a bonus song from Sonseed.

• Advertisement

This is one of my favourites - Your God by Cheryl Wheeler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭1stimpressions

Actually thought this was going to be a joke thread. But since it's not, Bill Callahan needs to be listened to. Oh, and he has some "atheist" songs too.

Charlie (Darwin) by Chumbawumba

Decomposing Composers by Monty Python

Isn't This World Enough? by Admiral Fallow

My Morality by Shelley Segal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

"Maybe that it would do me good
    If I believed there were a god
    Cut in the starry firmament
    But as it is that's just a lie
    And I'm here eating up the boredom"

-- David Gray.
    Scofflaw wrote: »
    Honourable mention to "It Ain't Necessarily So".

Funny I was JUST listening to an amazing cover of that song by Mick Flannery. When he sang it I was 100% convinced it was a Leonard Cohen cover. It was exactly like something he WOULD write.

So I looked it up to find the Cohen version and quickly found it was not his song at all.

Would love to hear Cohen do it though, for sure.

Cant believe in 5 pages no one linked to Barker. Ok Nugent mentioned him but come on :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9ki8MUek-4

The man has a natural stage presence. He played at the Atheist Conference in Germany and really got the crowd going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i lasted about 15 seconds. it's so earnest it made my ears hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,019 ✭✭✭nagirrac

Finally, convincing proof of God.

Atheist music, which I have to admit I was woefully ignorant of previously, is utter scutter to put it mildly (with the notable exception of the Flaming Lips). I mean seriously folks, Devo? ZZ Top?, that lad on the piano is utterly brutal, David "I wrote this song and then I wrote it another hundred times" Gray.. and out of compassion I won't say anything about the stuff Michael posted. Even Christian Rock which I hate is somewhat listenable by contrast.

Also, you can't claim John Lennon. He was anti organized religion for sure but he also described himself in later period interviews as "quite spiritual".

nagirrac wrote: »
    described himself in later period interviews as "quite spiritual".

So do i.

So does Sam Harris.

I would not claim that as a point for anything even remotely religious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I too think David Gray is shit.

You're free not to like ZZ Top much in the same way you're free to wear your underwear on your head and crash a high society dinner party screaming "I' AM THE LIZARD QUEEN!" at the top of your lungs.

So do I. So does Sam Harris.

I would not claim that as a point for anything even remotely religious.

I agree spirituality and religion in many cases have nothing in common, quite the opposite frequently in fact. Spirituality though is a term that has several meanings, and even conflicting meanings depending on the person. I think the most common meaning is "something that is outside of the normal material world we observe with our 5 senses, or relating to a non material human soul", but like religion it can literally mean anything to anyone. I think it ties into one's idea of mind more than anything else.

If you mean trying to living your life with compassion and care for others and for the environment, then that covers a lot of people, non religious and religious.

Sarky wrote: »
    You're free not to like ZZ Top much in the same way you're free to wear your underwear on your head and crash a high society dinner party screaming "I' AM THE LIZARD QUEEN!" at the top of your lungs.

You're scaring me now sarky..
    are you a psychic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

You're scaring me now sarky..
    are you a psychic?

It's only now you're getting scared!:eek: Wow, I've never known anyone to have such reservoirs of courage!

I think the most common meaning is "something that is outside of the normal material world we observe with our 5 senses, or relating to a non material human soul"

We disagree twice then.

The first is that humans do not just have 5 senses. In fact post biologists put the number of our senses well into the teens.

But for me "spirituality" means nothing more than exploring what it means to be human above and beyond the normal day to day experience of the common joe soap on the street.

I too think David Gray is shit.

I think he IS too.

But there was a moment in his career, early on, where he had "it".

He lost "it" quickly" but he had "it" in a big way for awhile there. He really did.

It's the head bobbing, I can't get the image out of my head when I hear him.

It's the head bobbing, I can't get the image out of my head when I hear him.

Have to give him credit on this one. He took the piss out of himself and in one of his videos he made it so his head FELL OFF and went into a basket. The ultimate in self parody.

Actually no, the ultimate in self parody was morrissey with a rose bush in his ass pocket. .......

but the head falling off thing was close :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,966 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

His songs just sound like long, drawn-out series of groans to me.

Perhaps it's time I diverted attention away from David Gray:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

I would like to see a band sing about evolution theory, the freedom of atheism and the all the wonders of science and logic

I know this quote was from six years ago, but the guy who did Symphony of Science also released an album of science themed songs - Terra Lumina

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Perhaps it's time I diverted attention away from David Gray:
    Thought you missed a low hanging fruit in "Thoughts of a Dying Atheist" but really, the lyrics aren't much to look at. :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Obliq wrote: »

Have some buttholes. You all deserve it :pac:

Speaking of the Butthole Surfers.

In another forum I frequent someone expressed concern about this tune. They said they were a devout xtian and they were worried that the fact they liked this tune was disturbing them. I thought it was a troll personally but turned out they were genuine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 252 ✭✭1stimpressions

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭Derpington95

Well the title has a pretty atheist vibe :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭Piliger

There is no such thing as Atheist music. It's a non sequitur, if that means what I think it does ;)

These are religious and non religious lyrics.

"Deus" by The Sugarcubes surely counts. Repeatedly sings about God not existing and then implying that if he did he'd be a weird pervert!

I know Björk herself is an atheist, and her song "Alarm Call" contains this lyric that I love:
    "I'm no fucking Buddhist
    But this is enlightenment"

Also not sure if this has been posted yet but found a blog of "Atheist Music" here: http://atheistmusicblog.blogspot.ie/
    Seems to be mainly songs about free thinking, nature and discovery. don't really get how that's "atheist music" as such but there's a pretty comprehensive list there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭bnt

MoominPapa wrote: »
    Don't forget those crazy rationalist canuks Rush.
    Rush are excellent, but that's probably as close as I'll get to "atheist music". Only a few of their songs refer to it. Their last album Clockwork Angels has oblique references throughout, being set in a world where the "Watchmaker" (a nod to Dawkins) makes everything run like clockwork.

I just think that the music must always come first, it should never be just a platform for a message. Which rules out "Atheist Music" just as much as it does "Christian Music". That goes for politics too - no Billy Bragg in my music library, thank you. :cool:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

More Tim Minchin. This song is painfully beautiful and very simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Festy

I'd imagine this would be the perfect atheist song

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Lingua Franca

This song represents almost every post in this forum.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr1I3mBojc0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭jonerkinsella

Pink Floyd and Frank Zappa...then some Daft Punk to top it off...Smoking.

The first single I ever bought was this,Still class,

Again, don't care if it's 'atheist' or not (although being from Iceland, chances are good she's not terribly religious), but vkgoeswild is easily my favourite Youtube artist right now:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Wouldn't every song that isn't about god be "atheist music"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

[-0-] wrote: »
    Wouldn't every song that isn't about god be "atheist music"?

No! EVERY song is about god, with context! You just need to open your eyes and think for yourself! Why can't you seeee....!

(exits, pursued by some kind of airborne pasta beast)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Might work for any any theist/atheist star cross'd lovers out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

You're probably best just humming along to the Schumann resonances (SR) while out for a dander.

This spectrum average is in the extremely low frequency (ELF) portion of the Earth's electromagnetic field spectrum. You need a deep voice as it's around 7.83 Hz. (avg.8).

A quicker option would be to batch modify the pitch of your entire music collection by 98.18181818181814%. so that's a slight re-tune from standard 440 (concert A) to 432Hz (based on a octave and scale multiplier of 7.83). Research shows that it's best for optimum cross-hemispheric communication, 'tis also the frequency of the double helix in DNA replication, ionospheric lighting strikes and the like...

i.e. If you play a piano key in one room, and have another piano beside it, this 2nd one will begin 'hear' this 1st piano's note and start to vibrate that same note by itself.

'Natural earth resonation', apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭swampgas

From 1986, and definitely atheist in outlook:

* EDIT * - Damn, jonerkinsella beat me to it :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

The The - Armageddon Days.....Sorry I can't post a link.

• Advertisement
Advertisement