Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Infraction in GAA forum

Options
  • 28-07-2014 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭

Hello

I received an infraction this afternoon apparently for attacking the poster and not post. I'll admit i was blunt with the poster in question but imo i responded in kind and yet i was the only one to receive the infraction.

I also don't believe there was anything personal in what i said. I attacked the post. A rude and sarcastic response to an opinion i shared and i called it what it was.

I've discussed the matter ad nauseam with the MOD in question but in my opinion he has steadfastly refused to justify the infraction.

I'm not unreasonable on this issue and i'll accept whatever the second opinion may be but basically i've been told you attacked the poster and not post, thats it. When i felt i hadn't i'd have liked an explanation but as i say none was forthcoming.

Thanks

Edit Link to thread

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,592 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

corny wrote: »
    I also don't believe there was anything personal in what i said. I attacked the post.
    Seriously?
    This is what you said:
    corny wrote: »
    I know thats supposed to be more of your nasty sarcasm but actually..... it is.
    However carefully you may think you crafted your reply it was a very clear dig at the poster and I'm seeing absolutely no reason to overturn the card

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭corny

Beasty wrote: »
    Seriously?
    This is what you said:

However carefully you may think you crafted your reply it was a very clear dig at the poster and I'm seeing absolutely no reason to overturn the card

I didn't carefully craft anything and resent the accusation. I'm very serious too.

His post was sarcastic.

His post was needlessly rude and nasty.

How is that not attacking the post?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,592 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

You were effectively calling him nasty and sarcastic. Even though you tried to be "smart" in the way you got the message across you failed. It is clear for anyyone to see from the qoute above that you were having a dig at the poster

Card upheld

You may ask an Admin to review this if you wish

You were effectively calling him nasty and sarcastic. Even though you tried to be "smart" in the way you got the message across you failed. It is clear for anyyone to see from the qoute above that you were having a dig at the poster

Card upheld

You may ask an Admin to review this if you wish

I told you before i didn't try and craft anything and i wasn't trying to be 'smart' as you put it. Can you read or you trying to insult me? Is this the way all problems are dealt with during this process? Outright hostility?

I was 'effectively' calling his post nasty and sarcastic. The bit i highlighted being "thats supposed to be more of your nasty sarcasm but actually..... it is". I didn't say you're a nasty and sarcastic person. I said what you posted was nasty and sarcastic. It was. Thats not a play on words or an intricate plan to insult the poster. BTW he was allowed post what he said without challenge. Apparently it didn't break the rules. I'm at a loss.

For arguments sake i'm assuming directly saying that post is nasty and sarcastic would be ok? If so then the addition of 'your' somehow makes it a personal attack? That can't be correct surely.

If you're not going to address any of my queries don't bother replying. I don't want to read any more of your 'insights' into my intentions.

Your intentions were perfectly clear to me (and the mod that carded you)

The fact you said "more" of your nasty .... was not calling the post nasty or sarcastic - it was attempting to throw that charge at the poster

Do you want an Admin to review this?

• Advertisement

Your intentions were perfectly clear to me (and the mod that carded you)

The fact you said "more" of your nasty .... was not calling the post nasty or sarcastic - it was attempting to throw that charge at the poster

Do you want an Admin to review this?

That makes no sense.

There was no issue prior to the post i responded to. His response to my original post was the first contact between us. I doubt you've checked the thread. 'More' was the bolded bit with respect to his wider post. His post was full of sarcasm thats where the more comes in, not more as in 'you've done this before'.

You've been trenchant, unhelpful and rude from the outset so yes i'll give the next step a try.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Hi Corny,

I've read through that thread and, while I can see your point that the "more sarcasm" refers to the posters second sentence I can also see how the mod picked it up the other way.

The fact remains that your post was nothing to do with the topic being discussed, it was a direct attack on a posters response to your own point.

you said it was mental preparation

other poster was sarcastic and pointed out that players being 5 yards off their marks is not a mental preparation issue but an issue with fitness

you posted solely about the style of post used

the conversation about the game flowed on around you.

I don't think you were being personally offensive but you were ignoring the thread topic to have a go at another poster, sort of like a "well, you're fat!" response to someone pointing out that you are mistaken.

I'll reduce the infraction to a warning and you should take it as that, a warning to stay on topic. this is a discussion forum, not fight club - if it were we wouldn't be discussing it....that would be against the rules......

Advertisement