Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

haunted house in foxford?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭redbuck

The Deel Castle incident is very interesting and creepy!! Any idea where this gamekeepers house is in Moygownah I'd be interested in visiting it.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

Appologies, you can scratch the gamekeepers house off the list. I've got two buildings mixed up. I did an intermship with a local authority a few years ago and while doing a survey on a river withing the area we passed by an isolated old house close to a river. Access was very difficult and the house looked like it was built sometime before the land commision, windows covered in cobwebs and starting to thin. We carried down the river and we had local farmers enquiring what we were doing and interested in our surveys. We asked about the house and said it had been left abandoned for decades, they thought a keeper (wether it was a water or game I'm not sure) was the pervious occupant. They heard someone had moved in years ago only to move out a few months later, they seemed to think it might have been haunted. We did a lot of surveys so I just can't remember the location of this house, plus access will be very difficult.

Anyways at the time I was looking into historical land records and estates of the area and thought this was the "Belville House" http://landedestates.nuigalway.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=217 This house belonged to the Orme family, in later years it was left unoccupied and people believed it was haunted. Apparently human bones were found under the floor boards http://www.irishfamilyroots.com/orme2.html (last paragraph).

However this house has been demolished for some time, so I've realy got my wires crossed:o

The Deel castle dose have a reputation for being haunted. My friend who had the experience would frequently have to wait to be picked up late at night after a days work on the sillage during the summer months, and isn't one to let his imagination get the run of him or make up bs.

Cheers that's some great info Silent Runner!!

Where exactly is the Deel castle I can't place it the place I think it is is turn right at Ardagh off the Crossmolina road and then continue down the road and turn right again? I think that's called Rappa Castle though lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭captainwang

That Owenmore house is also known as Glenmore House, its still in very good condition think its used as a holiday home. There is a gate lodge belonging to you which is hard to get to maybe thats the place you are thinking of, I think I know where it is. Rappa Castle is the far side of the main road to Ardagh RedBuck, Deel Castle is actually where you are thinking of.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Silent Runner

Yeah I remember that house alright, we did one of our surveys there, absolutely beautiful property. The original house I was thinking of was further north off the main road, there was a long country lane thick in brambles and impossible to get through and the house was quite small..but can't remember it's location. Anyone know much about the Belville house? Osie historic maps shows it to be a substantial property, wonder what exactly is left of it today

• Advertisement

Thanks for the info CaptainWang.

Now that I think of it I remember fishing the river Deel directly opposite Deel castle on the opposite bank and we could hear children playing, we just assumed it was coming from the house nearby.That was probably the case but you never know!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Curly1Bob

I havent read all of this thread but just incase anyone is still keeping an eye on this, I am from Foxford have lived here for 21 years and i would STRONGLY suggest that this house be left alone.

Do you mean because its haunted or because of trespassing?

Because of the thing that lives in that house, I am into all of this supernatural, spiritual stuff and can show anyone loads of places they can find spirits in Foxford and the surrounding areas that I have found myself or have been introduced to but I would recommend that you do not visit that house and most people around town will advise the same.

As i said i didnt read this whole thread so im not sure exactly whats going on but i seen a few posts of people saying they would like to visit it, trust me you would like it at all, regardless of how much experience you have in this field.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

Im assuming you realise that will make the those interested to just want to visit the place even more now.

Are you talking from your own personal experience, or from local hearsay? I find lots of times that when you ask around about these things, people either dont know or dont care. They rarely would advise anyone to not visit somewhere because of a ghost.

If it was a personal experience, then what happened? If its hearsay .. then its just hearsay.
    Curly1Bob wrote: »
    Because of the thing that lives in that house, I am into all of this supernatural, spiritual stuff and can show anyone loads of places they can find spirits in Foxford and the surrounding areas that I have found myself or have been introduced to but I would recommend that you do not visit that house and most people around town will advise the same.

As i said i didnt read this whole thread so im not sure exactly whats going on but i seen a few posts of people saying they would like to visit it, trust me you would like it at all, regardless of how much experience you have in this field.

• Advertisement

Look im not trying to encourage anyone to go there through reverse psychology if people are going to go to the house they are going to go im just saying really would not recommend it.

I have never been able to make it past the front door, the one time i touched the front door i got visions of a dismembered body and smelt the stench of death so the spirit is very much attached to the house.

My cousin tried to sleep in the house once, she never really believed in any of this before hand, she claims they heard a baby crying and a woman comforting her, doors slammed shut, things sounded like they were moving. I can't verify this as i wasn't there and it could he imagination as much as anything else.

Another cousin of mine who thought it was a load of bull went down one night with a few of his friends, and sat outside in the car shouting at the house and and laughing and just messing around, they he says the car was engulfed by a black smock like thing they could see anything and all the heard was the most terrifying furious scream. He was brought to the doctor the next day because he was as white as a sheet of paper could not speak wouldn't willingly move could not keep his attention on anything for more then a few seconds, he was like this for four days until we brought him a reiki healer who's jaw nearly dropped when she seen him she called a friend of hers that was some other kind of healer and they worked on him for a week and got him back to normal.

These accounts are the only ones i believe to be true to some degree I have loads more but as you said yourself most of it is hearsay. I would never tell someone not to instigate a spirit or anything like that as in my experience they are usually quite nice once you get over the fear of the unknown, but this place is different and feels different to anything I have every felt and i have never heard of things happening like the thinks that are reported to have happened in that house.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

It's an unfortunate thing about human nature, but if a suitably impressionable person thinks a house like that is haunted, they'll convince themselves it's haunted and pass on the hearsay.

So far no-ones come up with an undeniable personal experience .. It's either feelings or what someone else said. Makes me think its basically a house that looks spooky, ergo its haunted. More likely ... It just looks spooky.

Curly1Bob wrote: »
    Look im not trying to encourage anyone to go there through reverse psychology if people are going to go to the house they are going to go im just saying really would not recommend it.

I have never been able to make it past the front door, the one time i touched the front door i got visions of a dismembered body and smelt the stench of death so the spirit is very much attached to the house.

My cousin tried to sleep in the house once, she never really believed in any of this before hand, she claims they heard a baby crying and a woman comforting her, doors slammed shut, things sounded like they were moving. I can't verify this as i wasn't there and it could he imagination as much as anything else.

Another cousin of mine who thought it was a load of bull went down one night with a few of his friends, and sat outside in the car shouting at the house and and laughing and just messing around, they he says the car was engulfed by a black smock like thing they could see anything and all the heard was the most terrifying furious scream. He was brought to the doctor the next day because he was as white as a sheet of paper could not speak wouldn't willingly move could not keep his attention on anything for more then a few seconds, he was like this for four days until we brought him a reiki healer who's jaw nearly dropped when she seen him she called a friend of hers that was some other kind of healer and they worked on him for a week and got him back to normal.

These accounts are the only ones i believe to be true to some degree I have loads more but as you said yourself most of it is hearsay. I would never tell someone not to instigate a spirit or anything like that as in my experience they are usually quite nice once you get over the fear of the unknown, but this place is different and feels different to anything I have every felt and i have never heard of things happening like the thinks that are reported to have happened in that house.

I hope your right my friend and I hope you never find out otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭martin gillespie

GodlessM wrote: »
    Interesting. I'll admit I never bothered with this thread because it was full of such silliness before but you've peaked my interest with this one. Tell me, does anyone know if there's an ugly past with this house, in particular regarding kidnappings?
    I heard today that the parents of 3 children went across the road to visit , left the kids in bed and when they returned all 3 where dead .

Interesting, is this a story told by locals?

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭lisaface

its the big green house on your right about two mile outside foxford town on your way to castlebar.now its said that if you can last a night there you can have the deeds also its supposed to move an inch closer to the road every year.im not far from there but i will not being goin near it

good luck

I know your post is 3 years old, but when I saw the title I was coming to find out where exactly this house was, as well...I have family from that town ,i grew up there throughout my life on and off. I have family that live out that road ,and for as long as I can remember i've always gotten an eery vibe off the place when driving by. I put this down to it being an old neglect house. I really don't think it's haunted. It's just a run down ,still somehow painted green house,with broken windows and the likes.
    J.Dev wrote: »
    As expected, the only post (my own) that goes into any serious and unbiased detail about the house, Completely invalidates this houses spook and is completely ignored. You'll probably find more spook in Ben's

hahah :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 sylvau

Hi,my son just sent me a link to this thread, very interesting read,we actually live 2 doors down from this house, and have done for 20 years, never noticed anything ,have heard the stories and have visited, there was supposable a woman at the top of the stairs in a rocking chair holding a baby, there are also stories that 2 brothers owned it and they fell out,one wanted to sell it and the other didn't so an argument ensued and one brother started the rumour that it was haunted so as to put people off buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 roadshow10

dont enter that house even in daylight...............BE WARNED

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭endacl

roadshow10 wrote: »
    dont enter that house even in daylight...............BE WARNED

Well. That's us told. Out of interest, what'd happen? Ominously creaking doors and sh1t?

you wouldnt last 5 minutes in that house

• Advertisement

no one knows .... anyone that stayed in that old house died shortly afterwards or went crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Total bull.

no one knows .... anyone that stayed in that old house died shortly afterwards or went crazy

Except for all the everybody who didn't?

STAY AWAY FROM THIS HOUSE

5,000 euros to anyone who spends the night alone in that house and come out sane in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Giggernaut

5,000 euros to anyone who spends the night alone in that house and come out sane in the morning

Lol , context or gtf

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Filithom

Anyone got photo's?

Filithom wrote: »
    Anyone got photo's?

Photo's what?

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭rtron

My interests in this house are peaked, anyone on this thread actually visited it? Any stories?

• Advertisement

I have, it's nothing out of the ordinary, just an abandoned old house that stupid stories have formed around.

Advertisement