Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog messing in my house...every couple of hours

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Maybe you should all just calm down. This has descended into a pointless slagging match that has little or nothing to do with the original topic. The butcher bone thread is entirely unrelated to this topic and should not have been brought into it.

OP uses methods for training which are generally accepted as outdated. Some people consider them cruel but I think we can take emsy_g's word that she didn't grind the dog's nose in the feces or violently slap it or punish it well after the fact. It's not the way dogs are trained now but I think we all know it was done with the best intentions and based on successful previous training experiences. I would never train a dog that way and I hope the OP uses more modern methods in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seaner

Watch an episode or two of the dog whisperer. HAIL CESAR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 510 ✭✭✭LuckyStar

Bluefrog wrote: »
    I really didn't expect a response - I knew you wouldn't have one. I can appreciate you are busy though. Must be a full time job dealing with all that insecurity

The butcher is entitled to run his business as he sees fit but he does so in the public realm and I am just as entitled to comment on it.

I guess since you can't even respect the thread topic it is wishful thinking to hope you would treat other posters with respect either. Sad.

My heart warmed a little when you gave the little tale of how you like to support local businesses- I mean, slagging them off on an online forum is a great way to go about that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

What is it with Animal and pet issues forum that, every thread seems to end up in petty personal arguemnents..

Id suggest one should discuss animals -and not their owners -

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

usually the owner is the cause of the animals problems though :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Time the moderators close this thread me thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Demonique

kerrysgold wrote: »
    Sorry, but it says something about you when you have no problem with "butchering" an animal, why would you have a problem with "dipping" a dogs nose in it's own muck? But obviously you're one of these people that think because something has been done for years it must be the right thing to do. :rolleyes: you obviously don't know much about modern, KIND, training methods.

This might come as a shock to you, but in the past people living on farms actually slaughtered their own animals, and as for "butchering" an animal this doesn't refer to slaughtering an animal, it refers to the cutting up of animals that are already dead, the OP might not have necessarily killed the animal herself, she could have received a carcass from an abbatoir or had someone come out and put the animal down.

Stop being so judgmental, why don't you go to the dog fighting post and condemn the people involved in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭emsy g

Demonique wrote: »
    This might come as a shock to you, but in the past people living on farms actually slaughtered their own animals, and as for "butchering" an animal this doesn't refer to slaughtering an animal, it refers to the cutting up of animals that are already dead, the OP might not have necessarily killed the animal herself, she could have received a carcass from an abbatoir or had someone come out and put the animal down.

Stop being so judgmental, why don't you go to the dog fighting post and condemn the people involved in that?

Thankyou,i know i said i wouldn't write again but it's hard to let people attack you.....even when you have decent understanding people defending you...

I have never killed an animal of any kind....insects yes,animals no.....We usually had a neighbour,this lovely old bloke,who had experience in this area would call down and do the deed.The animal wouldn't even know what hit it,literally.It's entire life was spent in green fields,open sheds at night for shelter IF they wanted,Fed high quality foods,fresh water from the stream and even a pat now and then from us.We cared for them and gave them a good life before they were very humainly knocked out and used as our dinner.No part of the animals were wasted as our dogs and cats would get remains.I think this is a great way to respect the animal if you are a meat eater.We killed the animals for food,not sport or fun.
    If we didn't eat meat there would be no room for human beings would there?They breed...alot!!
    If you eat meat and you buy it from a shop,these animals die in a much more inhumain way,they don't have any of the 'luxuries' our animals had.I have a respect for animals that you get when you grow up with them and watch them from birth to death.....and by the way,if you've never had organic meat,you are missing out,it may be expensive but it's damn good!!! :)

Please STOP with the nasty comments and attacking me and bluefrog!This was a simple question at the start,Demonique is right,if you want to get someone for cruelty go to dog fighting site....this really is cruel,or look up david motari's video,the guy threw a puppy off a cliff for godsake...there is plenty of cruelty in the world towards animals,mammals and humans but guys...i am not part of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Luckystar banned for abuse.

• Advertisement

They're gorgeous. I'm sure I see a boxer in there somewhere! Fair play to you for taking in rescues, I know I couldn't do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,926 ✭✭✭✭Stark

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

M0use wrote: »
    I volunteer with a dog rescue organisation. When you adopt or foster a rescue dog it can take several weeks for the dogs to settle in and be fully housetrained etc. This is due to the fact that they have often been straying for some time, and then spent anywhere from the minimum of five days up to more than a month (depending on the pound or rescue centre) in a small cage for at least 18hours a day and 23 hours a day at weekends. Once they get into homes and relax, they often have tummy upsets for a first few days and can do their business in places they know they shouldn't. After all the dog has gone through, a few ups and down in the first week or two should be expected. God only knows what that dog might have gone through before it got to you.

However, I would like to say I'm always thrilled when someone rescues a dog rather than lining the pockets of a breeder. Lots of dogs that come into the pound are pedigrees. There's no need to buy a dog unless you intend to show it and you need the IKC papers.

Best sense made on all this thread
    All the other arguements aside - dont push a dogs nose in their poo and wee - they honestly don't get the equation that it's WHERE they've done it thats wrong just that it's wrong - believe me I have come across rescue dogs and pups that eat their poop because they are trying to hide it for fear of being punished - took me a year to get my own little rescue out of the habit of peeing in my wardrobe and obscure places in a vain effort to hide her wee.
    Best thing - take her out after her meals - frequently and stand in the garden with her - praise her to high heaven when she goes - and give her a treat - they soon cop on.
    Best of luck with her - as Mouse says god knows what she has been thru so the least amount of hassle and chastisement in the 1st 2 weeks is essential !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭SuzyS1972

just another thought - it takes a human about 2 years to toilet train - why do we expect a dog to know it in a few days !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 969 ✭✭✭kerrysgold

emsy g wrote: »
    Thankyou,i know i said i wouldn't write again but it's hard to let people attack you.....even when you have decent understanding people defending you...

I have never killed an animal of any kind....insects yes,animals no.....We usually had a neighbour,this lovely old bloke,who had experience in this area would call down and do the deed.The animal wouldn't even know what hit it,literally.It's entire life was spent in green fields,open sheds at night for shelter IF they wanted,Fed high quality foods,fresh water from the stream and even a pat now and then from us.We cared for them and gave them a good life before they were very humainly knocked out and used as our dinner.No part of the animals were wasted as our dogs and cats would get remains.I think this is a great way to respect the animal if you are a meat eater.We killed the animals for food,not sport or fun.
    If we didn't eat meat there would be no room for human beings would there?They breed...alot!!
    If you eat meat and you buy it from a shop,these animals die in a much more inhumain way,they don't have any of the 'luxuries' our animals had.I have a respect for animals that you get when you grow up with them and watch them from birth to death.....and by the way,if you've never had organic meat,you are missing out,it may be expensive but it's damn good!!! :)

Please STOP with the nasty comments and attacking me and bluefrog!This was a simple question at the start,Demonique is right,if you want to get someone for cruelty go to dog fighting site....this really is cruel,or look up david motari's video,the guy threw a puppy off a cliff for godsake...there is plenty of cruelty in the world towards animals,mammals and humans but guys...i am not part of it!

I don't argue with you that you're animals probably had a better life than factory farmed animals but I must say the world wouldn't become overpopulated with animals if we didn't eat them, since they wouldn't be millions of them bred if there were no demand for meat.

You're dogs are nice, especially the b&w one, just don't be cruel to them by "dipping" their nose in their muck. you wouldn't do it to housetrain a kid so don't do it to housetrain a dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Im sorry, but it can take months to toliet train a dog.
    I have a rottweiler who was still peeing the odd night at 7 months in the house.

Giving a dog a smack when you discover it has messed in the house is not fair and not the answer as the dog hasnt a clue what they are being smacked for if they have messed hours or even minutes earlier.

I think you need to read up on how to toilet train a dog properly and give the poor dog a chance.
    You need to take the dog out at regular intervals and after eating and playing. First thing in the morn and last thing at night too, they are very clever and can go outside and not go for ages, so it might mean staying out there for half with them til they do, and then its praise praise and more praise.

andreac wrote: »
    Im sorry, but it can take months to toliet train a dog.
    I have a rottweiler who was still peeing the odd night at 7 months in the house.

Giving a dog a smack when you discover it has messed in the house is not fair and not the answer as the dog hasnt a clue what they are being smacked for if they have messed hours or even minutes earlier.

I think you need to read up on how to toilet train a dog properly and give the poor dog a chance.
    You need to take the dog out at regular intervals and after eating and playing. First thing in the morn and last thing at night too, they are very clever and can go outside and not go for ages, so it might mean staying out there for half with them til they do, and then its praise praise and more praise.

Actually,she stopped doing it right after my last post.....that was many months ago,since then i've taught her to sit,lie,paw paw,stay (also when i put her food down,i can walk away,come back and she will still be waiting for me to tell her to get it) fetch and we go for walks on the beach off the lead all the time....she's an extremely happy girl now :)

Oh and also,once again,she never got slapped hours or even minutes after she made the mess...i caught her in the middle of doing it,why doesn't anyone read the whole thing instead of skimming through and taking random sentences out of context?
    I originally posted straight after it happened so i was just typing uncontrollably to get the whole story out,that's why i didn't use capitals or even the best grammer...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

emsy, by bumping your original post you may be leaving yourself open to reopening the whole can of worms! Better to add your pics to one of the pics of your pet threads.

Good to hear problem solved anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

And with that piece of good news I shall close this thread for obvious reasons.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement