Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Quinn refusing to quote me on high powered cars until I'm 30

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

steve9859 wrote: »
    ABEasy wrote: »
    Totally agree with you, you don't see cheaper medical insurance for young people when they are less likely to cost the insurer than older people. Why not have risk equalization for motor insurance?

The difference is that we are all going to get old, and society owes a duty of care to the elderly (whether Ireland delivers on that duty is a subject for another thread!). Hence risk equalisation as part of the healthcare strategy.

But society does not have a duty to provide the funds for people in their twenties to drive fast cars. You have to decide how much horsepower you can afford.

Yes we do all get old and most probably will be driving through to our 60's, why not equalise the cost of insurance over this term?? Society does provide the duty of care by way of the public health system which is free. Medical insurance is an optional insurance (if your sick you will get treated weather you have insurance or not) just like motor insurance for people who drive fast cars. And it's not just fast cars any young driver gets fcuked by the insurance companies. You don't see smokers getting loaded for medical insurance premiums!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

ABEasy wrote: »
    Yes we do all get old and most probably will be driving through to our 60's, why not equalise the cost of insurance over this term??
    Some will, some won't be driving from age 17 to age 70, so equalisation means one group subsidising another.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Anan1 wrote: »
    Every insurance company has their own rules, and QD don't want to insure the OP on a BMW 330i until they're 30. I don't mean to sound smart, but I see nothing remarkable about that.

Family member used to work for Quinn insurance. If you tell them you own the car they must give you a quote.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

n97 mini wrote: »
    Some will, some won't be driving from age 17 to age 70, so equalisation means one group subsidising another.

Then why don't they just say that. Sick of this young driver bull****. And if the government gave a **** which they don't they would sort out the roads and introduce a programme in secondary schools to do with driver induction. I am not talking taking up 5 years with this stuff, when they reach near the driving age 16/17 all pupils go threw a few classes on road safety and see a few dead bodies from crashes.

There is no point in beating around the bush with this , show people how mangled the human body gets in a crash and that will make people slow down.

This always stuck in my head. I know it's a dear but it could easily be a human or child.

http://static.texashuntfish.com/pics/2007/12/13/large/e21ef131-f337-4cd4-be06-7869d01e9d81.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

I like the German health care system. Health insurance is privatized but required by law and everyone regardless of age, sex, history etc. pays the exact same price for insurance. It works out cheaper all round, and the companies are guaranteed a fixed income so can plan things much better.

Would love to see a similar system here for car insurance. Guess I can always dream...:rolleyes:

@challengemaster The statistics come from the central statistics office, theres nothing to believe/not believe about it. Do accept what the central statistics office (not the RSA) say about accident rates? Or are you just going to brush that off too because you dont like facts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 260 ✭✭fitzgese

Greyfoot wrote: »
    Don`t wanna go off topic but i thought i share my story with QD.
    Around 3 yrs ago i was just under 30 and was thinking to get an evo or a dc2 so rang a few companies. Had 6+yrs no claim bonus, over 10yrs driving experience owned a couple of high performance cars before.

Now I rang QD and they flat out refused to quote me on the evo which i accepted knowing it was a high performance sport car.

I rang them a day later from my workplace and tried to get a quote on the dc2 and was told it is a high performance car cant insure me.

Now I suspected that there was a little racism involved since i am not irish so gave my phone to my mate who was irish with heavy skanger accent and all to try to insure the very same car with the same details i gave them and on top of that he was a year younger than me.

Guess what? Yo man happily quoted him around 800euro pa!!!

Blood was boiling up inside me so rang them again and asked for a quote and told them why is that they quoted my mate and not me? I was transferred to a supervisor-told them the same story.

He tried to pull the high performance car on me but I reminded him that they quoted my friend for the very same model. Then after a short chat he told me that my driving experience is not sufficient since back home I was driving on the right hand side of the road and more likely to cause accident over here.

Needless to say I kindly said f*** off and hung up...

That's shocking! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

I like the German health care system. Health insurance is privatized but required by law and everyone regardless of age, sex, history etc. pays the exact same price for insurance. It works out cheaper all round, and the companies are guaranteed a fixed income so can plan things much better.

Would love to see a similar system here for car insurance. Guess I can always dream...:rolleyes:

But you driving a fast car is a luxury. health provision is a necessity. I am not sure that anyone should be forced through equalisation of premiums to facilitate your purchase of a luxury item, when you have other options (ie. a smaller car)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭savagecabbages

I know what you mean, but i'm not necessarily arguing just for fast cars, more for younger + older drivers paying scandalous prices for insurance.

I mean there are more factors to owning a luxury car than insurance prices. Someone who can afford a €50k car probably wont be too worried about paying insurance on it, while someone buying a €1500 car and not being able to afford insurance that costs more than the car itself is the person being screwed at the moment.

As you said driving is not a necessity, and thats true. You dont have to drive, but you have to be insured if you do. You have to tax your car. So by driving your already being forced into these things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

Seeing as how having insurance is a legal requirement, shouldn't insurance companies be legally required to provide it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

msg11 wrote: »
    This always stuck in my head. I know it's a dear but it could easily be a human or child.

http://static.texashuntfish.com/pics/2007/12/13/large/e21ef131-f337-4cd4-be06-7869d01e9d81.jpg

thats so horrifying, such a shame to see

that poor bmw :( i hope it was ok

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

I got quoted 1200 on an 2001 M5 about a year ago with QD, I was 30 at the time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Anan1 wrote: »
    Every insurance company has their own rules, and QD don't want to insure the OP on a BMW 330i until they're 30. I don't mean to sound smart, but I see nothing remarkable about that.

You're not half as smart as you think you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭ABEasy

steve9859 wrote: »

But you driving a fast car is a luxury. health provision is a necessity. I am not sure that anyone should be forced through equalisation of premiums to facilitate your purchase of a luxury item, when you have other options (ie. a smaller car)

Health insurance is also a luxury in Ireland as health care is provided by the state for free, people choose to have it. If you are going down the route of motor insurance equalization I'd imagine vehicles would be classified according to risk (akin to UK vehicle insurance) and a flat rate fee would apply to the vehicle regardless of the age of the driver, therefore the average driver will not pay for luxury vehicles through an equalization system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Probably worth mentioning QD have insured me on an E46 325ci at 20, and now an E46 M3 at 22.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

ottostreet wrote: »
    Seeing as how having insurance is a legal requirement, shouldn't insurance companies be legally required to provide it?

They do, but typical Ireland you must jump threw hoops and anything else in the way.

You must get three letters of refusals from 3 insurance companys. Problem here is they sometimes refuse to give the refusal letter. Which in itself is against some consumer law, the guy from the IIF told me this.

You must then bring these three letters to the IIF and they will force one of the three insurance companys to give you a quote. The quote must be reasonable and not over the top to the same extent that it is the same as not providing a quote. EG, giving you a quote of 20,000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

if your 25 or over you can get trade insurance. i think you need 4 years no claims. i was 27 when i got my first trade insurance for 1460 fully comp. but ive heard of guys getting it cheaper if the op want to know more pm me and ill give you the companys details. and he can ring them for a chat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

KamiKazi wrote: »
    You're not half as smart as you think you are.

Attack the post, not the poster please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

fitzgese wrote: »
    Yeah this is more what I'm getting at, I'm pretty sure there is some insurance company out there that will quote me, my point was more has QD changed their target market in the past few years? When I was looking to get insurance first time, they were pretty much the only company who would give me a reasonable quote. I guess there's nothing really remarkable about it, a better question to ask would be is there any insurance company (besides XS direct) that caters for the younger driver looking to insure a higher performance car, that will quote online for these types of cars?

I will ring probably ring them all eventually, just want to cut down on the permutations of cars and companies as far as possible, or at least get a rough idea of what it would cost to insure certain cars without having to spend hours on the phone.
    I know what you mean, but there are just so many variables that ringing everyone is really the only way to go.

Advertisement