Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wanted: Drummer, keyboardist, bassist for Dublin originals band (singers preferred)

Options
  • 26-08-2008 3:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I'm a 26 year old guy who's played in a bunch of covers bands, choirs, jam sessions etc., and I'm trying to start my first originals band. Due to a) my love of harmonies and b) my non-lead quality voice, I've decided that there should be multiple singers in the band. I wouldn't be aiming for Beach Boys/Fleet Foxes/etc level (not that ambitious) but I would prefer more than the vocalist only does vocals, guitarist only plays guitar type thing. I've also decided that there's usually not much point in having two guitarists (especially live) and a guitarist and keyboardist is better in terms of sonic variety/flexibility.

Here are a few bedroom recordings I've put together:

Hey (or how the band did its thing)
    Easy (Thus Do All)
    Dublinism (not finished yet but representative of some stuff what I wanna do)
    Gideon (rough My Morning Jacket cover)
    Jenny is a Fox

The recordings were all mixed on headphones (a big no-no usually) so they may sound a bit ****e on speakers right now. If people have their own originals I'd obviously be happy to give those a shot too. I have a few ideas for covers that might be fun/interesting to do, but more about that later.

In terms of listing influences, I still haven't figured out what to say for this, but Jimi Hendrix, Jeff Buckley, Spoon, Beck, Arcade Fire, Viva Voce, Boards of Canada, The Shins, Neil Young (and David Crosby), Nirvana, and Jon Spencer Blues Explosion is all stuff I listen to a lot.

But wait! There's more pickiness:
    • I like keyboard players who are really into getting good sounds from their instruments
    • I like drummers who like the odd bit of jazz
    • I like bassists who like bass, and aren't just guitarists chancing their arm
    From what I've said above it might seem like I have a lot decided considering there's nobody else in the band yet, but I'm willing to be plenty flexible as long as I can get good people :) Look out for my follow-up post in two weeks when I haven't found anyone and I relax my requirements.

Also I'm doing a PhD so I have a bit more flexibility with hours for rehearsal etc. than someone holding down a full time job.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 thebassblast

Hey im a bass player starting in maynooth in september,been playing for about 4-5 years. love most kinds of music jazz,blues,funk and alt rock.. Sounds like an interesting project! P.M me if interested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 LEDZLEY

Hey drummer here if your interested.... That's if you haven't already decided against girl drummers!!!!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 25 goinginside

im a bass player and i can sing a bit too, im livin in dublin mon-fri.
    i have an acou bass if you want to jam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 In Greedy Ants

Sorry to everyone above, had notifications turned on for replies but they never came in my email for some reason. Anyway, in a fit of New Years' optimism, I'm gonna have another stab at putting a band together, and will make sure to keep an eye on the thread this time.

Here's another song for ye, just a sort of medley of two covers lashed together.

The Ecuador Three - Handshake Drugs

• Registered Users Posts: 25 goinginside

still interested :) playing bass 7 years with gigging experience :D

• Advertisement

The best musicians wanted ad I've ever seen:

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/muc/1017438613.html

Damn, it's been deleted. Here's what it said:
    i am starting this band for the sole purpose of getting laid (UCSD)

Reply to: comm-1017438613@craigslist.org [?]
    Date: 2009-02-02, 7:57AM PST

The purpose of this band is to cynically play whatever music is necessary to attract as many young women as possible for the purposes of having sexual relations with them. I am in my mid 20s and a veteran of several musical projects, which unfortunately have tended toward the sort of music that repels women (overly-experimental indie rock, pretentious electronic art music, and incredibly offensive death metal / grindcore). At this point i am going to play whatever insipid emo / rock /punk / pap whatever because I am in my mid 20s and want to do this band thing right for one last time and get all the hot rock chicks who always thought I was a little bit too autistic.

My training is mostly in indie rock of the late 90s / early 00s, from riot grrl to neutral milk hotel, alternative to obscure 80s punk cds, my charmingly eclectic record collection of 70s cult favorites, obscure synthpop, an experience with hair-metal we are going to write off as an exercise in irony and then never speak of it again, the obligatory foray into blues and folk during every college kid's dylan period, and a bit of totally nihlist death metal industrial and years spent pretending I liked VNV nation to get with goth girls. I am also veteran of the late 90s rave scene, and have retained some classic 80s synths which appeal nicely to my retro hipster tendencies and still make bit of squelchy fat beats. I can program basslines/ drums. I can play anything with strings and frets on it, and we can take advantage of my Latio name and style to drop some Spanish guitar although I dont think that plays as well here as it did on the east coast when I was 'exotic'. If we are going to go pretentious I can drop all kinds of 20th century atonal art music references. I have professional training as psychologist, and access to a wide variety of scientific equipment. informal field experiments as well as laboratory work will evaluate the effectiveness of these musical techniques with women. I have a fresh! new hip haircut and go to the gym daily. I expect you to obsess over your appearance, and then pull of a very artfully constructed look of disorder. Nothing in this band will be left to chance.

I am NOT kidding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 erronious monk

hey man.how's things?? kinda new to the site so i'm not sure if you got a bass player yet but if your still looking i'm open for some jamming+i'm totally in2 the bass+not a frustrated guitarist.been playing forever+i've studied music in one college+am curently studying in jazz college so if you need a bass player who can play+is open 2 all kinds of music i'm digging you stuff+i can write songs 2 and all that so hit me up if your intersted at 0863132727
    text is prolly best
    cheers man

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

Hi, I've been playing drums for about 8 years, and have plenty of gigging experience. I listen to all sorts of music, and write a few songs as well, so I'd be up for a bit of singing. I'm a huge fan of stuff like fleet foxes and yeasayer, as well as jazz, blues, funk, folk, everything, really.
    I used to play in this band :http://www.bebo.com/Profile.jsp?MemberId=1372741762
    if you want to listen to my playing, but I've been looking to do something more varied.

Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

I am a middle aged man who has mediocre chops, bad ears and an inability to hold down large volumes of beer or carry heavy gear around but I am your joint PhD supervisor and demand some kind of involvement in your band, perhaps as an image consultant or maybe something backstage to protect you from groupies. My influences are everything except Opera (apart from the good bits that Pavarotti used to sing) or Big Tom and the Mainliners style Irish cowboy hat country and western.

Desmo

• Advertisement

Desmo wrote: »
    I am a middle aged man who has mediocre chops, bad ears and an inability to hold down large volumes of beer or carry heavy gear around but I am your joint PhD supervisor and demand some kind of involvement in your band, perhaps as an image consultant or maybe something backstage to protect you from groupies. My influences are everything except Opera (apart from the good bits that Pavarotti used to sing) or Big Tom and the Mainliners style Irish cowboy hat country and western.

I might have a vacancy for an opening act, maybe a solo jazz guitar thing. Unfortunately, I'm working on a very important paper at the moment, so I'm way too busy to hold auditions, but maybe you could post some clips on YouTube and I'll see if I can fit you in somehow.

Advertisement