Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Influences (that old chestnut)

Options
  • 30-07-2008 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14

I'm in the process of trying to get togther an originals band (doing some rough demos, will put out a call for people on this board shortly), and I find I'm being asked about my "influences" a lot. This is something I honestly had given no thought to whatsoever, but friends/promoters/myspace etc seem very curious about.

So my question: how do you go about answering a question like that? List bands you listen to? Ask your mates what other bands they think you sound like? List that one band whose chord sequence you ripped off for that one song? I mean, when working on the mechanics of songwriting and arrangement, do any of ye say "we will aim to draw inspiration from these x acts", where x is a smallish number?

Opinions please!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Moon_Eyes

I'm in the process of trying to get togther an originals band (doing some rough demos, will put out a call for people on this board shortly), and I find I'm being asked about my "influences" a lot. This is something I honestly had given no thought to whatsoever, but friends/promoters/myspace etc seem very curious about.

So my question: how do you go about answering a question like that? List bands you listen to? Ask your mates what other bands they think you sound like? List that one band whose chord sequence you ripped off for that one song? I mean, when working on the mechanics of songwriting and arrangement, do any of ye say "we will aim to draw inspiration from these x acts", where x is a smallish number?

Opinions please!

What instrument do you play? Who do you admire who plays the same instrument? What type of song writing styles do you admire? Everything you listen to influences you, just as everything you refuse to listen to or aren't exposed to will somewhat restrict your style. It's like a heavy metal guitarist switching to listening to country music lots and then taking some of that style into their own playing, that's what influence means to me, pretty simple really, kind of like the clue is in the word. It's not so much that people intentionally go out to eminate a style, but if they exclusively listen to one particular artist or style, then they you will definitely hear similarities (sometimes it doesn't work because all they pick up is the bad habits eek!) That's my take on influence anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I find I'm being asked about my "influences" a lot. how do you go about answering a question like that?
    I find the easiest answer is just be honest. When you first started to play your instrument what songs did you learn first? Now that you can play your instrument, what songs do you tend jam along to? When you're driving in your car what do you play on the CD player? When you're in the gym or walking what do you play on your MP3 player? If you compose music, do you find your compositions sounding similar to other musicians?

Whatever the answer(s) to those questions are, they are probably likely to be your inflluences :).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,031 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I'd list some of my favourite bands, and try to keep it to the ones we sound vaguely like. I don't really like doing it though. Don't like trying to describe what genre I play either. I just say rock, but that's not enough for the vast majority of people. Ah well, has to be done.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Just put down god, they love that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

Influences are very important since it defines the kind of music you're going to play. You can't just define by genre as most genres are too broad and overlap. For instance both Queens of the Stone Age and Red Hot Chili Peppers would count as "Alternative Rock" to some people.

• Advertisement

Influences are very important since it defines the kind of music you're going to play. You can't just define by genre as most genres are too broad and overlap. For instance both Queens of the Stone Age and Red Hot Chili Peppers would count as "Alternative Rock" to some people.
    I agree. There's no point saying "I like metal" or "I like early nineties Grunge" as both statements cover a huge variety of bands. By naming specific bands or musicians you illustrate what you like and most people will only play in a band if they enjoy it which they are more likely to do if it's music that they like. Either that or they are getting paid lots of money to do it :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭corkstudent

It's particularly important for me because I want to do music with elements of specific bands that most people in Ireland haven't even heard of.

It's particularly important for me because I want to do music with elements of specific bands that most people in Ireland haven't even heard of.
    Have you spoken to most people in Ireland about these bands? If not then how do you know whether they have heard of them or not? ;)

Who are these bands anyway? I'm curious!

Advertisement