Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti Wrinkle Creams

• 30-11-2008 11:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

Now,

I know most of you young fabulous looking women probably have no use for such a thing, but I was wandering around a few stores with my better half over the weekend and couldn't help noticing the amount of these creams the real shocker was the price of some of them were through the roof and were getting lapped up by all ages.

So, do they actually work? maybe your mother or a "friend" has used these miracle creams with amazing results.

If you don't buy them now as you've no need is it something you would consider using?

is there any point trying to reverse the inevitable ?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

I am very skeptical to be honest. It seems like whacking the term 'anti-ageing' on anything means you can bump up the price... There is little difference between them and regular moisturisers.
    Also, I found it very funny that hyaluronic acid is in many anti-ageing creams, as it is the major component in snot (it's what makes your snot sticky)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭GirlInterrupted

ntlbell wrote: »
    Now,

I know most of you young fabulous looking women probably have no use for such a thing, but I was wandering around a few stores with my better half over the weekend and couldn't help noticing the amount of these creams the real shocker was the price of some of them were through the roof and were getting lapped up by all ages.

So, do they actually work? maybe your mother or a "friend" has used these miracle creams with amazing results.

If you don't buy them now as you've no need is it something you would consider using?

is there any point trying to reverse the inevitable ?

A friend of mine, a chemical engineer, tells me that the difference between the most expensive and the least expensive of these is miniscule.

There are two factors in skin aging, intrinsic and extrinsic. Intrinsic aging is the type of thing you'll see around the eyes as years of expressions leave their mark. I happen to think lines around the eyes are beautiful and give the face character.

Extrinsic aging is cause by the like of sun exposure, and you can do something about this in terms of using an spf in your moisturiser on a daily basis.

Other than that, you should just use a good, reasonably priced moisturiser to lubricate the skin and cause a bit less wear and tear from everyday movement and expressions.

One thing you should never do is fall for the pseudo-science of the skincare advertisments, which rely on terminology of the companies own devising to make their products sound effective against what is, in fact, inevitable. They also pander to, and foster, insecurity in women themselves and exploit the fear of aging that is endemic in society today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

The difference that adds the zero on to the end of the price tends to be the volume of active ingredient in the cream - so it's not that the high end, 200 quid creams have some amazing ingredient in them. They just have more of the same.

As it stands with current technology, the supermarket-available higher end of the known brands appear to be perfectly effective - high SPF (up to 30 in Olay products, v. good for pale Irish skins), some antioxidants, easily absorbed, don't cause allergic reactions.

I think it's more important to use a mild, effective cleanser and wash your face morning and night, keep your skin out of the sun, don't leave cheap, drying, chemical-filled makeup on your skin for 16 hours a day - that and eating, drinking and sleeping well will do more for your skin than a pot of cream ever will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

Greater love hath no child than this, that a boy give up his foreskin for his mother to have an unwrinkled face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

I don't believe in them so I don't use them and I won't in the future either. I just wash my face with soap and water. Sometimes my skin gets a bit dry and itchy so I put some moisturising stuff on it then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭mimihops

hey, there was a really interesting feature on that program "How To Look Good Naked" where they tested all the really expensive anti wrinkle creams and the aldi anti wrinkle cream one came out top out of all of them! and its only 2euros or something. i'd personally think suncream is really important to prevent aging along with good diet and stuff. but it just goes to show you don't have to fork out loads for expensive creams when its basically the same stuff in the aldi one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I was glad to get some it was strange being 30 adn not having a single line on my brow or laughter lines. Wrinles are what happens when skin ages, I always laugh at women who spend made money on jars of cream but still smoke.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Id never buy a miracle cream that cost a mint, common sense will tell you its 99% marketing and 1% substance youre paying for. The advice I was given when I was 17 was always moisturise your skin with some kind of cream, it doesnt have to be fancy, just as long as you use something. And that aldi one is great, btw. The wrinkles are creeping up on me now, but slowly. I wish they wouldnt, but I wouldnt change em and go back to being a smooth skinned but exceedingly thick teenager again. Ill take them and the experience Ive gained with them.

Im with Beautiful South when it comes to wrinkles these days:
    Lets take a look at these crows feet, just look
    Sitting on the prettiest eyes
    Sixty 25th of Decembers
    Fifty-nine 4th of Julys
    You can't have too many good times, children
    You can't have too many lines
    Take a good look at these crows feet
    Sitting on the prettiest eyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I was glad to get some it was strange being 30 adn not having a single line on my brow or laughter lines. Wrinles are what happens when skin ages, I always laugh at women who spend made money on jars of cream but still smoke.

Its really not that strange. its not the smokers I laugh at. They need it. Its the 21 year olds buying creme de la mare, which is for really old ladies or women with ash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭twanda

I saw a programme a few months ago that delved into the world of anti-aging creams. Apparantly if you are a skin cream manufacturer and you want to market a skin cream as ''anti-aging'' - then all you need to do is add an SPF (sun protection) to the ingredients and hey-presto, you can market your product as the latest and greatest anti-aging cream.
    That is apparantly what a lot of the top skincare companies do. All the other special ingredients that they glorify in the ads are just hype. Hence,any of the the lower tier brands ( Aldi, Tesco etc.) that also have an SPF are just as effective. The programme ended with the conclusion that what people are paying for is just the name. After I watched it I vowed never to fall for the big brands with their big prices again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭LolaLuv

The only anti-wrinkle creams I trust (and use) are ones with Alpha Hydroxy Acids, which have been proven to work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_hydroxy_acid

Little info.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭burberry

Is this available to buy in ire

burberry wrote: »
    Is this available to buy in ire

Do you mean AHAs?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭burberry

sorry read that wrong thought it was a name of a cream

Nope, but I'm sure products with AHAs must be available here. Neutrogena Pore Refining Toner is one. I use it and like it quite a bit.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Lush have one called Paradise Regained that has AHAs and SPF, but it is a little heavy for my oil-prone skin

Advertisement