Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What authors would you recommend?

Options
  • 28-11-2008 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

I like reading so called 'chick lit' novels by authors like Marian Keyes (whom I love!), Sheila O'Flanagan, Sophie Kinsella etc. but I found I've read all their books in my local library and am lucky to find one I haven't read. Can anyone recommend other female writers along the same style as them? Something light hearted with some humour. I find Cecelia Ahearn's books to be really far fetched and just rubbish!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Puddleduck

Try Louise bagshaw..its full of smut too.

That or just go into chapters second hand section and look for books with colourful covers..theyre usually the easy reads

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

try jodi piccoult. She is more interesting than the usual chick lit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

I've never read anything from Bagshaw before, I'll keep an eye out for her. Don't have a Chapters in my area so it's the library for me. I've read a few Jodi Picoult books but she can be a bit heavy. Any one in particular of hers that you'd recommend? I loved Salem Falls.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭bills

well you have got to read my sisters keepers if you have not already. Also reccomend plain truth, the tenth circle - have not got around to reading any of her recent titles but on my to do list.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭mollybird

you never heard of patricia scanlan and danielle steel?? very famous and both excellent. you will find loads of their books in lib.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭dubscribe

Clearly we have the same taste. I agree, Marian Keyes is brilliant and the kindest thing I can say about Cecelia Ahearn's books is that I don’t like her style.

OK, so Irish chick-lit – dare I ask have you read any of Maeve Binchy’s books? If you haven’t you are in for a serious treat and there are lots and lots to choose from. She’s been very prolific and is extremely popular. My favourite one would be her first one “Light a Penny Candle” – brilliant.

Then there is Suzanne Higgins? Tragically she’s only published three but each one is a ripping read.

Other Irish writers I can strongly recommend are Anna Dillon and Mary Hosty. Why don’t you check out www.poolbeg.com – THE Irish publisher of chick-lit. You can check out on site what authors you like and then try and find them in your local library

There’s an American writer I can recommend: Jennifer Weiner, I very much enjoy reading her books and similarly Debby Holt (UK) wrote 2 excellent books which were good.

I’m unemployed now and can’t afford to buy books, which is one of my passions. However the local library has been a Godsend. You know even if your local library doesn’t have the book you want, you can request it from another library? I’m with Wexford town library but regularly request books from Enniscorthy and New Ross. It generally takes a week or so to come through. AND they will text you and let you know when it is ready for collection

Another tip – check out www.amazon.co.uk. Search for chick-lit books you like, then cross reference them with the library catalogue, bet you’ll find lots of great books that way too. I am assuming you have access to the internet and know how to access the library on-line. If not, your local librarian will help you –just ask.

Best of luck and enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

bills wrote: »
    well you have got to read my sisters keepers if you have not already. Also reccomend plain truth, the tenth circle - have not got around to reading any of her recent titles but on my to do list.

+1 on my sisters keeper

ive read most of her books but thats my favourite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Phillipa Gregory
    Brontes

Puddleduck wrote: »

Ditto she's a fave of mine too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭Marz66

Melissa Hill is really good. Alison Pearson - I Don't Know How She Does It is v good too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Irishshin

Melissa Hill is very good really like her,
    Also Jill Mansell, love her books.
    Dorothy Koomson is fantastic

Someone who I found recently is Paige Toon, she has two books, Lucy In The Sky & Johnny Be Good and both are excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

You have got to try Melissa Hill she is excellent, you will NOT be disappointed!!!

Dubscribe, I am like you with books, and ive a big huge sack of them, just read them once, but i'm not allowed put them up in my new apartment (one rule made my OH) so if you want them, i'll pass them over to you because i'd love someone that would enjoy them to have them. Just havent got around to giving them to charity.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭dubscribe

WOW GIRL.... you're not like you name sake at all :)

YES - PLEASE, if you would give me your novels I would love to have them :)

I've travelled the world and have given my books away so often. Recently I've started to accumulate my absolute favourites again (maybe 3rd time round) in charity stores. Great value and I've more than contributed my share over the years.

So, your OH won't let you have them in the new apt - oh, bummer.

Well, I promise, I would love them and keep them safe.

Finally, I'm at home (in Ireland) and have my own place without an OH to say what's in and what's out - tis MY space

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭quinevere

Puddleduck wrote: »

That or just go into chapters second hand section and look for books with colourful covers..theyre usually the easy reads

got to agree big louise bagshaw fame read them all and lot of mental stimulation if only men could be like that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭mud

Give Adele Parks a go, and maybe Minette Williams, neither are Irish but good enough reads, I usually enjoy fantasy/magicalrealism/scifi but my friend passes books on to me and being a bibliophile I read 'em all! I have to say I like Jodi Piccoult, Tess Patterson and Patricia Cornwell are enjoyable reads as well, good luck!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

I'd second Adele Parks.

Anita Notaro is another Irish writer - first two books are good fun chick lit, and her most recent one ('take a look at me now') is very moving. I love it when an author tries new approaches.

Sarah Webb (Irish) - chick lit and mum lit. Lovely light touch.

Kate Thompson (again Irish) is another good fun writer.

If you're looking for long, epic tales Penny Vincenzi (English) writes really fantastic beach reads - her books can be twice as thick as the ones around them on the shelves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

Thanks for all the replies, some of the authors I hadn't heard of. I've read My Sisters Keeper, it was my first Jodi Picoult book and I was hooked. Plain Truth was excellent too. I always find her books hard to get in to at first but them I'm hooked. I got the Tenth Circle in the library though and just couldn't get into it at all. Maybe I should try it again?

I've never read anything by Maeve Binchy. My mother used read her books years ago so I suppose I always just associated her books as being for 'older' ladies! Silly? I sort of feel the same about Patricia Scanlon. I've read Melissa Hill's books, she's good alright. I just got Sophie Kinsella's 'Shopaholic and Baby' yesterday so am going to start that today. I've read the other two in the Shopaholic series. I love her style of writing, it's quiet humourous. Anyway, back to the study for me :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

What about Margaret Atwood (Handmaid's Tale)?

or Joanne Harris? She wrote Chocolat (as in the movie), the Lollipop Shoes is her latest.

Dubray have 3 for 2 on quite a few of these type of books (For purposes of full disclosure I'm working PT in Dubray Books :p) such as The Secret Life of Bees (a popular one at the moment) and Second Glance (Picoult - you may have read it already)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭gidget

If your into Sophie Kinsella & Marian Keyes like myself - Another author i find good is Rachel Colgan who would be similar. I'd particularly recommend Amanda's Wedding - read that in a day as i couldn't put it down!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 little red

luvlylady wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies, some of the authors I hadn't heard of. I've read My Sisters Keeper, it was my first Jodi Picoult book and I was hooked. Plain Truth was excellent too. I always find her books hard to get in to at first but them I'm hooked. I got the Tenth Circle in the library though and just couldn't get into it at all. Maybe I should try it again?

i absolutely love jodi picoult, my sisters keeper is brilliant, has me in tears every time i read it lol. i also found tenth circle hard to get into but found it was worth sticking with

this is a great thread, given me plenty of names to check out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

anna mcpartlin is really good as well, think she has 3 books out, found them all great reads.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,226 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Ultra Violet, by Nancy Bush, is about young Jane Kelly, a private investigator in training. Also Electric Blue by the same author and more about character Jane Kelly. Fun reads.

Links:
    http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-Violet-Jane-Kelly-Mysteries/dp/075820910X
    http://www.amazon.com/Electric-Blue-Jane-Kelly-Mysteries/dp/0758209088

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭Faddymackshyte

bills wrote: »
    try jodi piccoult. She is more interesting than the usual chick lit.

Jodi Piccoult is sooooo unbelievably good. They tend to be quite slow starting out, but the stories themselves are incredible. We're big fans of hers in my house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

melissa hill is great, if you're getting one of her books get "the last to know" its great :)

dubscribe wrote: »
    WOW GIRL.... you're not like you name sake at all :)

YES - PLEASE, if you would give me your novels I would love to have them :)

I've travelled the world and have given my books away so often. Recently I've started to accumulate my absolute favourites again (maybe 3rd time round) in charity stores. Great value and I've more than contributed my share over the years.

So, your OH won't let you have them in the new apt - oh, bummer.

Well, I promise, I would love them and keep them safe.

Finally, I'm at home (in Ireland) and have my own place without an OH to say what's in and what's out - tis MY space

:)

ah he doesnt mind really but they just dont go with the decor lol and we dont have a study room!!
    Anywho, i'll pm me you now and arrange to give them to ... i'll be crying but i'm sure you will understand :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i love John Fowles, i have re-read most of his books numerous times. The Magus has got to be my favourite - hmmmm time i might have to re-start it again tonight,

John Steinbeck is another writer i keep going back to.

oh and how could i forget Declan Burke, one the best irish crime writers around at the moment. You have to read The big O......funny, witty, grabbing with a twist and his other one 8 ball boogie supreme books

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

try douglas kennedy..the big job or anything else............he very good. anyone comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭dulchie75

sam34 wrote: »
    anna mcpartlin is really good as well, think she has 3 books out, found them all great reads.

Anna's books are great especially Pack Up The Moon - her first one - I cried so much but it was brill.

I also like Claudia Carroll - played nicola in fair city - her books are good too, recommend "Tell me again why I need a man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭giddybootz

i prefere crime/thriller/scary books like king, koontz and cornwall but i do like jodi picoult...19 minutes is a really good one of hers! you should defo check it out :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement