Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armed Gardaí halt 1916 Societies' St. Patrick's Day plane banner!

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 jdawson

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    No they're just rightfully sceptical of your good intent. History has thought us to fear republicans in this country and frankly I'm glad they're keeping your group and others like it on a short lease for the first couple years.
    History teaches no such thing. In a few weeks time people from all sorts of backgrounds (including the largest mainstream political parties FG/SF/FF) will commemorate the Republicans who fought in the 1916 Rising, we will listen to anti-Republican politicians pay lip service to Republican ideals. The idea of Republican boogeymen, the "bad" IRA and the "good" IRA, is quite frankly ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭sparkling sea

jdawson wrote: »
    History teaches no such thing. In a few weeks time people from all sorts of backgrounds (including the largest mainstream political parties FG/SF/FF) will commemorate the Republicans who fought in the 1916 Rising, we will listen to anti-Republican politicians pay lip service to Republican ideals. The idea of Republican boogeymen, the "bad" IRA and the "good" IRA, is quite frankly ridiculous.

Its not ridiculous to me. Your right though some history has thought us to be proud of the traditional image of early 20th century old Republicans, however reality has thought us to fear late 20th/early 21st century so called "Republicans" and thats why many of us do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭golfball37

Its not ridiculous to me. Your right though some history has thought us to be proud of the traditional image of early 20th century old Republicans, however reality has thought us to fear late 20th/early 21st century so called "Republicans" and thats why many of us do.

You haven't read your history if you think the Old IRA were holier than thou.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

golfball37 wrote: »
    The families of the Monaghan/Dublin victims weren't Republicans and yet they were given the specail treatment by AGS also.

Indeed, I'm not saying AGS is perfect or anything so it's a pretty moot point, the current saga and scandals in Donegal show that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

what exactly is the difference???????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

what exactly is the difference???????

the difference is that history is written by the victor.

the romanticised view of the republican warrior at the time of the war of independence is a far cry from the view of the republican warrior today.

Today he is viewed as a thug. The historical one is viewed as a hero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Initially the National Flight Centre in Kildare had agreed to fly the banner and accepted payment in full to that end only to mysteriously cancel twenty-four hours prior to the scheduled flight, claiming it was necessary to do so as the plane had developed unforeseen 'technical difficulties'.

Dublin ATC and Weston ATC would be the ones giving clearance for that flight. It has nothing to do with the Gardai. Most flights out of NTC are student pilots or introductory voucher flights. In all my years of flying, I have never interacted with the police flying out of Weston. Hand on heart, I can't recall ever seeing them out there.

Secondly, how do you know that the aircraft didn't have a technical issue? Those aircrafts are on the go from early morning til end of VFR. It is far from impossible that a technical issue arose with the aircraft the previous day. Did you, one of your members or a member of your media alliance see or have proof that the aircraft was in use that day? Personally, as a pilot, I find this whole story very hard to believe.
    I was strip searched in the middle of Henry St. once, they always go over-the-top with republicans.

And what reason was given to you for the search? Did they tell you that they were stopping and searching you because you are a republican? God, if the police are stopping and strip search every republican in Ireland, they are going be at it 24/7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I was strip searched in the middle of Henry St. once, they always go over-the-top with republicans.

Seriously, strip-searched? You were probably asked to remove your coat to see whether you were carrying any concealed weapons and you refused.
    The 1916 Societies have been reliably informed that efforts on St. Patrick's Day to promote our legitimate political campaign for an all-Ireland referendum on Irish reunification, through the use of a light-airplane carrying a banner with our flagship message of 'One Ireland-One Vote' during the parade celebrations in Dublin city, met with state intimidation and censorship at the hands of An Gardai Siochana.

Initially the National Flight Centre in Kildare had agreed to fly the banner and accepted payment in full to that end only to mysteriously cancel twenty-four hours prior to the scheduled flight, claiming it was necessary to do so as the plane had developed unforeseen 'technical difficulties'.

Following contact from local media outlet the Leinster Leader it was brought to our attention that armed Gardai carrying assault weapons arrived at the airport in a menacing show of force, warning its management not to fly the banner. Although suspicions of political interference to some degree or other were already considered as the likely cause of the last-minute decision to cancel our plans we were nonetheless shocked when told the full extent of the sinister and violent role of the state in this incident and are appalled by what amounts to threatening, gestapo-type tactics to undermine and censor our legitimate and peaceful movement.

Despite repeated protestations from the state and its organs that this type of censorship has long been consigned to the past this amounts to an alarming development which questions the democratic bona fides of both the Gardai and the state which it serves. Our message is simple and is a threat to no-one, we see national self-determination expressed through an all-Ireland referendum as the way to bring about the reunification of our country and our work is to that end and that end alone.

Such outrageous intervention on behalf of the state to limit free and democratic expression should be opposed by all right-thinking people and ultimately demonstrates the repressive leanings of those in authority in our country today. The 1916 Societies remain undeterred and fully committed to our vision of a 32-county sovereign Ireland where censorship, marginalisation and the apparatus of repression used to enable their implementation are consigned to the dustbin of history where they belong.

Do you think anyone would be happy with an extremist republican group flying a plane over central Dublin at the time of the St. Patrick's Day Parade with maximum international exposure? While a 9/11 incident is far-fetched (you would think even republican fanatics aren't that stupid), flying low to distract and attract attention would certainly be one way of interfering with peoples' enjoyment of the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The email I sent them personally on the 17/02/2014, exactly a month before the date to confirm what we wanted:

Message on plane: 1 Ireland 1 Vote 1916[In Red]Societies

Bold in message in black.

Time: 12pm to 1pm over Dublin city centre and general Dublin area.

Could you confirm the number we've to call to make payment and price (inclusive of all taxes)?

You actually paid real money to do this?

Good lord.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,741 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

You actually paid real money to do this?

Good lord.

No he got a refund when the armed Gardai turned up and threatened to execute the pilot and arrest his family on a charge of constant breathing.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

So...apparently no evidence has been presented for the claim that makes the thread political?

OP can contact me if there's any actual hard evidence. Otherwise this thread belongs in the same place as all those threads we had claiming the Mint was printing punts again, which had exactly the same amount of evidence ("someone said") and were all bunkum.

moderately,
    Scofflaw

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement