Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Armed Gardaí halt 1916 Societies' St. Patrick's Day plane banner!

Options
  • 22-03-2014 8:58am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭

The 1916 Societies have been reliably informed that efforts on St. Patrick's Day to promote our legitimate political campaign for an all-Ireland referendum on Irish reunification, through the use of a light-airplane carrying a banner with our flagship message of 'One Ireland-One Vote' during the parade celebrations in Dublin city, met with state intimidation and censorship at the hands of An Gardai Siochana.

Initially the National Flight Centre in Kildare had agreed to fly the banner and accepted payment in full to that end only to mysteriously cancel twenty-four hours prior to the scheduled flight, claiming it was necessary to do so as the plane had developed unforeseen 'technical difficulties'.

Following contact from local media outlet the Leinster Leader it was brought to our attention that armed Gardai carrying assault weapons arrived at the airport in a menacing show of force, warning its management not to fly the banner. Although suspicions of political interference to some degree or other were already considered as the likely cause of the last-minute decision to cancel our plans we were nonetheless shocked when told the full extent of the sinister and violent role of the state in this incident and are appalled by what amounts to threatening, gestapo-type tactics to undermine and censor our legitimate and peaceful movement.

Despite repeated protestations from the state and its organs that this type of censorship has long been consigned to the past this amounts to an alarming development which questions the democratic bona fides of both the Gardai and the state which it serves. Our message is simple and is a threat to no-one, we see national self-determination expressed through an all-Ireland referendum as the way to bring about the reunification of our country and our work is to that end and that end alone.

Such outrageous intervention on behalf of the state to limit free and democratic expression should be opposed by all right-thinking people and ultimately demonstrates the repressive leanings of those in authority in our country today. The 1916 Societies remain undeterred and fully committed to our vision of a 32-county sovereign Ireland where censorship, marginalisation and the apparatus of repression used to enable their implementation are consigned to the dustbin of history where they belong.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

Apart from the whole social or political sides of it, we can't afford the other six counties.

Aside from that, have you any actual physical proof of these "armed Gardai with assault weapons" ? Any video or photos? Because without that I'm calling shennanagins on your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

Sure what would you expect from a pig only a grunt. The Guards aren't the greatest fans of free speech to be fair and will often intervene to disrupt legitimate political activity ranging from putting up posters to handing out leaflets.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,335 ✭✭✭Tiocfaidh Armani

OU812 wrote: »
    Apart from the whole social or political sides of it, we can't afford the other six counties.

Aside from that, have you any actual physical proof of these "armed Gardai with assault weapons" ? Any video or photos? Because without that I'm calling shennanagins on your claim.

You can choose not to believe, someone who works at the airport advised the newspaper and they contacted us. Funny they knew we planned on flying a banner and knew what was going on it. Lucky guess, maybe? I don't think do.
    Sure what would you expect from a pig only a grunt. The Guards aren't the greatest fans of free speech to be fair and will often intervene to disrupt legitimate political activity ranging from putting up posters to handing out leaflets.

Precisely, but republicans only know violence there's nothing stopping us using other methods - only the state that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

Can politics not be left out of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭OU812

if there's proof, I'll agree with you that it was a shocking thing to happen & shouldn't have (I might not agree with your opinions, but I'll defend your right to have them), but in this age of camera phones & youtube, if you haven't got proof, then sorry, it didn't happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

The premise of the vote is flawed. Anyway political points scoring shouldn't happened on st patricks day. Im glad they stopped you attempt to hijack the event.

Anyway it would need at least 3 referendums 1st northern ireland to leave the uk voted on either by itself or the uk as a whole, the republic has no legitimate reason for being allowed interfere in another states in this case. The 2nd and 3rd referendums would see if the republic and the north each seperately wanted to join. The north could run both it's ref in tandem with the proviso that their cedeing was required for the other to be valid but an all ireland vote in a single referdum is basically annexation of the north if it passed.

The gardai do their job. Do you need permission for these kind of flights? Hoe about the impact it would have on the weekend which is used as an advertisment dor the nation. I think you're trying to score points here.

The gardai do their job. Do you need permission for these kind of flights? Hoe about the impact it would have on the weekend which is used as an advertisment dor the nation. I think you're trying to score points here.

Their job isn't to stop political expression. We broke no laws and did nothing wrong - and it certainly didn't warrant armed police to come into a small airport.

We're trying to score points? No. We're highlighting political suppression here and we've every right to do it. It's an outrage and it's nothing to do with St. Patrick's Day. We tried to book another day and they don't wanna know - they've obviously been told not to do anything for us.

Yeah, we're the bad guys. Jog on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Imo, a more plausible reason for cancellation was that the pilot or aircraft owner decided to abort the 'mission' and spun a merry tale to deflect blame.
    It wouldn't take a dramatic armed Gardaí show of force to deter either the pilot, the aircraft owner or the airfield, just a gentle reminder that they need to be licensed and are subject to airworthiness regulations and inspections.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

The only reason I'm having trouble believing this is that the Gardai
    usually chicken out of tackling anything tougher than emaciated students and strung out hippies.

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Imo, a more plausible reason for cancellation was that the pilot or aircraft owner decided to abort the 'mission' and spun a merry tale to deflect blame.
    It wouldn't take a dramatic armed Gardaí show of force to deter either the pilot, the aircraft owner or the airfield, just a gentle reminder that they need to be licensed and are subject to airworthiness regulations and inspections.

They are licensed and they did spin a merry tale, they told us it had technical difficulties. It didn't. They got a visit from the Guards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

....well the gardai have a history of becoming the hard hand of the state when FG are in power.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

FG sent armed Gardaí around to illegally prevent a flight!!!
    Politics café -> After Hours -> Conspiracy Theories ...

Phoebas wrote: »
    FG sent armed Gardaí around to illegally prevent a flight!!!
    Politics café -> After Hours -> Conspiracy Theories ...

This is the same party that diverted a flight to try and stop a burial.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,090 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Nodin wrote: »

Source ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

OU812 wrote: »

I searched for a while on Google but it doesn't show up anything elsewhere on-line about this alleged incident other than a cut & paste on their (196 Societies) facebook site and a cut & paste in another Irish forum by someone with the same alias as the OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Nodin wrote: »

Whats this all about?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 jdawson

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Following contact from local media outlet the Leinster Leader it was brought to our attention that armed Gardai carrying assault weapons arrived at the airport in a menacing show of force, warning its management not to fly the banner.
    I find it hard to believe that the ERU went to the airport to stop the banner, unless their informer had led them to believe that it wouldn't be just a banner on board the plane. By this, I mean the normal Gardai could have gone if their info was only a banner.

Also, do you know the flight route of the plane?

the_syco wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe that the ERU went to the airport to stop the banner, unless their informer had led them to believe that it wouldn't be just a banner on board the plane. By this, I mean the normal Gardai could have gone if their info was only a banner.

I don't, I'm a republican and know the levels they will stoop to surpress republican thought. Of course it was just a banner, it was just the pilot from the company going to be flying the plane, we wouldn't be on it.

It was just over the general Dublin area from 12-1pm.

The email I sent them personally on the 17/02/2014, exactly a month before the date to confirm what we wanted:

Message on plane: 1 Ireland 1 Vote 1916[In Red]Societies

Bold in message in black.

Time: 12pm to 1pm over Dublin city centre and general Dublin area.

Could you confirm the number we've to call to make payment and price (inclusive of all taxes)?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

you have a very naïve view of the interaction between gardai and republican/potentially subversive groups
    if you find this hard to believe....alright it was sensatiolist abit to mention armed gaurds.....they were never in all honesty going to open fire on the airport staff
    usually their tactic is to blackmail/undermine those who go up against the government/ gaurds themselves (see clare daly being handcuffed for drink-ddriving....never heard of anyone being handcuffed for being bagged before)

you have a very naïve view of the interaction between gardai and republican/potentially subversive groups
    if you find this hard to believe....alright it was sensatiolist abit to mention armed gaurds.....they were never in all honesty going to open fire on the airport staff
    usually their tactic is to blackmail/undermine those who go up against the government/ gaurds themselves (see clare daly being handcuffed for drink-ddriving....never heard of anyone being handcuffed for being bagged before)

I was strip searched in the middle of Henry St. once, they always go over-the-top with republicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Precisely, but republicans only know violence there's nothing stopping us using other methods - only the state that is.

In fairness, saying in response to "what do you expect from a pig only a grunt", posting precisely, hardly helps.

Guards have to deal with "the only good Guard is a dead Guard" type nonsense from "Republicans". Lots of bridges to be built from both sides.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

In fairness, saying in response to "what do you expect from a pig only a grunt", posting precisely, hardly helps.

Well when you're a teenager who gets "gets brought in for questioning" and detained for the guts of a day while they threaten to beat the f*ck out of you unless you make up lies about people you know, it tends to colour your view of them slightly.

I was handing out leaflets one afternoon in Cork City and had two Special Branch detectives attempt to take them off me, imagine like, trying to seize an idea. Similarly during Windsor's visit I was detained for over two hours on the side of the road by up to 15 cops at one stage, including the armed response unit.

All of the above (and I've ten years worth of stories about them) occurred throughout the course of legitimate political activity by the way while I was never member of an armed group. The behaviour of the cops leaves a lot to be desired in many respects.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,778 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

I find it hard to believe that the ERU went to the airport to stop the banner, unless their informer had led them to believe that it wouldn't be just a banner on board the plane.

or to give that justification, of course it had to more if the ERU were sent!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

This could easily be interoperated as a threat against the state. Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

FTA69 wrote: »
    Well when you're a teenager who gets "gets brought in for questioning" and detained for the guts of a day while they threaten to beat the f*ck out of you unless you make up lies about people you know, it tends to colour your view of them slightly.

I was handing out leaflets one afternoon in Cork City and had two Special Branch detectives attempt to take them off me, imagine like, trying to seize an idea. Similarly during Windsor's visit I was detained for over two hours on the side of the road by up to 15 cops at one stage, including the armed response unit.

All of the above (and I've ten years worth of stories about them) occurred throughout the course of legitimate political activity by the way while I was never member of an armed group. The behaviour of the cops leaves a lot to be desired in many respects.

I don't doubt your experiences whatsoever, there's a mutual hatred there between both and both have good reasons, it's why I was careful to post that both elements need to build bridges. I'd have a little experience of common views on both sides, so just my observation.

Going on what you've posted, seems to be a real lack of cop on from the Guards side.
    Iwasfrozen wrote:
    This could easily be interoperated as a threat against the state. Care to elaborate?

I think he was being sarcastic, sardonic maybe?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Iwasfrozen wrote: »

Okay. People saying republicans can only use violence to make a point. We're a peaceful group using peaceful means to make our point and still they stop us - are they afraid of the message?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Okay. People saying republicans can only use violence to make a point. We're a peaceful group using peaceful means to make our point and still they stop us - are they afraid of the message?
    No they're just rightfully sceptical of your good intent. History has thought us to fear republicans in this country and frankly I'm glad they're keeping your group and others like it on a short lease for the first couple years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,581 ✭✭✭golfball37

K-9 wrote: »

Guards have to deal with "the only good Guard is a dead Guard" type nonsense from "Republicans". Lots of bridges to be built from both sides.

The families of the Monaghan/Dublin victims weren't Republicans and yet they were given the specail treatment by AGS also.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement