Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

3DS XL

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

My mates looking for one of these, where's the cheapest place for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Japan gets all the cool stuff!

original.jpg

original.jpg

God that red one is lovely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Loving that Animal Crossing one, anyone remember the old classic Manchester United Gameboy, I wouldn't mind a 3DS XL Red Devil style.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭maddymcmaddser

Irish Halo wrote: »
    Well they both keep asking for the internet and Nintendo say it needs the internet:

I can vouch that you need an internet connection to do this, I traded in my 3DS for an XL and didn't want to lose the games I had already bought. Gamestop didn't have a wifi connection so I used my phone as wifi hot spot and both consoles had to connect to it, only for a few seconds but it definitely needs to connect. It then took me 2 hours of standing around in Gamestop for all my files to copy over!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭valleyoftheunos

According to last night's Nintendo Direct all First party Nintendo games are no going to be available digitally at the same time as retail, That means that a US console would be proper option for me here in Europe as 90% of the games I buy are nintendo first party.

Interesting thought.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I want one so bad, but my regular launch 3DS is just fine...
    I'll wait for a while, pick one up later... no rush...

Just noticed, for anyone interested in buying it, the Pikachu 3dsxl is available courtesy of Smyths for €225

Pikachu 3dsxl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Why does Pikachu have nipples?

• Advertisement

I really, really want that. Even though I know how stupid it is.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

Why does Pikachu have nipples?

Why do you have nipples?

I don't. Had them surgically removed and preserved in formaldehyde.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I don't. Had them surgically removed and preserved in formaldehyde.

You didn't let them finish. They were going to say:

"Why do you have nipples, in a jar of formaldehyde on your mantlepiece?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

I'll definitely be trading my red/black xl for either the white or pikachu xl, question is, which one?? :confused: They're both awesome, I just can't decide!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

I'll definitely be trading my red/black xl for either the white or pikachu xl, question is, which one?? :confused: They're both awesome, I just can't decide!!

Why waste money like that?

• Advertisement

ShaneU wrote: »
    Why waste money like that?

It's not a waste to me, I probably won't have to put much money towards it anyway if I get a good trade-in at HMV maybe, since the model is only a few months old. I really wanted the white version when the XL first launched, but since it was only available in Japan originally, I settled for the red/black, and although it looks pretty badass, I was never completely happy with it. I know it's only superficial since the machine itself is amazing regardless of the paint job, I just prefer the look of these versions, they're more "fun" IMO. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

if I get a good trade-in

The word good & trade in very rarely go together in the same sentence

The days of good trade in prices are gone, HMV are only offering €65 cash for a PS Vita, they do however sell the 3DS XL preowned for €169.99 €35 less than Gamestop do it for.

New limited edition 3dsxl

threeangles_640x360.jpg

Only it's only available in Japan

And you have to win a raffle, in order to be able to buy it!

Only special edition handhelds I've ever liked were the NES and Famicom GBA's and the Zelda 3DS.

• Advertisement

New Japanese xl

large.jpg

I personally think the big castle at the front ruins it.

Anyone going to go for a Monster Hunter 3 bundle at the end of the month, I think I may but am pissed about the fact that the game is preloaded again, god damn Nintendo for this, I wish they would go back to hard copy games again not just for the fact that I could trade the game when finished but really so I could at least hold the box in my hand and ad it to my collection physically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭WarZoneBrother

Hey,

Maybe this is the wrong thread to put this. I am buying a 3DS XL with broken hinges. Just wondering does anyone know how much roughly it will cost to repair? .. I see I can get 2 new hinges for 10£ would it be just as handy for me to fix it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Anyone going to go for a Monster Hunter 3 bundle at the end of the month, I think I may but am pissed about the fact that the game is preloaded again, god damn Nintendo for this, I wish they would go back to hard copy games again not just for the fact that I could trade the game when finished but really so I could at least hold the box in my hand and ad it to my collection physically.
    I want the fire emblem one too but like you want a boxed game rather than a digital copy :(
    Smyths have both up for €230, but that must be a mistake as the Mario 3D land bundle is €255.

GTR63 wrote: »
    I want the fire emblem one too but like you want a boxed game rather than a digital copy :(
    Smyths have both up for €230, but that must be a mistake as the Mario 3D land bundle is €255.

I don't think it is a mistake, they also have the Pikachu one for €225 but Gamestop are charging over €250 for it, Smyths just have good deals sometimes, the Fire Emblem looks class but I can't buy both not with so much coming out in April as it is.

Hey,

Maybe this is the wrong thread to put this. I am buying a 3DS XL with broken hinges. Just wondering does anyone know how much roughly it will cost to repair? .. I see I can get 2 new hinges for 10£ would it be just as handy for me to fix it?

I don't know but if you haven't done anything like it before I'd say it could be pretty tricky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I don't think it is a mistake, they also have the Pikachu one for €225 but Gamestop are charging over €250 for it, Smyths just have good deals sometimes, the Fire Emblem looks class but I can't buy both not with so much coming out in April as it is.

Pikachu one doesn`t come with a game though, really hope it is €230 though.

What accessories are worth getting? Screen protectors and the like? Wondering if it's worth the extra few quid to get that kind of stuff with a charger rather than just a charger.

What accessories are worth getting? Screen protectors and the like? Wondering if it's worth the extra few quid to get that kind of stuff with a charger rather than just a charger.

I'd recommend getting screen protectors. The little bumpers on the upper screen were meant to resolve the screen scratching issue of the original model, but I noticed marks on the screen of my red/black xl before I swapped it for the white version.

I knew there'd be a reply made just after I left the house and would be waiting for me after I got back from paying over the odds for a charger.

• Advertisement

Definitely get things for the screen. I find the €1 ones from china do the job no problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭Tweej

Worth getting a 3DS XL rather than a 3DS?

Definitely. While the 3D effect isn't exactly essential, I found it next to useless on the smaller sized screens. Even without the 3D the difference in screen size is very large for a small premium in the price.

the XL is streets ahead of the regular 3DS in every way, its a great handheld.

My only gripe, and it applies equally to both, is that the eShop is full of shovel ware already and the Virtual Console is limited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

3ds xl is miles better. Screens make it a lot easier on your eyes, u found 3ds screens too small robe comfortable.
    then the other issues with 3ds - it's size. It's very small so holding it in hands is uncomfortable. I found my hands get very tired only after half an hour of playing! 3ds co, in other hand, has brilliant size. It fits perfect and makes it a lot better experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I don't know why i even read this thread, the last 3 posts especially. I decided i would have to treat myself and get a 3dxl, gamestop did the 100 euro deal when i traded in my standard 3ds.

All i can say is wow, its like this is how it should have been made in the first place. Its safe to say with the right titles this will probably be my favorite portable, well i suppose you could say for current generation it is as my psp vita seems to only be good for playing old ps one titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

Did anybody else have problems maintaining the 3D with the XL, I played with 3D on ALL the time with my 3DS but since switching to the XL it's so difficult to position that I now never use it, I'm actually quite upset about it because I love the 3D effect and it makes me not want to play some of my older games :\

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

My experience is quite the opposite, I find the 3d on the xl to be easier to watch, and the sense of depth to be greater, if that's possible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 334 ✭✭jaydoxx

Yeah I hear that alot, I don't know why I seem to have issues with it but maybe it's down to the fact I was very comfortable with the standard model 3DS, unlike others. I think I'll try get used to it with the new Animal Crossing, it should be a calm enough gaming experience, compared with Monster Hunter anyway :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I really want a 3DS XL! :o And a Vita, and millions upon millions of other things. Damn you life, damn you to hell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

EnterNow wrote: »
    I really want a 3DS XL! :o And a Vita, and millions upon millions of other things. Damn you life, damn you to hell

I fired up vita just now. Had uncharted downloaded as PS+ free game. And damn how beautiful vita is! Controls work perfect too. Such potential wasted. :( fired up 3ds xl and graphicly it is such an inferior thing. Though it has such amazing games!!! If I could get monster hunter 3 on PS vita I could die happy now :D.

Such two great consoles anyway. Must have! Hopefully ps4 will breath more life in to vita too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

I fired up vita just now. Had uncharted downloaded as PS+ free game. And damn how beautiful vita is! Controls work perfect too. Such potential wasted. :( fired up 3ds xl and graphicly it is such an inferior thing. Though it has such amazing games!!! If I could get monster hunter 3 on PS vita I could die happy now :D.

Such two great consoles anyway. Must have! Hopefully ps4 will breath more life in to vita too.

Hopefully making more games might actually breath some life into it, sony have let the last handheld die because of the lack of good games (PSPgo) and vita looks to be heading that way also.

Say what you like about nintendo but they deliver.

I'd be really tempted to get the Vita to play the final fantasy games but that's it. I've always thought of the PS as something that was better for sports games, and shooter ups, both of which I'm useless at!

The vita is the definition of wasted potenial :( its such a lovely sleek machine, and the games that are good are really good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

If we could have the vita hardware and the 3DS future releases it would be amazing. I have both and the Vita is a way better handheld than the 3DS XL but unfortunately it doesn't have the big N behind it. E3 is make or break time for the Vita.

• Advertisement

I think its very telling that all the Vita games I'd be interested in are either small indie releases available on another system or straight up remakes.

Sony need to turn that around pronto if they are going to save the Vita.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Anyone here upgraded to an XL in gamestop?

I want the animal crossing xl but I have concerns over the system transfer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Yes I did it in Gamestop. They didn't have WiFi, so they let me take both consoles away for the night to do the transfer (I'm a regular and buy a lot of games there, so they know me).

Go in and sound them out first. Tell them what you want to do, and they'll give you their available options.

The upgrade is worth the hassle. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Thanks, that does sound like the best option! I don't mind putting some money down and getting it back then.

I'll go ask tomorrow. I'm a lazy bum and really don't feel like walking any further than the gamestop near my work. I never bought anything there but I hang around looking for streetpass hits regularly.

I need it release date!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

This was posted in Bargain Alerts.. The blue/black and red/black XLs are £120 on amazon.co.uk, which works out at around €140-145. I've just ordered one as a birthday present for myself :D

Edit: Back up to usual price now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement