Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Butter habits.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

kfallon wrote: »
    I like a good clean tub tbh but it really drives me mad when people don't butter to the four corners of the toast :mad:

Butterface thanked this post, which made me smile :)

Firstly, dairy spreads are not butter. They are an atrocity.

I love real butter, and it makes me heave when someone gouges, rakes, digs, or otherwise defaces a nice smooth block. It should be evenly scraped along the top, compensating for any lack of symmetry by sideswiping if necessary.

Butter abusers and crumb litterers should be killed.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

This subject is a pet hate of mine. I scrape neatly and if I put too much on the knife I wash it offinto the sink. My in-laws are complete savages when it comes to it, they might be buttering a scone yet load the knife by digging to the bottom if the tub and then scrape the unused butter back in the edge. It drives me fuc king nuts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

hardCopy wrote: »
    I bet you're one of those people who hangs the toilet roll back-to-front on the holder.

Yes, sometimes, to bring some excitement into my life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

a block actually, not a stick.

Sorry, English isn't my native language. I had been told it's a stick, but I will get back to that person this evening and tell him to stop teaching me incorrect English. ;)

Giselle wrote: »
    Butterface thanked this post, which made me smile :)

I love real butter, and it makes me heave when someone gouges, rakes, digs, or otherwise defaces a nice smooth block. It should be evenly scraped along the top, compensating for any lack of symmetry by sideswiping if necessary.

Butter abusers and crumb litterers should be killed.:(

I would cut off slim slices of one of the thin ends... scraping along the top leaves too many crumbs behind, I find.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Kerrygold only. And I always cut it in straight lines and use a clean knife. My butter is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Butter doesn't come in a tub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭mauzo

--Kaiser-- wrote: »

I couldn't believe it wasn't butter

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Giselle wrote: »

Yeah you're right, they are right up there with The Holocaust and 9/11 :rolleyes:

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭JohnMarston

i cant stomach butter anymore, i use a non-dairy spread which is just as nice. Something thick and clotty about using butter i just cannot stand

• Advertisement

Yeah you're right, they are right up there with The Holocaust and 9/11 :rolleyes:

Worse.
    Those events are over, while dairy spreads still infect hundreds of supermarkets and millions of fridges.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I thought some butters came in tubs, no?
    We mostly use spread at home as I wouldn't eat remotely enough to get butter for myself, but I do love real butter

anyway i scrape but i do sometimes leave excess on the sides

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

bluewolf wrote: »
    I thought some butters came in tubs, no?

According to the Butter Police, no! And saying they do may have terrible ramifications for you it seems! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

Kerrygold does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

Ahhh golden luscious butter the food of the devil, I put it on everything and thickly apply it.

I shudder when I get my cholesterol checked, but so far, so good. Imagine having to eat the low fat crap or margarine,,,,I've just fainted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

mickrock wrote: »
    Kerrygold does.

That's Lowfat butter, not real butter
    (will henceforth refer to any butter in a tub as 'not real butter')

There's actually a kerrygold "softer butter" which does infact come in a tub and is apparently nothing but buttery goodness. I'm not so sure though.

If it wasn't for real butter I wouldn't ever eat bread. Goddamn butter making me eat all that fattening bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭mickrock

I'm looking at the back of my tub of Kerrygold butter and it says "Fat 80% Min", so it's full fat.

I'm looking at the back of my tub of Kerrygold butter and it says "Fat 80% Min", so it's full fat.

Would full fat not be 100% :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭Colmustard

How could you possibly get low fat butter, it is thickened cream with a bit of salt by definition. Cream is fats.

So anything else and you can swear its not butter.

Butter and cheeses are my greatest weakness.

• Advertisement

Not trying to be too pedantic, but spreads are mostly fat as well... the difference is the kinds of fat. The spreads have added hardened vegetable oil and a failry small percentage of real butter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭Giselle

At last, someone with a similar perspective.:)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I switch between real butter and the healthiest spread you can get almost schizophreniclly.

That would mean you alternate between butter and butter then as butter is quite good for you and fake butter spreads are definitely not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

aujopimur wrote: »
    When it come to the tub or slab of butter are you a scraper or a digger.
    I myself tend to keep it fairly clean and tidy.
    The reason this came to my attention is, I was having "the tea" in a house recently and I could'nt get over the state of the tub of butter.
    It was manky, it was full of crumbs, bits of peas, spud, jam, ketchup and a few other unidentified articles, not to mention the scrapings around the edges and the knife standing to attention in the centre of the tub.
    So, how's your butter tub?.

Strange, I had this exact argument with my housemate last night. He's a digger. I'm a scraper.

I despise my butter being in a mess.... toast crumbs make me throw the tub into the bin. I won't deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

hardCopy wrote: »
    I bet you're one of those people who hangs the toilet roll back-to-front on the holder.
    There's a corner of hell reserved for that lot.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I'm a scraper.. and I grew up in a house where we scraped the 'cast off' butter onto the side of the tub when we were finished buttering..

One day I did it at work and I was berated by a co-worker.. it was only then that it dawned on me just how manky that habit is :o

I felt like a gypsy.

Advertisement