Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motivation Weight Management Beacon

• 25-04-2015 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,

I had my first consultation this week with the Motivation Weight Management's Beacon Clinic.

I've signed up for the 20 week Nutritional Plan and have my next consultation next week where I presume they'll talk me through the diet plan etc.

I'm excited to start the diet and I'd like to lose 3 stone although they've recommended 2.5 so I'll be happy if I get that far!!

My question is does anyone have experience of this particular clinic? Do they try to push the bars etc. on you? I've heard they're not compulsory, is this true? If so can anyone recommend alternatives?

Any help/tips would be hugely appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I have no experience of them but if they push any particular product, that's wrong.

There shouldn't be anything other than advice on sustainable eating for the future and the options that that includes, eg good sources of carbohydrates, protein and fat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Apparently on the Basic plan there are no bars but the weightloss is slower and I've read that near the end of the Nutritional plan you're weaned off them. Just don't want to be pushed into buying something I don't necessarily need as it's expensive enough as it is!!

Shadow1983 wrote: »
    Yeah, that's what I thought too. Apparently on the Basic plan there are no bars but the weightloss is slower and I've read that near the end of the Nutritional plan you're weaned off them. Just don't want to be pushed into buying something I don't necessarily need as it's expensive enough as it is!!

If they're offering advice on weight management, there are a few valid reasons that one plan should be more expensive than another, e.g.more contact time, but none should be related to the food choices you should be making.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭easygoing1982

Shadow1983 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

I had my first consultation this week with the Motivation Weight Management's Beacon Clinic.

I've signed up for the 20 week Nutritional Plan and have my next consultation next week where I presume they'll talk me through the diet plan etc.

I'm excited to start the diet and I'd like to lose 3 stone although they've recommended 2.5 so I'll be happy if I get that far!!

My question is does anyone have experience of this particular clinic? Do they try to push the bars etc. on you? I've heard they're not compulsory, is this true? If so can anyone recommend alternatives?

Any help/tips would be hugely appreciated!!

I understand this isn't the question you've a asked but if you can get your money back please do.

I know 2 people that have done the program and it's just a very low carb diet. This means as was their case when you resume normal eating habits you pile it all back on again.

They have also said be wary of them pushing CDs as well as the bars etc on to them.

I wish you luck if you do take on the program.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I know two women who've paid massive amounts of money to these folks...lost weight initially and now are both back heavier than when they started. It's sad really.

• Advertisement

Amazingfun wrote: »
    I know two women who've paid massive amounts of money to these folks...lost weight initially and now are both back heavier than when they started. It's sad really.

I know one person like this, and they were being constantly pressured to buy the bars.

As Alf said, surely one weight loss plan can't be "slower" than the other if their advice on healthy eating is consistent? That sounds very odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

My sister-in-law's husband did the motivation weight loss clinic a few years ago and he lost a sight of weight. He put on a small bit after but he is nowhere near what he was before. My sister-in-law is now doing it, weight is coming off slower than his but she has still lost quite a bit, she looks fantastic and their treatment of food and snacks has changed which has benefited their whole family.

There certainly are elements of it that people would benefit from. Understanding your food choices and where you've made bad choices that hampered your attempts to lose weight. There's a lot to be saiid foor educating people on those things.

But it seems like the cost is based on how much you need to lose and when you need to lose it by.

Does this mean they give you a food plan for that period of time? How prescriptive is it?

That's the bit that concerns me. That people are being told what to do rather than being taught what to do and why they should do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Shadow1983

Thanks for all the advice, I have a consultation tomorrow so we'll see how that goes!! To be honest I do need to be told what to do and feel I need the one on one weigh in. I've tried Weightwatchers (twice!!), Slimming World & one of those rediculous Shake diets (what was I thinking!!!). I'm in no way obese but definitely shouldn't be the weight I am & it's knocked my confidence to zero & effects almost every area of my life. So I guess this is a last resort!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

How much is this costing exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭nc19

Shadow1983 wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice, I have a consultation tomorrow so we'll see how that goes!! To be honest I do need to be told what to do and feel I need the one on one weigh in. I've tried Weightwatchers (twice!!), Slimming World & one of those rediculous Shake diets (what was I thinking!!!). I'm in no way obese but definitely shouldn't be the weight I am & it's knocked my confidence to zero & effects almost every area of my life. So I guess this is a last resort!!

Any decent personal trainer will give you just as good advise plus exercise you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Please don't do it. It's Codswallop. I did it going back about five years ago and unless they changed the plan since then, it was a very low calorie diet. There was an awful lot of measuring stuff on it and to be honest I was absolutely starving( think I was on 800 or 1000 calories a day) plus 2 bars.

It was a waste of 600 euro.

They also say they will find psychological reasons why you are overweight and for me that was annoying because there were none, at the time I was just greedy and lazy and unmotivated.

They push the protein bars, they were expensive, think 30 per week but tasted ok to be fair.

I was not exactly big, needed to lose about 2 stone. Lost 10lbs in a month and then could not bear to go again as I could not cope with the diet.

Have since lost the weight myself through healthy eating and exercise.

they did give cd's to listen to in the car....they were bizarre to say the least.

If you could not manage Slimming World (which I would not do now, but I still think is better than Motivation) you will not like this.

For me the key is to be self motivated, if you are not, and you are paying someone else to motivate you, you will not sustain it.

I looked in the mirror one day going to a wedding wearing a size 16 dress and said stop moaning about looking fat and do something about it. That was the day I changed my own mindset.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I'm not a fan. They pushed the bars / drinks on me at every meeting and I didn't feel they listened to me at the consultations beyond the signing up one. I would spend money on a nutritionist / PT before them or better yet spend no money and read the stickies here.

Advertisement