Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sugar...How much?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

How this has escalated fast, all I wanted to know was the guideline amount of sugars that can be consumed within a healthy diet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

dor843088, do you believe that people shouldn't eliminate as much sugar as possible? or that is has any real benefits?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

dor843088, do you believe that people shouldn't eliminate as much sugar as possible? or that is has any real benefits?

I know that once your micronutrient bases are covered along with fibre etc there is no benefit to avoiding sugar . The only thing "wrong" with sugar is that it does not provide any micronutrients.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Squiggle

dor843088 wrote: »
    I know that once your micronutrient bases are covered along with fibre etc there is no benefit to avoiding sugar .

:eek: Sugar raises triglycerides, thus raising the TG:HDL ratio, other factors constant. TG:HDL ratio is a potent predictor of heart desease. Sugar also raises small dense LDL which are easily oxidised, can penetrate artery walls and are highly atheroscleratic.

Squiggle wrote: »
    :eek: Sugar raises triglycerides, thus raising the TG:HDL ratio, other factors constant. TG:HDL ratio is a potent predictor of heart desease. Sugar also raises small dense LDL which are easily oxidised, can penetrate artery walls and are highly atheroscleratic.
    The causes for high triglycerides are obesity, poorly controlled diabetes , under active thyroid, kidney disease, cosuming excess calories wherever they may come from and alcohol. The dietary contributors are simple carbohydrates including the ones found in fruits and vegetables ,egg yokes , milk, red meat or anything with saturated fat.

The same people who bash sugar will consume eggs for breakfast fruit for snacks and a steak for dinner . Unless you have high cholesterol or are overweight and sedentary I wouldnt worry about high fat in my blood just because I've eaten some simple sugars or a steak or some eggs.

Does sugar raise triglycerides ? Yes . Along with everything else we eat including the health staples that everybody pushes .

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hatfry

Glycation (the natural ageing process) is something that obviously bothers you greatly . However the scientific fact is we are all victims of it . Yes sugar increases it slightly just like any other carbohydrate or protein if required. Glycation will occur in the complete absence of dietary sugar . To say that one should avoid sugar to reduce glycation is rediculous .your clinging on to this glycation bull**** for your life because its all youv got.
    Not 1 post in this thread suggests trying to avoid glycation. Not 1 bar your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Hatfry

I know that once your micronutrient bases are covered along with fibre etc there is no benefit to avoiding sugar . The only thing "wrong" with sugar is that it does not provide any micronutrients.

Quick question, would you agree with trying to source your daily intake in the form of unrefined food or would you suggest replacing whole food sources like fruit,veg and juices with white table sugar?

Hatfry wrote: »
    Not 1 post in this thread suggests trying to avoid glycation. Not 1 bar your own.

It cannot be avoided which is what I have been stating throughout the entire thread. One poster suggested glycation as a reason to limit or avoid sugar and that sugar was the cause of glycation .I merely asked him how he would go about avoiding glycation as he seemed concerned with it. And as I and another poster pointed out all food groups either contain or contribute to glycation . The glycation argument is a bit like saying avoid breathing because it increases the risk of asphyxiation through the intake of carbon dioxide. Its stupid .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

The causes for high triglycerides are obesity, poorly controlled diabetes , under active thyroid, kidney disease, cosuming excess calories wherever they may come from and alcohol. The dietary contributors are simple carbohydrates including the ones found in fruits and vegetables ,egg yokes , milk, red meat or anything with saturated fat.

The same people who bash sugar will consume eggs for breakfast fruit for snacks and a steak for dinner . Unless you have high cholesterol or are overweight and sedentary I wouldnt worry about high fat in my blood just because I've eaten some simple sugars or a steak or some eggs.

Does sugar raise triglycerides ? Yes . Along with everything else we eat including the health staples that everybody pushes .

You sound like a bully in a schoolyard shoving your "proof" down everyone's throat, can you not have a mature conversation without the gloating and childishness, you're like a bloody broken record.

Just to comment on some of the tripe above; cause of high triglycerides, obesity? come again? and what causes obesity? bad diabetes control? and what is the major cause of type II diabetes (now at epidemic proportions effecting 8.3% of americans)? sugar (or wheat) is the answer. Personally, eating egg yolks is ok and eating saturated fat is just fine. It's widely accepted now that cholesterol intake does cause high cholesterol and eating fat does not make you fat, these antiquated beliefs from the past have been disproven (see studies in link from authority nutrition). I eat a high fat/protein, low carb based diet to complement my training and things haven't been better both physically & mentally and I have had a health check with bloods recently to confirm this.

You're not concerned about sugar that's fine, you've made your feelings well known on that and it's your choice but at least educate yourself before rehashing the same garbage out of your little fish bowl trying to disprove everybody. I do agree with your point that consuming carbs is basically no different in terms of sugar intake; bar some extra fibre, a bowl of pasta or a slice of wholemeal bread is essentially a bag of sugar you're throwing into your body. My carb intake consists of whole-foods, fruit or whole unprocessed rice or potatoes. I typically time my intake of carbs to replenish my glycogen stores after training, otherwise we really don't need them, the body can synthesise its own glucose from fatty acids. I should also note, wheat intake is extremely detrimental to our health and should be avoided like the plague, not only because of the harmful glutens but a slice of bread will spikes your blood sugar more than a snickers will, this is the primary cause of obesity and type II diabetes according to the book "wheat belly", a very interesting and shocking read. Personally I've benefited immensely from the elimination of wheat from the diet and on the topic of glycation, wheat is a major player in the the build up of AGE's (ok not quite on topic yeah but worth mentioning, it's essentially sugar).

Anyway you wanted some reasons why sugar is bad for you? These are from authority nutrition (also a great blog) and this can also apply to the glycemic properties of wheat, links to references can be found here)

- Bad for your teeth (the obvious one yes)

- Added sugar is high in fructose, which can overload your liver

- Excess fructose gets turned into fat, which lodges in the liver and cause non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.

- Sugar causes insulin resistance which contributes to a range of diseases including metabolic syndrome, obesity, cardiovascular disease and particularly type II diabetes

- Multiple studies show that people who eat a lot of sugar are at a much higher risk of getting cancer

- Fructose doesn’t cause satiety in the brain or lower the hunger hormone ghrelin nearly as much as glucose.

- Sugar (and wheat) causes a large release of dopamine in the brain, causing addiction in a lot of people

- Sugar dramatically increases the risk of becoming overweight or obese.

- Studies show that large amounts of fructose can raise triglycerides, small, dense LDL and oxidized LDL (very, very bad), raise blood glucose and insulin levels and increase abdominal obesity - major heart disease!

Hope that helps!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

I think most people are aware that excessive sugar is generally bad for you in quite a number of different ways. Of course there will be the odd crank to argue otherwise, just as there is still a flat earth society.
    To the OP, I'd suggest that if they eat fruit, or processed food at all, they are already getting sufficient and probably excessive sugar, and should look to limit it in their diet otherwise.
    Every body is different, every metabolism and biochemistry unique. There's no way of stating over the internet a 'safe' or 'recommended' amount of sugar for an individual. Common sense is required. Sugar isn't very good for you, so you should avoid it where you spot it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭Tec Diver

stratowide wrote: »
    I'd take as much as 100g on workout days.Maybe 40g before and 60g directly
    after working out,usually in a shake mixed with a 30g of whey powder.
    It's in the form of glucose which is much the same as sugar anyway.

Other than the 100g I take before and after workout,none is taken during the day otherwise.
    I take none on non-workout days.

I weigh 100kg's.

Why would you want sugar after a workout? I used to use protein shakes, but would rather eat real food these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Tec Diver wrote: »
    Why would you want sugar after a workout? I used to use protein shakes, but would rather eat real food these days.

Zombie thread back from the dead!

You want it after a workout for the insulin spike. Raised insulin levels=better protein synthesis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Tec Diver wrote: »

Sugar is used to rebuild glycogen stores in muscles and the liver, which are the primary fuel source during exercise. Getting some sugar in should speed recovery.

Advertisement