Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sugar...How much?

• 01-10-2013 11:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Hey all,

Done a search and read of nutrition 101 and couldn't find what I was looking for.

Basically, I'm wondering how much of your carb intake is allowed to be made up of sugar?

Current intake is 3000 calories? Roughly 1400 of that is carbs...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

I'd keep it as low as possible IMO, especially sugar present in processed foods. Fruit is ok in my book though, as long as it's in reasonable quantities. Are you finding it hard to keep a lid on your sugar intake currently? What is your current goal/target?

I was reading somewhere it should be 30g or less a day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

DylanJM wrote: »
    I'd keep it as low as possible IMO, especially sugar present in processed foods. Fruit is ok in my book though, as long as it's in reasonable quantities. Are you finding it hard to keep a lid on your sugar intake currently? What is your current goal/target?

Well its not an issue, but some days I'll eat a lot of fruit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭rhapsody

I've read 25- 30g per day, also read 100 calories per day, which would be 25g as far as I know. My Fitness Pal gives me an allowance of about 30g per day (depending on exercise levels), which I find difficult to stay within some days, even when avoiding chocolate, processed foods like pizza/ ready meals etc... it's more the sugar from certain vegetables (carrots, parsnips, peppers), fruit, milk, bread.

rhapsody wrote: »
    I've read 25- 30g per day, also read 100 calories per day, which would be 25g as far as I know. My Fitness Pal gives me an allowance of about 30g per day (depending on exercise levels), which I find difficult to stay within some days, even when avoiding chocolate, processed foods like pizza/ ready meals etc... it's more the sugar from certain vegetables (carrots, parsnips, peppers), fruit, milk, bread.

Eat one big banana its almost 20g of sugar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭dor843088

All people can give you is an opinion . Why because it doesnt really matter . You could eat 100g or more of sugar per day and still be completely healthy and fit as long as your have a good diet otherwise , get your micronutrients and fibre etc . Most people who are anti sugar cant explain why or whats wrong with sugar .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

dor843088 wrote: »
    All people can give you is an opinion . Why because it doesnt really matter . You could eat 100g or more of sugar per day and still be completely healthy and fit as long as your have a good diet otherwise , get your micronutrients and fibre etc . Most people who are anti sugar cant explain why or whats wrong with sugar .

It's not good for your teeth anyway. I'm sure it's not the only reason, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭seosamh1980

I love sugar. Why is life so cruel, I'd eat my daily calories in chocolate and cake if I was let.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭stratowide

I'd take as much as 100g on workout days.Maybe 40g before and 60g directly
    after working out,usually in a shake mixed with a 30g of whey powder.
    It's in the form of glucose which is much the same as sugar anyway.

Other than the 100g I take before and after workout,none is taken during the day otherwise.
    I take none on non-workout days.

I weigh 100kg's.

It's not good for your teeth anyway. I'm sure it's not the only reason, is it?

You could say the same for acidic foods . As long as you look after your teeth I wouldnt be worried about sugar. Its more the soda type drinks that are bad for your teeth and its actually not the sugar involved that is the main culprit its actually the acids afaik because the diet drinks are bad for your teeth also and contain no sugar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Most people who are anti sugar cant explain why or whats wrong with sugar .

Lets flip that question around. Can you explain the positives of sugar? Why someone should include it in their diet?

I assume we're talking about white table sugar here

Lets flip that question around. Can you explain the positives of sugar? Why someone should include it in their diet?

I assume we're talking about white table sugar here

I dont do strawman arguments sorry just proper information . Lets keep it on topic and you explain the negatives in consuming a lot of sugar? Bearing in mind I mentioned micronutrients and fibre. Im not promoting sugar as a superfood but the anti sugar people dont know what they are talking about and have no reason or facts to back up jumping on the bandwagon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Sugar = glycation = accelerated ageing of cells.

Sugar = glycation = accelerated ageing of cells.

Glycation is something that occurs naturally over the course of a lifetime. To completely eliminate it you would be dead. Almost everything we eat except fat causes glycation . Consult your doctor before eating to eliminate glycation.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

If you're going to keep your calories constant adding sugar means taking out something with a higher nutritional value. Maybe somebody should invent fortified sugar!

hypersonic wrote: »
    If you're going to keep your calories constant adding sugar means taking out something with a higher nutritional value. Maybe somebody should invent fortified sugar!

You can hit your micronutrient daily intake with very little calories since most micro dense foods are not calorie dense . So unless you weigh very very little theres room for plenty.

Glycation is something that occurs naturally over the course of a lifetime. To completely eliminate it you would be dead. Almost everything we eat except fat causes glycation . Consult your doctor before eating to eliminate glycation.

Actually, you need sugar for glycation. You asked for an example of how a lot of sugar is bad for you. The answer is because it leads to a lot of glycation.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭hypersonic

You can hit your micronutrient daily intake with very little calories since most micro dense foods are not calorie dense . So unless you weigh very very little theres room for plenty.

Yes, I agree you can hit your RDA quiet easily with supplement etc but for me food quality is an important aspect of my diet as I believe (can't prove) that there is much more to nutrition than just RDA's. Ultimately we are all experiments with a sample size of 1, so what works for me may not work for others.

Actually, you need sugar for glycation. You asked for an example of how a lot of sugar is bad for you. The answer is because it leads to a lot of glycation.

No its glucose that causes it

So when it comes to sugar, is it only glucose that is the bad type or does it include fructose too?

Like for example if I were to eat 250ml of yoghurt and 3 pieces of fruit(Banana, Apple in a day that would be circa 60g of sugar right there, thats before sweet potatoes and other veg are included...

• Advertisement

Eat one big banana its almost 20g of sugar

A big banana indeed! The bananas I tend to eat are about 80g or 90g, which gives about 10g of sugar. I usually only have one after a run, so it's not so bad. As others have said, it's fine to have much more sugar than 30g a day but I'm having a problem with it so trying to stay around that figure.
    I understand the sugar from fruit isn't as bad as the same amount from e.g. jelly babies etc, because the fibre in the fruit slows down how quickly your body absorbs the sugar, less of a spike in sugar & then insulin etc.

A big banana indeed! The bananas I tend to eat are about 80g or 90g, which gives about 10g of sugar. I usually only have one after a run, so it's not so bad. As others have said, it's fine to have much more sugar than 30g a day but I'm having a problem with it so trying to stay around that figure.
    I understand the sugar from fruit isn't as bad as the same amount from e.g. jelly babies etc, because the fibre in the fruit slows down how quickly your body absorbs the sugar, less of a spike in sugar & then insulin etc.

F*ck me the insulin brigade is in now .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

So when it comes to sugar, is it only glucose that is the bad type or does it include fructose too?

Like for example if I were to eat 250ml of yoghurt and 3 pieces of fruit(Banana, Apple in a day that would be circa 60g of sugar right there, thats before sweet potatoes and other veg are included...

It's complicated. Fructose is much lower on the Glycemic Index, which means it is a better, longer lasting source of energy than glucose. It doesn't trigger insulin spikes which can result in poor energy levels in the short term and diabetes in the long term. It is also suspected, however, of causing increased appetite, and as such can result in weight gain. It also causes far more glycation than glucose, which is a metabolic process that contributes to age-related illness, like cancer and alzheimers.

Sugars don't do anything good that more complex carbs can't, the only reason to eat sugar is because it tastes nice, so eat it sparingly.

F*ck me the insulin brigade is in now .

Eh... I was just trying to give the OP some info... is that not what we're all trying to do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Eh... I was just trying to give the OP some info... is that not what we're all trying to do?

No, not all of us. Some of us appear to have a weird axe to grind about people pointing out that sugar is bad for you.

No its glucose that causes it

Glucose IS a sugar.

Zillah wrote: »
    No, not all of us. Some of us appear to have a weird axe to grind about people pointing out that sugar is bad for you.

You have no idea what you are talking about my friend. Why is sugar bad for you as you say ?

Glucose IS a sugar.

The body converts any carb and some protein to glucose so how is it we avoid this terrible affliction called glycation again? Oh thats right we cant .

The body converts any carb and some protein to glucose so how is it we avoid this terrible affliction called glycation again? Oh thats right we cant .

The point is not that one can avoid it. The point is that the more sugar you consume, the more glycation occurs.

• Advertisement

The point is not that one can avoid it. The point is that the more sugar you consume, the more glycation occurs.

Read my above post and except the facts. There is glycation occurring in your body right now. If there wasn't youd be dead . Relax now glycation boy . If you want to "avoid" it go on as low carb diet as possible and even then your body will compensate by converting protein to glucose .

Read my above post and except the facts. There is glycation occurring in your body right now. If there wasn't youd be dead . Relax now glycation boy . If you want to "avoid" it go on as low carb diet as possible and even then your body will compensate by converting protein to glucose .

Except the facts?
    Seems to be what's happening here alright. You asked for an example of why eating a lot of sugar isn't a good idea. I gave glycation, and that is the fact of it. I could have offered obesity, diabetes and a load of other examples too, but it is scientific fact that increased sugar intake leads to increased glycation, which is one of the many reasons why a high sugar diet is bad for you.

Except the facts?
    Seems to be what's happening here alright. You asked for an example of why eating a lot of sugar isn't a good idea. I gave glycation, and that is the fact of it. I could have offered obesity, diabetes and a load of other examples too, but it is scientific fact that increased sugar intake leads to increased glycation, which is one of the many reasons why a high sugar diet is bad for you.

I couldnt have asked for a better post from you to prove you are wrong . Diabetes is caused by sugar? Tell me how. Obesity is caused by sugar? Tell me how. You can avoid glycation at all ? Tell me how. Tell me how a sugary drink is worse then a bowl of oats in the world of glycation.

Being a grammar officer is not cool . I dont have time to spell check my posts.

I see you're still keen to avoid the core fact - sugar causes increased glycation which isn't good for you.
    I never suggested one can avoid glycation. I've consistently stated that increased sugar causes increased glycation.
    Let's start with that one first since you've been avoiding it from the first time I mentioned it.
    Do you agree with this statement or not? If not, what part of it in your mind is incorrect?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

I couldnt have asked for a better post from you to prove you are wrong . Diabetes is caused by sugar? Tell me how. Obesity is caused by sugar? Tell me how. You can avoid glycation at all ? Tell me how. Tell me how a sugary drink is worse then a bowl of oats in the world of glycation.

Being a grammar officer is not cool . I dont have time to spell check my posts.

Where in your post are you proving he is wrong ??

You should check your facts ... forget about spelling for now

weisses wrote: »
    Where in your post are you proving he is wrong ??

You should check your facts ... forget about spelling for now

What facts should I be checking? The fact is we are now about 30 posts deep into this thread and noone has posted a single valid reason for limiting sugar or why sugar is bad and have resorted to nitpicking my posts for spelling errors and **** all over each others posts for doing so . That says it all imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

Here's you go I've included the fructose ones as white sugar is 50:50 glucose:fructose. I can provide you a couple hundred more if you want and am more then able to debate the merits of each study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17709452?dopt=Abstract

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/9/1442.full

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/4/1174.abstract

Ninja edit: all you have to do is look at it this way. how many studies can you find showing a negative effect of fructose and sugar? A lot. How many can you find showing positive effects? about 5. This info can be gotten all for free via pubmed and google scholar

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,585 ✭✭✭weisses

What facts should I be checking? The fact is we are now about 30 posts deep into this thread and noone has posted a single valid reason for limiting sugar or why sugar is bad and have resorted to nitpicking my posts for spelling errors and **** all over each others posts for doing so . That says it all imo.

But you said your gonna proof him wrong !!

I think you are the main contributor in those 30 posts of nitpicking

weisses wrote: »
    But you said your gonna proof him wrong !!

I think you are the main contributor in those 30 posts of nitpicking

His entire post was full of wrong statements. Sugar causing obesity etc etc etc.

Here's you go I've included the fructose ones as white sugar is 50:50 glucose:fructose. I can provide you a couple hundred more if you want and am more then able to debate the merits of each study.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17709452?dopt=Abstract

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/128/9/1442.full

http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/86/4/1174.abstract

Ninja edit: all you have to do is look at it this way. how many studies can you find showing a negative effect of fructose and sugar? A lot. How many can you find showing positive effects? about 5. This info can be gotten all for free via pubmed and google scholar

Study one shows that sugary beverages have a greater impact on insulin sensitivity/resistance when compared to water . Wow! Big deal compare it to another carbohydrate and that might be a study worth looking at.

Study two says fructose is worse thqn sucrose or glucose in terms of glycation . Iv already addressed glycation above . If your worried about it become a no carb eating hermit who only washes them self with water. It was done on rats and the intake of fructose was chronic to say the least.

Study three lol states that fat kids ate more fructose laden sweets than non fatties. They must be on the verge of a great new discovery here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Maybe have a word with Prof. Robert Lustig on the sugar issue.

he might have some insight...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭Orlaw3136

Study one shows that sugary beverages have a greater impact on insulin sensitivity/resistance when compared to water . Wow! Big deal compare it to another carbohydrate and that might be a study worth looking at.

Study two says fructose is worse thqn sucrose or glucose in terms of glycation . Iv already addressed glycation above . If your worried about it become a no carb eating hermit who only washes them self with water. It was done on rats and the intake of fructose was chronic to say the least.

Study three lol states that fat kids ate more fructose laden sweets than non fatties. They must be on the verge of a great new discovery here.

So, what you're telling me in your numerous posts in this thread is that I should eat more sugar right ?

No ?

I think I'll just keep on eating less. Trying to lose a bit of fat here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭Trent Houseboat

Study two says fructose is worse thqn sucrose or glucose in terms of glycation . Iv already addressed glycation above . If your worried about it become a no carb eating hermit who only washes them self with water.

This sentiment seems to recur in your posts. No one has said that one can or should eliminate glycation.

For what it's worth, I don't know what glycation is, but I know a terrible arguement when I see one.
    I dont do strawman arguments sorry just proper information.

16 posts later, creates straw man ie cessations of glycation

I'm still waiting for him to address the example I actually gave him 2 pages ago, that increased sugar intake causes increased glycation. I must have asked him about that six times now, and he refuses point blank to address it.

I'm still waiting for him to address the example I actually gave him 2 pages ago, that increased sugar intake causes increased glycation. I must have asked him about that six times now, and he refuses point blank to address it.

Any form of carbohydrate and in certain circumstances protein increases glycation not just sugar iv stated that already along with my posts stating I dont beleive anyone in their right mind should be worried about glycation . What more do you want ?

Your beliefs are not relevant. We're discussing scientific facts here.
    Do you now accept that increased sugar intake leads to increased glycation?
    Because the end result of increased glycation most certainly IS something for people to worry about.

Your beliefs are not relevant. We're discussing scientific facts here.
    Do you now accept that increased sugar intake leads to increased glycation?
    Because the end result of increased glycation most certainly IS something for people to worry about.

Glycation (the natural ageing process) is something that obviously bothers you greatly . However the scientific fact is we are all victims of it . Yes sugar increases it slightly just like any other carbohydrate or protein if required. Glycation will occur in the complete absence of dietary sugar . To say that one should avoid sugar to reduce glycation is rediculous .your clinging on to this glycation bull**** for your life because its all youv got.

No, sugar is the cause of glycation. Increasing sugar intake increases glycation significantly. The end result of this is AGE's, which are directly implicated in Diabetes and Kidney conditions.
    As was suggested to you earlier, you would do well to do some scientific and medical research rather than regurgitating your esoteric and unsupported beliefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭another question

Just out of interest, I have a generally very healthy diet. I tend to eat more veg than fruit. The known sugar I eat daily is the following:

A teaspoon in my porridge,

A very small bit of jam on an oatcake,

1 toffee pop

Probably 2-3 squares of chocolate.

This is broken up throughout the day. I always feel guilty buts it's a craving and the more I try and deny myself, the more I want it.

Is that too much sugar everyday in anyones opinion?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Sephya

foods that are high in fat and protein are generally AGE-rich and prone to new AGE formation during cooking. in contrast, carbohydrate-rich foods such as vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and milk contain relatively few AGEs, even after cooking. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20497781

No, sugar is the cause of glycation. Increasing sugar intake increases glycation significantly. The end result of this is AGE's, which are directly implicated in Diabetes and Kidney conditions.
    As was suggested to you earlier, you would do well to do some scientific and medical research rather than regurgitating your esoteric and unsupported beliefs.

Below is an extract from the link that YOU posted . It describes exactly what an AGE is and how it is formed. It does not mention sugar . It refers to a carbohydrate . Iv never been bitch slapped with my own link before how does it feel bro? Poster above has now confirmed that all food groups contain AGEs . Looks like its water only for you mate . And even then your not getting away from it. GLYCATION AS A REASON TO AVOID SUGAR BUSTED!!!!!

An AGE is the result of a chain of chemical reactions after an initial glycationreaction, which refers to the addition of a carbohydrate without the involvement of an enzyme

• Advertisement
Advertisement