Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reverse osmosis water in not optimal for perfect health ?

Options
  • 30-04-2015 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

I have been using 6 stage reverse osmosis water filter for 3 months, which decreased 350 ppm tap water to 20-30 ppm and I feel like removing 95 % of contaminants is not enough, I feel like I am still poisoning myself slowly.
    I am going back to drink bottled water(Lidl Beckerich-Luxemburg) and i will be using reverse osmosis water only for cooking/boiling tea.

Did anyone noticed that domestic reverse osmosis system in Ireland is not optimal for perfect health ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,092 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

allsam18 wrote: »
    I feel like I am still poisoning myself slowly.
    It's in your head. You are basing it on nothing.

I am going back to drink bottled water(Lidl Beckerich-Luxemburg) and i will be using reverse osmosis water only for cooking/boiling tea.
    Did you get a PPM tester with the filter?
    Check the PPM of the bottled water
    Did anyone noticed that domestic reverse osmosis system in Ireland is not optimal for perfect health ?
    What people "notice" isn't an accurate way of assessing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭allsam18

My conclusions are based on 3 months of testing reverse osmosis and getting skin problems, inflammation and enlarged lymph nodes.

I posted my TDS numbers, tap water 350 ppm, reverse osmosis water 25-30 ppm.

Yes I tested bottled water and it has high ppm, evian 180 ppm, beckerich 200 ppm but these numbers represent high minerals content from french alps. Tap water ppm number includes chlouride, flouride and bacteria particules.

I am starting a one month trial with drinking only Beckerich water and I will compare my skin problems status.
    That is how I asses something new = test it in practise and being aware of influence on my body and my awareness is saying that 5% of tap water chlouride, flouride and bacteria I drank is not optimal for my goal of perfect health. After 1 month of Beckerich water only I will post my results.
    I don't believe everything what is on internet (reverse osmosis is the best water You can drink), I believe what I try on my own skin.

You are welcome to share Your practical experience with reverse osmosis water, I would love to hear Your observations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

OP best of luck to you.

In my experience, optimum health is rarely attributable to one factor. In your sample size of one how can you control for your observations?

For the record my water supply 2/3 days a week is a gravity feed 100 yr old well on farm. 4/5 days it's a public supply. I much prefer the taste of farm supply but I wouldn't bet my life on a blind trial :-)

In my sample size of one the factors in my 40 years that most affect my health are stress levels, personal relationships and diet/ exercise size a distant 3rd place closely followed by work/ hobby goals etc

Just my opinion could be complete nonsense:-)

In my work a client had 3 poisoned farm wells, one was supplying house. Two wells had a noticeable smell of phenol(not good) the domestic appeared clean. The lab returned a result which showed domestic well had 300 times the EU limit and the other 2 at much lower levels.

I got a different lab to retest and sure enough some tech had mistaken micro for milli! A factor of a thousand mistake. The stress that mistake caused client for 2 weeks did way more harm than the water from what I saw. Sample size of one again so proves very little of course :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

THis thread is contaminating my brain with toxins
    wpid-tumblr_n8e6mkeeu11ryre02o1_1280.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,557 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

If you think, going into your one month trial of bottled water, that the results will be positive, they certainly will be.

Anyway, the quality of the water is more of an issue than reverse osmosis water filtration in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

I have an RO system installed and it has a TDS reading of 38ppm which is pretty damn low, I also tested normal tap water which was 600ppm and bottled water which ranged anywhere from 150-350 depending on brand (Evian was lowest I seem to recall) but here's the kicker ....my dog drinks all her water from an upturned kennel roof which only contains murky rainwater....TDS reading .....22. Make of that what you will, I hasten to add that I don't live in a city.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

My conclusions are based on 3 months of testing reverse osmosis and getting skin problems, inflammation and enlarged lymph nodes.

Yes I tested bottled water and it has high ppm, evian 180 ppm, beckerich 200 ppm but these numbers represent high minerals content from french alps. Tap water ppm number includes chlouride, flouride and bacteria particules.

I am starting a one month trial with drinking only Beckerich water and I will compare my skin problems status.
    That is how I asses something new = test it in practise and being aware of influence on my body and my awareness is saying that 5% of tap water chlouride, flouride and bacteria I drank is not optimal for my goal of perfect health. After 1 month of Beckerich water only I will post my results.
    I don't believe everything what is on internet (reverse osmosis is the best water You can drink), I believe what I try on my own skin.

You are welcome to share Your practical experience with reverse osmosis water, I would love to hear Your observations.

Your health issues are likely due to other factors, not least of which may be the anxiety you seem to experience over trivial issues such as your water purity. Tap water is perfectly fine for your health as is, the mineral traces to be found therein have no negative health impacts. You're welcome to try the conspiracy theories forum for fluoride panic, but all the medical evidence suggests that any health impact you think you are experiencing due to tap water is in your head.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Maybe your filter is removing something beneficial to your skin. Or maybe you drink more or less water than before the experiment. Or maybe your diet changed. Or the wind. My point being that observing changes in yourself and assigning them to a single factor is too narrow and subjective.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭aah yes

I have been using 6 stage reverse osmosis water filter for 3 months, which decreased 350 ppm tap water to 20-30 ppm and I feel like removing 95 % of contaminants is not enough, I feel like I am still poisoning myself slowly.

To interpret TDS correctly with RO water first of all you have to forget about chlorine.

Chlorine has nothing to do with TDS measurements in RO water as separate pre-filters on RO systems remove chlorine altogether.

Fluoride is already at record low levels in Irish waters compared to other fluoridated countries, and by reducing it by 90% even, is like nil.

Things like Trihalomethanes THM's in water that are known to cause cancers have safe lower levels of potability of 100 ug/L so if you wonder about fluorides which have already had a 100 year trial on billions of people at ten times the level of THM's, and proven safe at those levels, then reduced to 1/10th or less, mean nothing.

Bacteria cannot get through RO membranes and have no influence on TDS. RO Membrane nominal pore size are about 1/10,000th of 1 micron compared to about 1 micron for most bacteria.

That ratio scaled up means you would have to squeeze an air balloon through the eye of a needle to get bacteria through an RO.

So in conclusion, your 3 month bottled water experiment would be like saying I am going kayaking at weekends over the next three months on canal water, to see if it has any relationship with BitCoin valuation.

-i don't know what exactly is in my RO, but it' s slowly poisoning me
    -after 2 months with lidl beckerich water i feel amazing, my energy is great, my bloodtest is perfect

-i will not drink my RO water, i will use it only for cooking and boiling

-i don't need to know what exactly in RO water is making me sick, I am just happy that I realized that and now I have awesome life

• Advertisement

-i don't know what exactly is in my RO, but it' s slowly poisoning me
    -after 2 months with lidl beckerich water i feel amazing, my energy is great, my bloodtest is perfect

-i will not drink my RO water, i will use it only for cooking and boiling

-i don't need to know what exactly in RO water is making me sick, I am just happy that I realized that and now I have awesome life

-i don't know what exactly is wrong with my horse but it was slowly pooping my field
    -after 2 months with little donkey my field looks amazing, it is all green, the blades of grass stand up straight

-i will not use my horse in field, i will use it only for looking at and soiling in other fields

-i don't need to know what exactly in horse is making field pooped, i am just happy that I realised that and now I will love my donkey forever

-if there is no connection between Your RO water and Your health , then Congratulations to You

-between my RO water and my health is connection, I am 100% because I tried both options for 3 months and I am choosing no RO water for drinking

i found 50 pence once on holiday in UK

i did not find 50 cents on holiday in Spain

between UK and Spain, I am 100% because I tried both options and I am choosing UK for my holidays

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Hope it keeps up but your skin improvement could be due to sun shine its great for your skin or it could be an allergy cut out any food lately

• Registered Users Posts: 3,970 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Hope it keeps up but your skin improvement could be due to sun shine its great for your skin or it could be an allergy cut out any food lately

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I would be skeptical of filters, reducing water to H2O only is not a good thing. Water contains important minerals, filtering them out is not advisable.
    Particles on their own (i.e. grit) should not be a concern, in Ireland the problem is sh*t. The authorities are putting this idea that "raw" water is dangerous and poisonous and has to be "made safe" in treatment plants into people's heads. The real answer is, don't share a small island with 20 million cows. That way you don't have to spend millions on treatment to turn the sewerage into drinking water for people. This is before you're adding tens of thousands of leaking septic tanks into the picture.
    OP, as long as there isn't a boil notice on the water, it should be good. If it is causing you issues you should have it tested at a lab and for more than just particles. Could you possibly have lead pipes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

The OP is throwing around a lot of ppm figures. ppm of what? There are a lot of ions in water.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Water is an exceptional solvent. If anything drinking purified water with all the minerals filtered out is actually leaching your body of all the good stuff if actually needs.

I would be skeptical of filters, reducing water to H2O only is not a good thing. Water contains important minerals, filtering them out is not advisable.
    Particles on their own (i.e. grit) should not be a concern, in Ireland the problem is sh*t. The authorities are putting this idea that "raw" water is dangerous and poisonous and has to be "made safe" in treatment plants into people's heads. The real answer is, don't share a small island with 20 million cows. That way you don't have to spend millions on treatment to turn the sewerage into drinking water for people. This is before you're adding tens of thousands of leaking septic tanks into the picture.
    OP, as long as there isn't a boil notice on the water, it should be good. If it is causing you issues you should have it tested at a lab and for more than just particles. Could you possibly have lead pipes?

I'm not sceptical of filters as such.

In my vehicle I'm not sceptical of oil filters protecting my engine or fuel filters protecting my fuel or air filters protecting my carburettors.

In my house I am not sceptical of the overhead charcoal filter above my hob or the dust filters in my tumble dryer or vacuum cleaner or dirt filter in my washing machine.

I would be sceptical about getting the wrong replacements or spurious cheaper ones for my car. Sure for my health I would be more particular and instead of asking pseudo science based operators, I would get more scientific answers on the right types of water filters.

Food contains important minerals, all the minerals we need come from food and a basic diet. There is an abundance of minerals in dairy products, bread, fruits, vegetables, nuts, seeds, pulses and a whole range of food groups.

Water has no guarantee to have any minerals depending where you live. You could live in a granite rock or non soluble rock area like parts of Connemara and most of Northern Ireland where water can be mineral free, like most of the Northern UK. They all eat food though.

You could be from an island community where rainwater or surface waters (stream, lake) are the only collected water sources, again mineral free. Islanders eat food though.

A huge sector of the bottled water market worldwide now is devoid of mineral content, often under the popular description "Spring Water".

Requiring minerals from water is a myth and has no logic, no guarantee or basis in fact.

Food is what provides minerals, many beverages even.

If you gambled on the 1% extra that some waters could offer, you would be a fool to spend say €500 or €1000 or more on this fruitless bottled water pursuit.

Our parents and grand parents lived in times of no bottled waters on the supermarket shelves, and historically their dietary and fitness health put us to shame, even those living in naturally soft water areas with no minerals present in the tap source waters.

You could have been drinking Volvic all these years as your favourite water ! (And guess how much you are getting from that none-soluble volcanic rock "Spring Water" type beverage ?)

5uspect wrote: »
    Water is an exceptional solvent. If anything drinking purified water with all the minerals filtered out is actually leaching your body of all the good stuff if actually needs.

Standard filters, even standard domestic RO filters do not remove all the mineral content. All basic RO units leave enough mineral content in the equivalent of Volvic bottled waters, and more minerals than many other brands of bottled waters.

Only high level commercial end RO systems can attain high levels of ultra pure water.

Even this is okay to drink, as like rain water the nearest thing, for millions of years, many people have drank zero mineral rainwater or naturally soft surface waters before well drilling technology came in bringing water deep down from soluble rock sources.

Even ultra pure water is actually NOT leaching your body of any good stuff, as your body has developed over millions of years not to allow this. The human body is not a copper pipe.

The reasons are simple ...

1) As soon as ultra pure or rainwater enters your mouth, the saliva glands operate to mix an added balance of higher TDS (total dissolved solids - from food sources previously eaten, gained to the body), - this saliva addition raises 0ppm figures of rainwater and the likes up from 10ppm to 50ppm and beyond before entering the throat.

2) As water passages our throat to stomach, another wide range of fluid interactions occur in the stomach raising the TDS levels again and thus metabolising to equalised and homogenised bodily balances, again our bodies have been designed to cope with this scenario over millions of years.

Simple pure water or rainwater cannot catch out evolution that easy.

3) We all eat a rich and abundant balance or overly rich abundance of mineral content, especially sodium chloride where 6,000 mg or 6 grammes would be fine but the average person is getting 8,000 mg or 8 grammes, but this overly mineralised situation is at least partly dealt with by the body's automatic reaction to this by taking on extra fluids, water etc (especially rainwater or ultra-pure water would be excellent for this daily dilemma), hence diluting and removing by urine the excess sodium and chloride.

Again millions of years of work on our body's hyper stasis is available to us for free, and acting against psuedo science or simple copper pipe scenario notions.

Our bodies need food, and we get this with all the minerals we need. Our bodies need hydration, and again we get as much as we need, especially good sometimes if it is ultra pure or rainwater if we are over-mineralised with salts.

• Advertisement

going mad about minerals in water like the newly emerged bottled water corporations over the last few decades, is like in the following clip about feeding fizzy pop with "electrolytes" to plants ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3boy_tLWeqA

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

aah yes wrote: »

Even ultra pure water is actually NOT leaching your body of any good stuff, as your body has developed over millions of years not to allow this. The human body is not a copper pipe.

Personally I wouldn't drink it. You body has developed over millions of years not to do so.
    Drinking distilled water is bad, drinking seawater is bad. Drinking water contaminated with human or bovine (or any other) excrement is bad. Of course in Ireland the fact that sh*t shouldn't be in the water in the first place is very carefully ignored and swept under the carpet, because we don't want to upset certain pressure and interest groups.
    So we trumpet the solution that "raw" water is bad (well it is here) and we need hyper modern water treatment plants and home filtration systems. That to me signals that there is a problem in the previous step, i.e. before the water even enters the treatment plants.
    My point is, the water from the tap should be safe to drink, if there's lead and human and animal waste in it, filters are only a sticky plaster solution. Maybe even a necessary one.
    Bottled water may be needed in some cases, in some ares of Ennis there have been boil notices in place for YEARS. It's like being on holiday in Mexico, where Aqua Purificado is an absolute necessity.
    I'm lucky enough to have my own water, it certainly has some particles in it, but nothing nasty.

Personally I wouldn't drink it. You body has developed over millions of years not to do so.

Actually, you could not be more thoroughly wrong. Water, the very stuff god / big bang made and evolution accommodated incremental allowances for in the animal and plant kingdom over the billennia, is no enemy to mankind.

You probably do not know how to recognise water in a blind taste test whether it is ultrapure water, rain water, RO water, Volvic or other waters. The good thing about RO water is that it is close enough to just water but not like distilled or ultra pure.

Here is a table for you ...

Ultrapure Water - 18.3 megohm conductivity - the planet's purest water - used for manufacture in semiconductor components, pharmaceutical processes, etc [Potable to drink ?] Yes - perfectly good hydration, zero harm. (It is water !) - expensive to drink

Ultrapure Water - 1 microsiemen conductivity - very pure water - used for manufacture in medical components, inkjet cartridges, renal dialysis, etc [Potable to drink ?] Yes - perfectly good hydration, zero harm. (It is water !) - quite expensive to drink

Distilled Water - 1+ microsiemen conductivity - reasonably pure water - used for drinking water, topping up batteries, renal dialysis (medical grade), etc [Potable to drink ?] Yes - perfectly good hydration, zero harm. (It is water !) - expensive

Rain Tank Water (unfiltered) - 0 to 5 ppm or mg/L TDS or mineral content - reasonably pure water (chemically) - used for bathing, washing around the yard, etc [Potable to drink ?] No - saturated with high levels (1,000's) of E.coli count. - cheap

Rain Tank Water (filtered) - 0 to 5 ppm or mg/L TDS or mineral content - reasonably pure water - used for drinking, bathing, etc [Potable to drink ?] Yes - if E.coli count is Zero. - cheap

RO Water - 10 to 50 ppm or mg/L TDS or mineral content - used for drinking water, etc [Potable to drink ?] Yes - perfectly good hydration, zero harm. (It is water - with minerals !) - low cost

RO Water plus extra mineral - 50 to 200 ppm or mg/L TDS or mineral content - used for drinking water, etc [Potable to drink ?] Yes - perfectly good hydration, zero harm. (It is water - with more minerals !) - low cost

Tap or Well Water (Renvyle, Connemara) - 0 to 5 ppm or mg/L TDS or mineral content - reasonably pure water - used for drinking, bathing, washing around the yard, etc [Potable to drink ?] Yes - perfectly good hydration, zero harm. (It is water !) - cheap

Tap or Well Water (Galway City) - 150 ppm or mg/L TDS or mineral content - reasonably hard water - used for drinking, bathing, washing around the yard, etc [Potable to drink ?] Yes - perfectly good hydration, zero harm. (It is water !) - cheap

In blind taste tests, the Galway City water always comes out worst !

Drinking distilled water is bad.

If so, chemistry teachers at school would warn about this !! Also millions of domestic water distillers for potable water around the world would not be manufactured and the companies would be sued in class action law suits. To date not a single law suit on the planet. Imagine the litigious Americans and the number of personal distillers sold in the US, there would be a blood bath in the courts for manufacturers if they did not work !! Not a single American distiller user has demonstrated a health issue with any single distiller.

Drinking seawater is bad.

Yes like smoking - we know !!

Drinking water contaminated with human or bovine (or any other) excrement is bad.

Mmm, I have drank worse, but I know what you mean.

Of course in Ireland the fact that sh*t shouldn't be in the water in the first place is very carefully ignored and swept under the carpet, because we don't want to upset certain pressure and interest groups.

Actually, you could not be more thoroughly wrong. Every public water scheme in Ireland more than 4 houses in size have tough regular independent water testing audits done quarterly by local sanitary departments, overseen by the national EPA and EU Water Directives. Prison sentences have been introduced in the last decade for up to 3 months in jail or fines for €3,000 for scheme administrators, yet compliance to targets for most water supplies has been fairly exceptional for E.coli year to year, increasingly better overall in the last 10 years. Any schemes failing to comply or repeatedly failing bacterial tests would normally be taken away from private hands and upgraded to a higher commercial scope of operation.

So we trumpet the solution that "raw" water is bad (well it is here) and we need hyper modern water treatment plants and home filtration systems. That to me signals that there is a problem in the previous step, i.e. before the water even enters the treatment plants.

"Before the water even enters the treatment plants" ? Do you mean raw water from boreholes, lakes and rivers ?

My point is, the water from the tap should be safe to drink, if there's lead and human and animal waste in it, filters are only a sticky plaster solution. Maybe even a necessary one.

What if there is lead and nickel in your tap ? What if your pipes in the house are lead, or have dead legs leaving stagnating water sat in tee'd pipe offshoots. Filters of course would be necessary because they can act as a goal keeper at the very end of the process of water travelling miles from its source, and possibly picking up something not too good on the way, along with chlorine or fluoride ?

Bottled water may be needed in some cases, in some ares of Ennis there have been boil notices in place for YEARS. It's like being on holiday in Mexico, where Aqua Purificado is an absolute necessity.

Of course, on holiday .... bottled water !! At home, if you are buying bottled water every day, sure ye are rich enough.

I'm lucky enough to have my own water, it certainly has some particles in it, but nothing nasty.

Have you tested your water in a proper lab ? Don't tell me you haven't !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

Drinking distilled water is bad, and any half decent chemistry teacher would tell you that. The WHO and others studied the use of distilled water and found that because it is stripped of all minerals it can cause electrolyte imbalances in your body. But sure look that's just the WHO and scientific studies.

Electrolyte imbalances causes all kinds of nifty side effects you may experience fatigue, weakness, headache, muscle cramps and an abnormal heart rate.
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

In a planet of 7 billion people, a few chaps (yet to be named? - anyone give me names ? - no probably not) say 2 people on the planet could have ben suggested to have drank distilled water all their life and not follow a good diet, or simply be genetically poor in taking in minerals, they would have died anyway ? So are we talking 2 people on the planet yet to be named ? I expect there is no actual people and it is just another mineral myth.

What the WHO and all the planet's EPA's will not say is that RO water is bad, because of course it is not distilled water they are on about. Even distilled waters are perfectly fine, (if you eat food) as millions of water distillers are sold every year and over the last 100 years there have been zero courts cases.

So distilled water is perfectly fine to drink, distiller makers have never been sued in 100 years, RO makers have not been sued in 50 years, RO water has minerals, the WHO have never said RO system are bad, EVER.

If you eat food you get 100% of your minerals. Give me a proper source from any acclaimed medical establishment or any world government or any world respected NGO, that says RO systems (that have minerals - too plenty to mention) - are bad?

I will give that person €1000, who can make that clear distinction, and not buffoons with ludicrous waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

aah yes wrote: »
    In a planet of 7 billion people, a few chaps (yet to be named? - anyone give me names ? - no probably not) say 2 people on the planet could have ben suggested to have drank distilled water all their life and not follow a good diet, or simply be genetically poor in taking in minerals, they would have died anyway ? So are we talking 2 people on the planet yet to be named ? I expect there is no actual people and it is just another mineral myth.

What the WHO and all the planet's EPA's will not say is that RO water is bad, because of course it is not distilled water they are on about. Even distilled waters are perfectly fine, (if you eat food) as millions of water distillers are sold every year and over the last 100 years there have been zero courts cases.

So distilled water is perfectly fine to drink, distiller makers have never been sued in 100 years, RO makers have not been sued in 50 years, RO water has minerals, the WHO have never said RO system are bad, EVER.

If you eat food you get 100% of your minerals. Give me a proper source from any acclaimed medical establishment or any world government or any world respected NGO, that says RO systems (that have minerals - too plenty to mention) - are bad?

I will give that person €1000, who can make that clear distinction, and not buffoons with ludicrous waffle.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC182827/

What on earth has a link to a study about heterotrophic plate count in old 1988 RO systems got to do about suggestions of low mineral water content in modern day RO systems ? Cracker jack fruit loops, grasping for straws.

I found 50 pence once in Scotland, but now I mainly hunt for ferrets in Cork.

my3cents wrote: »

Again massive nonsense on stilts, quackery of the highest magnitude.

The first link you managed to dig out of the gutter, is about the web's biggest quack scam merchant so called "Dr." Joseph M. Mercola an alternative medicine nut ball, and web entrepreneur "who markets a variety of controversial dietary supplements and medical devices through his website, mercola.com"

here he is ...

dr-mercola-scam.jpg

The second link you slopped out of the web trash, was the highly disclaimed report by late accession state Czech Republic's Frantisek Kozisek banging the oft heard Slavic drum of adulterating water with added lime and other substances for medication for the masses where, virtually all long standing European states all go against this sabre rattling decade after decade - so the conclusion of the report ...

"The WHO in the 2nd edition of Guidelines for Drinking-water Quality (61) evaluated calcium and magnesium in terms of water hardness but did not recommend either minimum levels or maximum limits for calcium, magnesium, or hardness.

The first European Directive (62) established a requirement for minimum hardness for softened or desalinated water (≥ 60 mg/L as calcium or equivalent cations). This requirement appeared obligatorily in the national legislations of all EEC members, but this Directive expired in December 2003 when a new Directive (63) became effective.

The new Directive does not contain a requirement for calcium, magnesium, or water hardness levels.

So every decade over the last 5 decades or more have seen effectively all EU states agree along even with WHO guidelines that state that water cannot be a reliable source for minerals and so the EU state that no mineral levels in drinking water should exist ... i.e. medication for the masses, (adulterating the quality of naturally sourced / treated waters already in compliance of EU safety directives.)

• Advertisement

papu wrote: »
    Drinking distilled water is bad, and any half decent chemistry teacher would tell you that. The WHO and others studied the use of distilled water and found that because it is stripped of all minerals it can cause electrolyte imbalances in your body. But sure look that's just the WHO and scientific studies.

Electrolyte imbalances causes all kinds of nifty side effects you may experience fatigue, weakness, headache, muscle cramps and an abnormal heart rate.
    :cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3boy_tLWeqA

Advertisement