Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Low Fat Yoghurt

• 19-04-2015 10:07pm
    Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I was in the supermarket earlier and picked up a carton of yoghurt in the normal yoghurt section only to find that it was low fat yoghurt.

It irritated me because I prefer real yoghurt. And when I checked for the full fat ones there were none left. This got me wondering if anyone buys the low fat or fat free yoghurts anymore?

As I understand it they were something of a fad in the 90s until people started to realise that because they add a load of sugar there is negligible calorie difference between the two. Moreover, with a lot of people on low or no carb diets, and a lot (if not most people) who are accepting that fat is not as bad as once thought and sugar is much worse, I cant see who wants the low fat ones.

Is it a case that people still buy the low fat ones unthinkingly, presuming its better for them? Certainly the absence of any real yoghurt beside an abundance of low fat/fat free ones would suggest that in some places at least this isnt working.

Intrigued by all of this, I went to another shop that had 3 varieties of natural yoghurt. All listed ingredients as milk, milk powder and yoghurt bacteria. But there was a big difference between each re: calories and protein. In the end I plummed for the high cal high protein one as it seemed to be the most honest of the labels (gave the percentage of milk used and named the individual bacteria).

Does anyone have any good advice on buying yoghurt, and does anyone else think they should just get rid of the low fat ones altogether?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Buying into low-fat stuff wasn't a 90s thing. It's still fairly widely done now by people who think they're making the right choice. But more people are better advised now so it's starting to change but it will be some time yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I think if you look at them, there s not negligible calorie differences.

I have to buy them from time to time for a relative and there can be 100 calories in the difference. They no longer carry large sugar amounts, that was a 90's thing. Lidl sell Splenda yogurts which can be eaten by diabetics.

People are aware, but now they read labels,

Plus, weight watchers and slimming world and unislim recommend low fat to people in ther programmes.

Personally I love the Greek full fat in lidl, can't beat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

The only advice I ake when buying yoghurt is that I need to recognise the ingredients, which is what you did anyway.

I only buy natural greek/greek style yogurt and add my own ingredients. I was buying the fat free versions for ages but I buy full fat these days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Buy Fage Greek Yogurt it you can. Its available in my local Tesco's not sure if other supermarkets stock it. Adore the stuff you know by the taste it good for you. Other yogurts are sugar ridden garbage. Albeit some brands are decent enough.

• Advertisement

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Buy Fage Greek Yogurt it you can. Its available in my local Tesco's not sure if other supermarkets stock it. Adore the stuff you know by the taste it good for you. Other yogurts are sugar ridden garbage. Albeit some brands are decent enough.

Can you get the full fat one in your shop? I've only ever found the 0% stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

It depends on what you consider negligible I suppose, and what you're trying to achieve. There can be 25-30 calories per 100g difference between a low fat and a zero fat version, not sure on full fat. For someone calorie counting, every little helps!

For what its worth, my local centra normally has zero, low and full fat yogurts.

Macy0161 wrote: »
    It depends on what you consider negligible I suppose, and what you're trying to achieve. There can be 25-30 calories per 100g difference between a low fat and a zero fat version, not sure on full fat. For someone calorie counting, every little helps!

For what its worth, my local centra normally has zero, low and full fat yogurts.

The problem with most "low fat" yogurt is that they're crammed full of extra sugar.

Whether you're doing alright or you're looking to see where the problem lies in your diet, yoghurt isn't going to be a big issue.

Can you get the full fat one in your shop? I've only ever found the 0% stuff.
    I hope not no :)

• Advertisement

Mortins in Ranelagh have the full fat tubs. Or they used to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

The problem with most "low fat" yogurt is that they're crammed full of extra sugar.
    Again, it might depend on the definition of crammed, and I'll have to check, but from memory there's under a teaspoon difference between a duneen full fat yogurt and a zero fat yogurt in a 125g. I only buy natural, so maybe that changes with flavours, and/or the more snacky single portion tubs and/or my memory is shot!

I looked at their Fat Free and Zero Fat strawberry yoghurts and there is 7 kcals in the difference when you compare 125g pots of each.

Fat and sugar will also have opposite effects on satiety, for the most part.

But ultimately, in the big picture, yoghurt isn't going to be an issue.

If it is, there's something wrong somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

I buy the plain low fat yoghurt from Lidl/ Aldi. The irish one that doesnt have sugar added. It like 55cent for 500ml and its made by a decent Irish company

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Well, I buy yogurt (plain, natural, unsweetened) all the time: I find that having a dairy serving in a meal keeps me full if I'm not having bread, etc.
    Have tried all the brands - will always try a new one!
    NO-fat is usually watery and tasteless and weird-textured; but "normal" or full-fat is often a higher calorie allowance - for me, a middle-aged lady that puts on weight as easy as falling off a greasy pole!
    Not advertising or anything, but the Glen**k Low-fat Natural is the nicest one I know and I always come back to it. Lovely too as a dollop with curry or chilli, or a comforting food when sick (adding a bit of warm honey)
    I wouldn't eat the "fruit" ones at all, usually too sweet anyway.
    Just my personal tuppenceworth.

Again, it might depend on the definition of crammed, and I'll have to check, but from memory there's under a teaspoon difference between a duneen full fat yogurt and a zero fat yogurt in a 125g. I only buy natural, so maybe that changes with flavours, and/or the more snacky single portion tubs and/or my memory is shot!

I'm the same, in that I only buy natural, a treat would be a blueberry glenisk greek style yogurt but I'm so aware of hidden sugar in food that I tend to prefer just adding stuff to natural yogurts.

Speaking of which! It's really bloody difficult to buy individual tubs of greek yogurt, does anyone know of any regular brands? I buy the large tubs and make up little jars of it like this. But for handiness it would be nice to have individual tubs of it in the fridge to grab if I'm tight on time.

M&S do really nice ones, but I would rather get them with the rest of my shopping if possible.

Fage 170g tubs, innit.

Fage 170g tubs, innit.

Ranelagh but!

Ranelagh but!

Tesco and Dunnes, inallinanywayas.

Tesco and Dunnes, inallinanywayas.

That's only 0% though!

Also, I've an irrational hatred of Tesco. Actually irrational. And Dunnes is all breaching peoples rights these days aren't they.

Right now is one of those tight for time days so I just flung a tub of crushed nuts (roasted with maple syrup - ohmigod) and a passion fruit into my bag and bought a natural yogurt in work but regular natural yogurts are all boring and runny. I like it thick :P

• Advertisement

Eh, sorry for hijacking your thread Johnny :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

Ranelagh but!

Also Donnybrook Fair - so stillorgan etc.

Also Donnybrook Fair - so stillorgan etc.

Oh good to know, that's handier. Thanks.

That's only 0% though!

Also, I've an irrational hatred of Tesco. Actually irrational. And Dunnes is all breaching peoples rights these days aren't they.

Right now is one of those tight for time days so I just flung a tub of crushed nuts (roasted with maple syrup - ohmigod) and a passion fruit into my bag and bought a natural yogurt in work but regular natural yogurts are all boring and runny. I like it thick :P

Ara Jaysus!

You can lead a horse* to yoghurt. ..

*not sayin' you're a horse :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

That's only 0% though!

The Lidl/Aldi plain yoghurt is pretty thick. It like a luxury thick yoghurt with flavourings added

Ara Jaysus!

You can lead a horse* to yoghurt. ..

*not sayin' you're a horse :D

Haha, I almost replied 'moo' to this post.

I think I need a coffee :pac:

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Thanks all, some interesting info alright.
    Speaking of which! It's really bloody difficult to buy individual tubs of greek yogurt, does anyone know of any regular brands? I buy the large tubs and make up little jars of it like this. But for handiness it would be nice to have individual tubs of it in the fridge to grab if I'm tight on time.

Old MacDonalds do 250ml tubs and (i think) 100ml tubs. About €1.50/€1 in fresh though, so not cheap.

Usually available in other such places too:

https://thehappypear.ie/shop/macd-natural-yoghurt-1585

Ah Yeh, there's loads of natural yogurt, just no greek yogurt. I stocked up in M&S today and threw them in the fridge in work :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I buy low fat greek yogurt.
    It's higher in protein and I make protein ice-cream with it. I could use full fat, but I like the extra protein and a convenient 100cals/100g too.
    I've enough of a grasp of nutrition to not be concerned about being "crammed full of sugar", there is virtually no sugar added. I also get enough fat less where not to miss the 10g they remove.

Anybody sneering at my choice while gobbling a full fat yogurt would be laughed at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

I used to eat low fat yogurt while dieting until one day I read the labels and was shocked at the sugar contents. I now only eat the Alpro Plain soya based yogurt:

http://www.alpro.com/uk/products/plant-based-yogurt-variation/big-plain/plain

Considering how much I loved the sugar filled stuff (and still do, the very odd time I have one), I was surprised to discover I actually really liked the Alpro! I certainly prefer it to plain Greek style dairy based yogurt, which always tastes kind of sour to me.

Mellor wrote: »
    I buy low fat greek yogurt.
    It's higher in protein and I make protein ice-cream with it. I could use full fat, but I like the extra protein and a convenient 100cals/100g too.
    I've enough of a grasp of nutrition to not be concerned about being "crammed full of sugar", there is virtually no sugar added. I also get enough fat less where not to miss the 10g they remove.

Anybody sneering at my choice while gobbling a full fat yogurt would be laughed at.

I gather by the wording of your post that it was aimed at me though I'm not sure why the need for the tone.

First of all, I did say most low fat yogurts, not all. The Glenisk greek low fat yogurts would be my "flavoured" yogurt of choice which I've already mentioned.

The reason I choose full fat is not to sneer at others, sneering at people's food choices is not something I would ever do. I've struggled enough with my own diet in years past to sit on that high horse. Although ironically your post seems to sneer at mine....

I eat full fat because I find it difficult to get enough calories in in my day. This is one of the easier ways to add them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,601 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I gather by the wording of your post that it was aimed at me though I'm not sure why the need for the tone.
    It wasn't aimed at any poster in particular.
    I had to scroll up to see which posts were yours. I only just crammed as it was repeated more than once, not to target you.:)

3rdDegree wrote: »
    I used to eat low fat yogurt while dieting until one day I read the labels and was shocked at the sugar contents. I now only eat the Alpro Plain soya based yogurt:

http://www.alpro.com/uk/products/plant-based-yogurt-variation/big-plain/plain

Considering how much I loved the sugar filled stuff (and still do, the very odd time I have one), I was surprised to discover I actually really liked the Alpro! I certainly prefer it to plain Greek style dairy based yogurt, which always tastes kind of sour to me.
    People just don't read the back of these so called low fat yogurts. Some of the sugar content in the products are comical.

As if they heard me asking, Glenisk have these new individual tubs of natural greek yogurt. Very handy to grab in the little Tesco I pass on the way to work. Although at 0% fat they're 83 calories less than the M&S. Still 3 grams more protein though. I'll throw in extra nuts in to make up the calorie deficit on days I'm unorganised....like today.

10689467_10153386272545984_7841895196352246076_n.jpg?oh=0e6e36e84ceb6697c78328d22e82f6b8&oe=55D12A8F

Advertisement