Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Craving sugar in the middle of the night

• 23-04-2015 1:17am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭

Right folks this is starting to drive me batty. Regularly wake up in the middle of the night pulling the place apart for something ANYTHING sugary. Rarely have anything of any sort in the house, but if there happens to be something I scoff it, get back into bed and I'm out for the count. When its not there (the majority of the time) I feel stressed. I know just how stupid this sounds but its starting to really affect my sleep.... My diet is as follows :

Breakfast - porridge with almond milk and prune yoghurt or a combo of 2 of the following eggs, bacon, brown bread, beans.

Lunch- homemade veg soup OR stir fry veg and chicken and small portion of rice OR omelette (if I haven't had eggs for breakfast) OR salad.
    Usually have some nuts and fruit, handful of sugar snap peas or fage total yogurt with some seeds and raisins as well if I'm still hungry.

Dinner is usually meat of some sort, veg of some sort and carbs of some sort.... In every meal I try to pile my plate with veg.

I clock in each days calories on myfitness pal. My job is lightly active and I try to walk 3-4 times a week.

Snacks would be fruit, peanut butter, fage yoghurt with some seeds, nuts fruit etc...

I'm really happy with my diet but need to stop these middle of the night cravings. The nights I happen to have chocolate before bed I don't wake up with the cravings but I obviously don't want to use that as a solution.

Has anyone any advice?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Perhaps it's more of a sleep issue rather than a sugar-craving issue?

Maybe, if you find out why you keep waking up, then the craving won't exist any more.

Have you always woken in the middle of the night, or is it a recent thing? Are you more anxious or stressed than usual?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

That sounds really weird tbh.

A square of dark chocolate before bed sounds fairly okay to me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It sounds more like a mental thing than an actual physical craving.

Have you cut a lot of sugar from your diet lately?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

Your blood sugar is dropping in the middle of the night, which is very strange indeed. Have you gotten checked out by a GP? Could be indicative of something more serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 roisin.browne

I used to have the same thing happen to me but with Coke (as in cola!!) Would wake up around 2am and nothing would appease me until I had a swig. Granted, I was in the middle of a full blown obsession with the stuff. Once I started waking up with that craving, I decided it was time to nip it in the bud so I went cold turkey. Now, I would have a diet version the odd time. My advice would be to not give in to the craving!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭liam24

It's pretty simple. Cut out 200 calories from the rest of your diet. Or get a bike and cycle instead of walking. Then you can eat a packet of m&ms and a Coke zero before you go to sleep. That should help. Of eat half the packet and leave the rest in case you wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

It sounds more like a mental thing than an actual physical craving.

Have you cut a lot of sugar from your diet lately?

I thought the same.
    About 5 years ago I literally cut out all added sugar from my diet and experienced the same for the first few weeks.
    Started taking cottage cheese + peanut butter 30mins before bed and it stopped the cravings and they have never returned thank god.

Advertisement