Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heineken Cup Weekend (9th/10th/11th November)

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Erin Go Brath

Munster were very unlucky not to come away with the points. The sin-binning looks like the turning point in this game. Reckon we would've won otherwise. Cracking game though. O'Gara was superb, the grubber kick for the try was quality. I was impressed with Tipoki and Mafi, and Hurley looks good too. I'm not sure why Dowling wasn't playing, he was arguably Munsters best player last week in the Magners. Horgan is not up to it i'm afraid. Poor handler of the ball, no pace to speak of, alround doesnt bring much to the table. Disappointed with the result, but getting a bonus could be important, especially if we beat Wasps, and deny them a bonus at home. Clermont look a cracking team though, will be hard to beat. This is the toughest group of the lot imo.

Top marks go to Leinster for an excellent win against the expectations of most. Darcy back to his old self, and Contepomi played well. Leinster defended well against all that Leicester threw at them which bodes well for their chances in this group. Hopefully they can carry this form in their away matches. The Toulouse game next week should be a cracker. Watched them against Edinburgh and they didn't look any great shakes to me. Leinster could take them if they carry their form from Saturday with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Amz wrote: »
    Thought ROG's comments about one or two of the players not having the belief to win were a bit off. That won't help any questions of morale.

Totally out of order IMHO. Just a case of another Corkman trying to emulate Roy Keane. And choosing to replicate the worst parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

bleg wrote: »
    off the cuff remark in the heat of the moment. don't blow it out of proportion, o gara says whatever comes into his head when he's interviewed. he wasn't trying to insult anybody in the same was he wasn't trying to insult anybody with his comments about sky sports hyping up charlie hodgson
    How long has O'Gara been dealing with the media at this stage? He knows better than to make "Off the cuff" remarks that could potentially be damaging. I can understand him being disappointed, but I don't think that's an excuse for public comments like that, whatever about in the dressing room.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Sangre wrote: »
    Anyone see Buckley's hand off on Shaw? Probably the best hand off I've ever seen, just tossed him to the ground like he was a ragdoll. He also got a huge hit on someone else, can't recall though.
    That was great. It's not often Shaw gets tossed around like a doll. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭High&Low

GDM wrote: »
    Watched both games today and I have to say Leinster looked the better of the the (forget about Ulster they're pretty much out already). Jackman was my man of the match in the Leinster game.

Jackman was great around the pitch, but he cannot throw the ball into the line-out, Leinster lost way too many line-outs because of him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Jackmans a bit of a woods type hooker - awful lineout man, but willing to put his head where others wouldnt put their feet. He has amazing acceleration for a man that size as well.

Actually, did anyone see gomez hit that ruck after he came on? started about 10-15 feet out and just accelerated and hit it so hard - was unbelievable to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

çrash_000 wrote: »
    Jackmans a bit of a woods type hooker - awful lineout man, but willing to put his head where others wouldnt put their feet. He has amazing acceleration for a man that size as well.

Actually, did anyone see gomez hit that ruck after he came on? started about 10-15 feet out and just accelerated and hit it so hard - was unbelievable to see.

Jackman has lots of great aspects to his game, and takes the ball up well, but there will always be question marks over his throwing, which is the priority for a hooker, espeically with the Irish/Leinster backline, who are devastating off set piece ball.

I remember seeing Gomez hit that ruck, pretty ferocious alright. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

just watching the match again now...Berdos really is the perfect ref for Leinster. He allows opensides (and our centres) to rip the ball even when it is technically a ruck.

The exact opposite happened last year against Edinburgh.

RuggieBear wrote: »
    just watching the match again now...Berdos really is the perfect ref for Leinster. He allows opensides (and our centres) to rip the ball even when it is technically a ruck.

The exact opposite happened last year against Edinburgh.

At least they don't have Patterson this year, he punished us badly!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Looking at the Munster game when is Marcus Horan going to get his arse off the wing it makes no sense to have him out there, if we were 5 yards out from the try line you'd say fair enough but he slows down the attack every time.

Still fancy Munster to beat Llanelli home and away, don't think Wasps are going to travel well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭EdgarAllenPoo

I don't think it's that smart of Wasps to play Ricky Flutey, London Irish didn't want him because he was such a horrible kicker and I don't think that's likely to change.

Does Van Gisbergen not take the kicks for Wasps? with Alex King sunning himself over at Clermont Auvergne ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

razorblunt wrote: »
    Looking at the Munster game when is Marcus Horan going to get his arse off the wing it makes no sense to have him out there, if we were 5 yards out from the try line you'd say fair enough but he slows down the attack every time.

Ive been saying this for years. Doesnt look like it will happen anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

MikeHoncho wrote: »
    Ive been saying this for years. Doesnt look like it will happen anytime soon.

Ditto cept not for 5 years :P He's absolutely useless and as iv said before he must have been a winger in his youth days and manage to eat all the pies. He's cost Ireland and Munster many chances because of him thinking he can take on opposition wingers

zabbo wrote: »
    Does Van Gisbergen not take the kicks for Wasps? with Alex King sunning himself over at Clermont Auvergne ?

Nope its Cipriani great prospect for Wasps and England. Thing that annoys me the most is that England have the choice of 3 emerging great out halfs in the form of Danny, Lamb and Shane while we have..........a centre and a decent out half who the IRFU seem to prefer having a man 1000 times better him meaning he'll hardly see most matches this year unless Dr. Phil get injured

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Stev_o wrote: »
    Ditto cept not for 5 years :P He's absolutely useless and as iv said before he must have been a winger in his youth days and manage to eat all the pies. He's cost Ireland and Munster many chances because of him thinking he can take on opposition wingers

And that's assuming he can catch the bloody ball in the first place, which going by his world cup form is pretty unlikely.

Well, we're looking at Munster to deliver the props, Leinster recruited 3 non-irish props over the summer...with Simon Best unlikely to play again after his stroke, and Byron Young not being good enough, we don't have much options.

I'd love to see Hurly and Healy get more gametime at the provinces.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

The English Independent today described the Leicester 8 as having minced the Leinster pack :rolleyes:

• Subscribers Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

uberwolf wrote: »
    The English Independent today described the Leicester 8 as having minced the Leinster pack :rolleyes:

they must have got the names mixed up..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Actually, so glad the leicester fans had the sense to shout for "tigers" and not "leicester" this time round - leinster leicester got VERY confusing at the game two years ago :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Pity Munster didn't close it out like they usually do, but I think they would have taken the single point if they were offered it the day of the draw. Nice to see ROG finding some form and Stringer doing his thing again.
    Leinster looked very good. A good performance from the forwards, great defense, and the backs looked sharp.
    Ulster.......McCall will be looking for work soon, methinks. They have a decent team, and being embarrassed like that in Ravenhill will not sit well with the fans.

copacetic wrote: »
    they must have got the names mixed up..

thereafter the Tigers were left cursing their inability to turn possession and territory into points. Their pack, led by the former England tight-head Julian White, made mincemeat of the home eight, but Leinster's defence proved watertight.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

thereafter the Tigers were left cursing their inability to turn possession and territory into points. Their pack, led by the former England tight-head Julian White, made mincemeat of the home eight, but Leinster's defence proved watertight.

who's the journo?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,564 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I believed you alright, and read it before I posted, I know he meant it alright, but could easily have swopped the names and been more realistic imo. wasn't getting at you, at the journo..

Well then again if anyone watched the coverage one Sky Sports it was completely one sided apart from Greenword saying a few extremely weird metaphors about shutting doors anytime the Tigers made a break etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Diamondmaker

I was in the north end and didn't hear any jeering at all? There was a few half hearted cheers as people knew he had come out of 'hiding' the night before, but certainly no jeering?

Deffo in the terrace ! was there......

I believed you alright, and read it before I posted, I know he meant it alright, but could easily have swopped the names and been more realistic imo. wasn't getting at you, at the journo..

if I'd read my post, I'd have presumed a typo by the journalist.

Ruggie - http://sport.independent.co.uk/rugby_union/article3152375.ece
    Wyn Griffiths

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Marshy

It was extraordinary how Leicester just couldn't capitalise whenever they got close to scoring. Its a long time since I saw a team have so much territory, in the opposition 22 a lot of the time and fail to register a try.

I mean fair play to the Leinster defence but I think some of it must come down to a lack of dynamism from Leicester tbh.

Advertisement