Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NUTS! this is just a Loaded Nuts!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭spankysue

I saw a feminist on Sky News this morning talking about this and how women "Don't feel safe" around these magazines. How? The fear of getting a paper cut is the only thing I can think of :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

this is hysterical nonsense

but on a side note, who actually buys these lads mags?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

IMO women's magazines are much more damaging to women than Lad's mags; with their articles focussing on weight and attractiveness.

If anything women's mags are harmful to women's self image, and lad's mags are harmful to lads' ability to relate to women in real life. Ban the lot of them. We'll be grand with Woman's Weekly and Carp Fishing Monthly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

cournioni wrote: »
    Some women are obviously comfortable with their bodies being used in these magazines so they should respect it.

Interestingly, the women who get good money to pose in these mags often have fake boobs. What is disturbing about that is how they only became "comfortable" enough with their bodies after subscribing to society's preference to large breasts. I still find the body facism of that marginally less worrying than the women's mags pointing at cellulite and a few extra pounds, not to mention the unrelenting abuse about getting older and constant barrage of products to prevent such ugliness :eek: Apparently, according to women's mags, we should be little girls our whole lives without an inch of fat. I find that more insulting than the male preference for bigger boobs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

@suicide circus

I reckon they sell well in airports.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

That said, I worked in a newsagents when I was 15 and I haaaated stacking the shelves with Nuts et al.

As a 15 year old guy, that was one of the job perks for me. Rip the front cover off, send the bar code back to the supplier for the 'unsold' magazine, keep the rest.

Free material in the days of dial up :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭joe stodge

They should ban women's mags too. Lets have non-gender specific magazines .. About kettles. You dont see many of those.

Eh, here ya go. Behold! Gravies of the ancients magazine http://youtu.be/9wz0KitxtDQ

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

are these women just a group of unemployed women with nothing to do? genuine question....

i wonder if they are also against the Womens Institute and their horribly demeaning calendar that they sold millions of copies of?

surely there are more important things to stand up for in this day and age?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

are these women just a group of unemployed women with nothing to do? genuine question....

i wonder if they are also against the Womens Institute and their horribly demeaning calendar that they sold millions of copies of?

surely there are more important things to stand up for in this day and age?

This.

It really never fails to get my hackles up. Feminism should be about equal rights and equal opportunities.
    It should not - NOT EVER - be about telling women which mags they can pose in, nor should it be about telling men not to look at them.

I despise the fact that feminism to some has become an excuse for the same bigoted hatred of anything nude or sexual that the moral guardians in the 1960s were rallying against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Shenshen wrote: »
    I despise the fact that feminism to some has become an excuse for the same bigoted hatred of anything nude or sexual that the moral guardians in the 1960s were rallying against.

This! It's true enough and I think, convenient, for certain women to point the finger at lad's mags while never, but never, questioning how they might perpetuate inequality themselves by subscribing to the kind of shaming that goes on in women's mags. There's some massive double standards happening there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

How can they say stuff like this. They dont represent all women, least of all the women in these magazines. None of them are being photographed at gun point, they all do it very willingly and are very handsomely rewarded for it.
    What a blatant sexist remark.
    Handsome being a word to describe male attractiveness.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

What a blatant sexist remark.
    Handsome being a word to describe male attractiveness.

Hunky women :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

this.

off topic im sorry but what does that mean??? sat looking at the pc and just dont get it.

double standards all over this it seems us men bend over backwards at times in order to be overly pc, and it wouldnt surprise me if some places did stop stocking mags for a brief period.
    i completely agree men=women-genitals+boobs 100% equal otherwise, however if a woman over the age of 18 wants to do that job and men want to buy a mag or two why should anyone be offended? who do these women think they are protecting?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭GalwayGuy2

i completely agree men=women-genitals+boobs 100% equal otherwise, however if a woman over the age of 18 wants to do that job and men want to buy a mag or two why should anyone be offended? who do these women think they are protecting?

The vibe that I'm getting is that some people believe it causes rape and violence against women. So, they'll pretty much do anything to stop it.

Advertisement