Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭[CrimsonGhost]

- Soul of the moonlight Butterfly: Nothing here to interest really, i'd give it to frampt for 8,000 souls.

Crystal Ring Shield. 90% Damage reduction to magic. Seriously, this is handy.
    I wouldn't give it up for a measly 8000 souls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Just got to Kiln of the 1st flame, just making sure I haven't missed anything or if there is anything I should do before going to the end.

I have all the boss souls, I'll likely use those depending on how much titanite i have, I've killed any npc's I wanted things from after buying what every they had in the way of spells etc.

What will I lose going forward? I'm assuming the abyss ring to stop me getting to the 4 kings before getting the lord vessel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Crystal Ring Shield. 90% Damage reduction to magic. Seriously, this is handy.
    I wouldn't give it up for a measly 8000 souls.

The Crest shield from Oscar would be a better alternative. It only has 10% less magic resistance but has 30% more physical resistance (100% physical) and 15 more stability points than the crystal shield, with upgrading the stability goes even higher also.

The Crystal Ring shield used to be good with its energy wave attack but got completely nerfed in one of the patches.

I haven't seen the shield being used even once by anyone in PvP or co-op.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

calex71 wrote: »
    Just got to Kiln of the 1st flame, just making sure I haven't missed anything or if there is anything I should do before going to the end.

I have all the boss souls, I'll likely use those depending on how much titanite i have, I've killed any npc's I wanted things from after buying what every they had in the way of spells etc.

What will I lose going forward? I'm assuming the abyss ring to stop me getting to the 4 kings before getting the lord vessel?

you will lose all quest items
    as the game restarts to ng+
    but i think you keep everything else if i remember correctly :) yes the four kings abyss ring will go, but you can get it back quickly in ng+ cause now you know were to go to get it ;)

i cant remember if your souls get reset , not your soul level but your actual souls, can anyone answer this? as i am going for ng+2 tonight :D PRAISE THE SUN:D

You keep everything except the Covenant of Artorias, Orange Charred Ring, all keys and embers and also the repair/reinforcement kits. The Rite of Kindling needs to be gotten again as well. You'll keep all your souls too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Harps

Is the DLC worth getting for a first time playthrough? Roughly in the same position as Calex at the moment, I have all the lord souls and just have a few things to tie up before heading for the final area. I'm fully intending to play it again so thinking of just leaving the DLC till next time when I'll hopefully be able to run through the game twice as fast

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

NG+ is very easy, you'll be at the end of Anor Londo in a couple of hours if you want to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Harps wrote: »
    Is the DLC worth getting for a first time playthrough? Roughly in the same position as Calex at the moment, I have all the lord souls and just have a few things to tie up before heading for the final area. I'm fully intending to play it again so thinking of just leaving the DLC till next time when I'll hopefully be able to run through the game twice as fast

The DLC is great for PVP if that interests you. Story wise for a challenge its ok first playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭weiland79

Taurus Demons are hammering the ****e the out of me, finding them very tough

Scratch that got em all

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anyone want an extremely glitchy FPS version of Dark Souls? The pc provides :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Finally got around to installing this after I picked it up in the steam sale. Took me a while but got everything set up so that it works with my Controller and the mod that fixes the textures etc...

The most painful part of the whole process was trying to get Games for Windows Live to work. I've never had an account and had to set everything up from scratch. For some reason when I created the account it was not allowing me to log in with it from the games client and my gamertag was not what I set it to in the signup process(Was some weird name like PickupTable 87). Eventually got it to work but my god does it take a while to log into your account when you start the game. I get very impatient with this kinda stuff!

Is it possible to play this in an Offline Windows Live account or will the online features not work?

So went for the Bandit as I remember Strength being an important attribute for early game weapons. I'm gonna try and play to the first few firelink shrines without looking at a guide as I remember a lot of it from playing on the PS3 over a year ago.

Wish me luck and hopefully I will get a chance to invade some of your worlds soon!

Praise the Sun!

Yeah there can be issues with Games for Windows live with people setting it up for Dark Souls. I'd try google it as I know a mate of mine had the same issue and got it resolved, was a pain in the ass too. I hope they don't use GFWL for Dark Souls 2 on PC.

For the online features to work (summoning, invading & seeing orange soapstone messages) you have to be signed in online in Games for Windows Live.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Ya that's impression I got when setting it up. The thought of having to use GFWL to access the games already buggy network features does not instil me with confidence...

Ive read there is a mod that does something with the Pool of available IP's for the game to choose from when playing, might try and get that installed too.

As far as I'm aware I thought GFWL is not gonna be a "thing" for PC games anymore! Maybe it is just wishful thinking.

Went ahead and got the DLC last night, nice to have a bit of a challenge back in the gameplay, already been killed a few times by those things with the massive hammers in the Royal Woods

Finished my first playthrough the other night :pac:

The last boss was easily the worst thing about this great game, very disappointing :(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,139 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The last boss was easily the worst thing about this great game, very disappointing :(

You find him too easy?

I would have liked
    some sort of ending sequence to fill out the story a bit, felt very unrewarding considering the hours I put into the game

Yep the fight + ending(s) were very disappointing. If you haven't played the DLC, the Knight Artorias fight is way more satisfying and should have been what the end boss fight should be like.

Yeah when I passed through the fog at the end I was like
    oh is that him, when he fell I was expecting another phase for him to hulk up or something, was one of the few places in the game I went into blind. He didn't like fire one bit don't think I healed once, he just kind of plodded around and was very easy to fight head on until stamina was almost empty, roll away , recharge and back at him, having Solaire with me was a big help I'd say, distracting him with a sunlight spear that really f'd him up :D

I'd killed Dusk in my end game slaughter so screwed myself on the DLC on that play, as soon as I'd done it i realised my mistake.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

head into ng+ straight away, the dlc is great

Yep the fight + ending(s) were very disappointing. If you haven't played the DLC, the Knight Artorias fight is way more satisfying and should have been what the end boss fight should be like.

Fighting him at the moment, really fun fight though haven't come close to beating him yet. Thought he would be the final boss so was surprised to find him right after the Royal Woods

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭MOC88

I think most people went in to the last battle overpowered with very good armour or high speed stats. If you get their relatively low levels with no help he is a nightmare, I think his difficulty comes from the fact he will not give you a second to breathe and heal and can overpower you very quickly if you stand and fight. Personally once you can time his attacks they're easy to dodge but the length of the fight a t lower levels make it a marathon not a sprint as I imagine most people made it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭jaffusmax

Rather then dwell on the ending I think this game need to be taken as an overall experience. We are all used to movie style presentations in expecting a major climax near the end then an emotional send off.
    But this game like real life rarely gives you second chances and like real life the end result can leave you feeling underwhelmed but you want to dive right back in to experience all over again!

epicnamebro does a great series of videos fleshing out the backstory (or an interpretation of the backstory) on youtube

i also saw a series of comics that were very well done going through the history of the world and the game. ill try dig them out and link

i was pretty disappointed with the end too until I went and read up a lot on the overall world and stuff and it all kinda made a bit more sense.

http://thedcgamer.com/2013/07/25/the-history-of-dark-souls-by-deddan-on-rdarksouls/

massive spoilers obviously

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLWLedd0Zw3c5RCXboUsPwHsZJlXB2CzCz
    oh, it was vaatvida whatever
    epicnamebro's videos are pretty cool too though

Well 20 odd attempts later and I'm still fighting Artorias, had him down to about 3 or 4 more hits with all 10 estus flasks used when he finally got me. Easily the best boss fight in the game up to now, gonna be a nice feeling if I ever manage to take him down

Harps wrote: »
    Well 20 odd attempts later and I'm still fighting Artorias, had him down to about 3 or 4 more hits with all 10 estus flasks used when he finally got me. Easily the best boss fight in the game up to now, gonna be a nice feeling if I ever manage to take him down

Why only 10 estus :confused:

I didn't realise this until after i went to NG+ but the kindling carries over so if you max a fire you wont have to use humanity on it next play.

you only get up to 20 estus if you
    feed a boss soul to the lordvessel
    so he's probably doing the dlc before the boss fights

you only get up to 20 estus if you
    feed a boss soul to the lordvessel
    so he's probably doing the dlc before the boss fights

No you get 20 from
    the rite of kindling from pinwheel in the catacombs

hrm
    i normally stop playing before the catacombs as I dont enjoy the last few levels but i was pretty sure that anastasia whatever her name is
    kindled the firelink shrine bonfire to 20 when I dropped any old random boss soul into the lordvessel

but don't you have to go through
    the catacombs and kill pinwheel to get to Nito for his soul???? I know you can get to nito from the coffin but can you trigger the boss fight that way:confused:

• Advertisement

im pretty sure
    she'll kindle it for any boss soul

Advertisement