Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sugar Free

• 19-05-2015 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Looking at Alpen breakfast No Added Sugar that i would normaly buy has a whooping 7.2g of suger per 45g. i like alot of people would eat more then the 45g
    so i am having about 8 teaspoons at breakfast..
    Weetabix have 1.7g per 2 biscuits..

it getting me thinking about how much sugar is in my food..

so i am asking does anyone know of a good web site that tells you which food has very little sugar.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I don't know how anyone can be surprised by how much sugar is in that Alpen ****e considering how sweet it is! The milk left over from a bowl of that essentially tastes like regular milk with half a bag of sugar in it...euch!!!

To be honest I wouldn't get too hung up about sugar, just stick to fresh, non-processed food with natural sugars and you're good to go. As for breakfast, weetabix aren't so bad, porridge is better, I prefer eggs.

Alpen no added sugar doesn't have any added sugar so it presumably has ingredients which have naturally occurring sugars - raisins for example.

Myfitnesspal will give you a fair amount of nutritional information, assuming that people have entered info correctly, this will include sugars.

Honestly though, buying fresh food and avoiding packaged goods wherever possible is the best way to reduce your sugar intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

Yeah i uses the myfitnesspal once in a while

having used it in a while must start using it again. it comes in handy..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 74 ✭✭CaptainAhab

Just eat real unprocessed food and it shouldn't be hard to avoid sugar. Eggs are the best breakfast food out there IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭uberalex

Even the sort of healthy seeming Muesli and granola can be super high calorie and sugar. It's often in things like nuts clusters with maple syrup or honey to bind them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭Blacktie.

Since when is 7.2g considered a whopping amount!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Why are you interested in low sugar foods?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭groovyg

Op You would be better off making your own, just look at the ingredients in your average packet of muesli.
    Lidl have a good selection of nuts while Aldi are better for seeds and oats.

Slydice wrote: »
    Why are you interested in low sugar foods?

I feel that the food that i am currently taken in i feel are high in sugar then what they should really be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

You'll have to look at the labels and suss it out that way. I gave up sugar in Jan and its hard enough to find anything sugar free. I eat porridge for my breakfast now, no sugar and its much more filling than the cereal I used to eat.

• Advertisement

eviltwin wrote: »
    You'll have to look at the labels and suss it out that way. I gave up sugar in Jan and its hard enough to find anything sugar free. I eat porridge for my breakfast now, no sugar and its much more filling than the cereal I used to eat.

Thanks i need to start reading more labels..
    do you take milk with porridge ? as i see that it has "Natural" Sugar but still coming in at 9.2grams per 200ml

how much intake do you have of sugar a day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,654 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Thanks i need to start reading more labels..
    do you take milk with porridge ? as i see that it has "Natural" Sugar but still coming in at 9.2grams per 200ml

how much intake do you have of sugar a day

The limits/guidelines on sugar relate to added sugars. Not the likes of lactose that naturally occurs in milk.

Advertisement