Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Croke Park does tend to bring the best out in Down teams.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

seligehgit wrote: »
    Croke Park does tend to bring the best out in Down teams.:(

Well if Mayo are going to improve and be a real All Ireland candidate in the next few years then they should be dispatching average teams like down when it comes to the quarter-finals.

Wither Croke Park brings out the best in Down or not should not even be in the equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I've done a little preview of the match here if anybody is interested:

http://www.livegaelic.com/news/mayo-vs-down-all-ireland-preview/

Criticisms/comments appreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭Jaysoose

Well if Mayo are going to improve and be a real All Ireland candidate in the next few years then they should be dispatching average teams like down when it comes to the quarter-finals.

Wither Croke Park brings out the best in Down or not should not even be in the equation.

I've news for you but mayo are a distinctly average side aswell, this is a tight game for both teams and I wouldn't be surprised to see down win by a couple of points here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Jaysoose wrote: »
    I've news for you but mayo are a distinctly average side aswell, this is a tight game for both teams and I wouldn't be surprised to see down win by a couple of points here.

Yes, an average team that are ranked in the top 5 :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Yes, an average team that are ranked in the top 5 :rolleyes:

http://www.gaainfo.com/rankings/index.php

Mayo are probably the fifth best team around, but dear god that Hoganstand ranking is awful!

Whatever you cook it the gulf between the top four and teams like mayo and down is large enough that it all boils down to which team performs on the day.

Just hope its a good match.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Mayo are probably the fifth best team around, but dear god that Hoganstand ranking is awful!

You couldn't call it definitive but it has its uses :D
    Whatever you cook it the gulf between the top four and teams like mayo and down is large enough that it all boils down to which team performs on the day.

Just hope its a good match.

I wouldn't say the gulf is as large as you make it out to be. Mayo have beaten Dublin and Kerry this year and should have beaten Cork in the league (not in the final though). I wouldn't put Donegal ahead of us yet either. Mayo will not be an easy proposition for any team.

Indeed let's hope for a good game!

• Advertisement

You couldn't call it definitive but it has its uses :D

I wouldn't say the gulf is as large as you make it out to be. Mayo have beaten Dublin and Kerry this year and should have beaten Cork in the league (not in the final though). I wouldn't put Donegal ahead of us yet either. Mayo will not be an easy proposition for any team.

Indeed let's hope for a good game!

I admire your loyalty and optimism.

I admire your loyalty and optimism.

I'm not saying we're the best team around, far from it. However I don't think I'm being overly-optimistic when I say we are a decent outfit.

Anyway we've proven the naysayers wrong before and we'll do it again. There's plenty of precedent for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭SomethingElse

/waits for someone to walk him by the hand, through 2011, and into 2012

I'm not saying we're the best team around, far from it. However I don't think I'm being overly-optimistic when I say we are a decent outfit.

Anyway we've proven the naysayers wrong before and we'll do it again. There's plenty of precedent for it.

Fair points and mayo are definitely a decent unit, best of luck on saturday. I know what side im shouting for but at this stage its possibly the last winnable game for both mayo and down and i hope we get a good one.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You are mistaking my expectations for some sort of arrogance or cockyness

Mayo are a youngish team with a young manager in his second year.
    They are rebuilding from the debacle of Longford 2010 and the fairly barren years between 2006 and 2011
    Their win over Cork last year was a surprise and may have been helped by a very depleted Cork squad, but winning Connaught was a good first year achievement.

This year they won Connaught again and the natural progression would be to have another QF win and put up a good SF showing and better still win that.

Now on the road to that progression lie Down, a team that will not win the All Ireland but at the same time are a team that one would expect to be in a QF.

So if Mayo are to show me and others that they are on the up they have to beat Down, and no amount of intangibles like 'Down bring out their best in CP' should matter a hoot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,592 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Data from September 2010?. Anything more recent?.

Blackjack wrote: »
    Data from September 2010?. Anything more recent?.

here you go jack :cool:

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=174452

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

You'd be best advised to stop digging the hole now.

You didn't check that either then?

Syferus wrote: »
    You'd be best advised to stop digging the hole now.

Calm down your dragging this up for no reason you did see this post below. Its been done and put to bed so you'd be best not bothering.

"Fair points and mayo are definitely a decent unit, best of luck on saturday. I know what side im shouting for but at this stage its possibly the last winnable game for both mayo and down and i hope we get a good one."

• Advertisement

You didn't check that either then?

You did see what i done there didnt you?

Best of luck tommorow.

Best of luck tommorow.

Not sure I get what your point is in providing something from 2010 to try to make a point initially and then backtrack by bringing in some more recent ranking that contradict your original point, no.

Best of luck also.

Best of luck tommorow.

Not sure I get what your point is in providing something from 2010 to try to make a point initially and then backtrack by bringing in some more recent ranking that contradict your original point, no.

Best of luck also.
    when did i backtrack?

when did i backtrack?

First ranking

Second ranking

What would you call that if it's not backtracking?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

See you all in Croker!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

First ranking

Second ranking

What would you call that if it's not backtracking?

I've never seen backtracking defined as "providing additional, more up to date information that agrees less with your point" before.

keane2097 wrote: »
    I've never seen backtracking defined as "providing additional, more up to date information that agrees less with your point" before.

Nevermind....

Best team won today in the minor no doubt about it. Well done and best of luck in the rest of the championship :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Great work by the Mayo minors, they looked a good team having a hard time finding scores in the Connacht final but boy did they find the scores today! Hopefully we'll join you in the semis tomorrow and continue Connacht's consistency at underage.

• Advertisement

Well done mayo, beat what was in front of them ..down were woeful from start to finish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement