Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weird eating habits

Options
  • 07-05-2015 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi,

So, I could do with some advice please. I'm slim (not sure what I weigh, but between size 8-10 in jeans, 5 ft 4.5). I try to eat healthily, without depriving myself. So, I don't understand what could be causing me to binge eat in the evenings... And it's not really the quantity of food, it's that 'out of control' feeling I seem to get when I eat certain foods. Any suggestions how to prevent this? Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 anonimity

You may be deficient in some nutrients. Do you eat at a calorie deficit? Are you maintaining weight? What foods to you binge on - is there a trigger food? It could be a mental thing, though it may be physiological. You say you're slim - depending on your bodyfat, if underweight, your body will crave what it lacks. Do you eat enough carbohydrates? If you're actively avoiding certain foods you will be more likely to crave them - if they happen to be foods that your body actually needs then you will likely become drained and depleted. This very often happens with people who restrict carbohydrates. Glycogen stores need to be replenished - some people have planned 'refeeds / carb loading' sessions. Some just cave into binging on whatever they crave. I don't believe either are healthy and it's important to maintain overall balance, which will reduce the temptation... or need, as it may be, to binge.

The foods you eat are important. I assume 'pre-binge' you are hungry, so that could be something to address. Find foods that are more satiating, drink more water. Allow yourself to eat what you want, just plan in advance and know your portion sizes so you it's not a spontaneous thing. Use a plate / bowl. Anything that comes in a container / bag is dangerous - nuts are dangerous for me! Once the bag is opened... that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭helliwen

doglover89 wrote: »
    Hi,

I try to eat healthily, without depriving myself. So, I don't understand what could be causing me to binge eat in the evenings... And it's not really the quantity of food, it's that 'out of control' feeling I seem to get when I eat certain foods. Any suggestions how to prevent this? Thank you!

A couple of questions:
    What does eating healthily look like for you? Are you eating enough during the day?

Is there something else going on at the moment - like a lot of stress or "difficult" emotions? Is the binging more to do with emotional rather than physical hunger?

I had really bad phases of binge eating and bulimia and there were a lot of things going on in the background. When I wasn't binging, I was eating too little and restricting certain foods (I know you say you're not depriving yourself but maybe it's worth looking at the foods you binge on and whether you're denying yourself them otherwise). I also binged when I was having anxiety issues, when I had been pushing myself too hard, when it all became too much.

I think the only thing that will really help you is finding out WHY you're binging in the first place.

Strategies such as committing to going for a walk or calling a friend before taking the first bite, or not keeping certain foods in the house can help temporarily but I believe they're like using willpower to beat cravings - you can only hold out for so long before eventually giving in if you don't address the cause of the cravings.

I hope this helps. That out-of-control feeling around food really sucks.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭blatantrereg

Probably just hungry. This sort of thing is why people generally advise eating frequently even if you are trying to lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 doglover89

Wow, thank you all for taking the time to answer!!

Based on all your advice, I'm going to 'plan' my treats and always use a plate. Had a good few days but tonight was a disaster... :(

I'm so glad I remembered this thread, as it's a useful distraction so i don't stupidly try to compensate for the food.

Thanks again, tomorrow is a new day!!

Advertisement