Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A warning about registered Gas Installers

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭pleuraXeraphim

Lads. We got a Gas Boiler installed (still under warranty) a year ago in our new house. It was installed by an RGI installer/plumber and then certified for use. Boiler broke down a few weeks ago, once due to internal pipe in boiler not installed correctly and not long enough. The Boiler Supllier came out and fixed the issue.

Then it broke down a second time a week later (when our water froze) as there was apparently no proper non-return valve, so water escaped out and there was no pressure to run boiler. Even though this was supposed to be a closed circuit. At this stage there was no water in the pipes as it has been completely emptied.

When the boiler was repressurised 2 weeks ago, it apppeared that pipes internal to the boiler were cracked as water was escaping out through the boiler. The Boiler Supplier guy was saying it was because of the frost.
    Which I wonder about as there was nothing left in the system. And also if the boiler was working correctly in the first place then it wouldn't have frozen.

The Gas Boiler Supplier guy is saying that it was frost damage and not there issue so warranty is null and void. Installer is saying that the boiler was not even certified in first place. Does a Gas Boiler need 2 certs. Because we have a Gas Cert.

After 7 weeks of freezing cold we will now have to fork out €1000 to get a new boiler which is not our fault.

Surely either the supplier, the certifier or indeed the installer are liable.
    Does anyone have any advise ?
    Would appreciate this. Facing into no heating for Christmas :-(

Ask the manufactures for a report on what they feel the issues are, give a copy of the report to the RGI that fitted your boiler and give him a opportunity to do the right thing.

Every boiler must be fitted asper manufactures instructions and gas regs, it is the responsibility of the RGI to install to this standard, by being a RGI a installer is saying he/she fully understand how to fit a boiler to manufactures and gas regs required standard, if it's not fitted to the required standard then the RGI installer is liable. If the installer doesn't do the right thing then small claims court with a independent report and the manufactures report, good luck, Gary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 450 ✭✭Marcanthony

gary71 wrote: »
    Doing the sort of work i do i come in to contact with lots of installers and training schools, i know there are training schools with a 100% pass marks, my friend has just finished his GID, payed for by the government and he has no trade papers or a back ground in gas, i sat my GID last year and only 2 out of ten had a plumbing back ground and everyone passed even a fella who didn't understand the soundness test and why/what he was testing, also i was given the answers so i don't what that says about me, job seekers are given 100% funding for the courses.

As a gasman i feel knowledge and competents should be the requirements for working on gas, not the need for a job or because someone wants to give it a lash, i have dealt with a lot of emergency's in my time and i know how easy it is for things to go bang in the night and that's what make me concerned. Using plumbing fitting on gas is a bit of a silly, but luckily for one house holder this week i spotted it for them, Gary.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭saranac1

Covering my own backside is a given, as you know the buck stops with the last RGII on site, but to give you a insight in to what can happen, there is a small estate outside Dublin 30ish property's that had been commissioned by a Bord Gais agent, serviced by numerous Board Gais agents, what they didn't notice was the flame lift on the burners of the boilers on this site, i went there noticed the flame lift, investigated, found the boilers had been converted to open flued boilers and were taking combustion air from the utility which had no ventilation, but did have a extractor fan, the reason for the installer fitting the boilers like this was he had drilled his flue hole to small and couldn't get the correct flue in to the hole, so he found a smaller flue that was for exhaust gas only and opened up the boiler.

All this won't mean much to some, but to have a boiler with insufficient air for combustion can produce carbon monoxide and as the boilers were opened this can track back into the property. I shut down the boilers caused a fuss and because Board Gais had been responsible for the maintenance it was all sorted hush, hush between the installers and Board Gais, i personally have found it's my big mouth that gets a job sorted rather than the regs in place, so far anyway. Gary.

Gary do you do gas boiler service in Dublin 15 area?

saranac1 wrote: »

Unfortunately not but thanks for asking:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭scudo2

saranac1 wrote: »

I never realised Dublin has so many areas.
    We down here just have "The Peoples Republic Of Cork"
    Google it !

Sorry Garry, I'm interfering again, I promises I must stop, sometime !

• Registered Users Posts: 37 wally9

Sorry I don't mean to hijack your thread here and indeed have found it interesting even with my ignorance of the industry.
    My query is this,what sanctions ,if any can be taken against someone who is masquerading as an RGII registered installer , doing the work,handing out fake RGII cards etc.
    All responses appreciated.

wally9 wrote: »
    Sorry I don't mean to hijack your thread here and indeed have found it interesting even with my ignorance of the industry.
    My query is this,what sanctions ,if any can be taken against someone who is masquerading as an RGII registered installer , doing the work,handing out fake RGII cards etc.
    All responses appreciated.

If caught they get a fine of a couple of hundred €:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,734 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

If caught they get a fine of a couple of hundred €:mad:

Didn't some guy from Carlow get a good fine recently? Or Jail time?

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Didn't some guy from Carlow get a good fine recently? Or Jail time?

I don't know to be honest, it's normally a €500 fine but I'd like to see similar enforcement to the UK where a illegal installer was find £2,500 for fitting one boiler and another got 6 months in prison for fitting 3 boilers badly.

Legal installers who do bad work have it tuff too, a company got fined £13,000 for installing dangerous tumble dryers and the engineer maintaining the tumble dryers got fined £14,000.

How long would those who just shouldn't be working on gas last with the above level of enforcement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭dersawazzie

Having worked all my gas work in the UK, in general the customers were always asking if I was CORGI/GasSafe registered. Asking to see my card was a regular occurrence. I would go as far as to say it was prohibitive to get work without it, even people wanting private work done would still expect to see a reg number.

This didn't and doesn't stop the non reg guys from working but it was as important to me as anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

This is where the main difference is Awareness!

In the UK people are aware of Corgi or Gas Safe and that operatives should be carrying their ID cards with them to be able to produce them on demand. There is nothing on the RGII web-site or TV ads showing people what the card looks like or advising them to ask about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Stick to common sense and you'll be grand.

If the installer looks like a cowboy, they probably are.

If the price is too good to be true, it most certainly is.

Stick to installers that come recommended and have reputation , they have both for a reason.

Advertisement