Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Boards Golf Society - Tullamore Outing, 25th April

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Really enjoyed my second boards outing. Company was great from the big easy and sofireland. Course was fantastic. The big easy should easily have had more than his 34 points. Hits his iron shots really well. Won't be long till he is loosing shots.

Enjoyed the variety of holes and the greens were in great condition. Id possibly change the length of 1 of the one of the par 3's. Hit 6 iron to 4 of them yesterday. Prefer a bit more variance in length.

Thanks to seve and the rest for organising another good event. 3 balls was fantastic. Felt like the round of golf flew by.

Congrats to athlone on the great score which was never really going to be troubled by anyone else. Seems like our group were in the same boat as many others - just never holes any putts and can't blame the greens for that.

Happy enough with my own 35 points even though my back 9 was very disappointing. Still quite rusty. The obvious highlight of the round being my eagle 2 on the 8th. From thinking I was OB to getting a 2 was quite enjoyable :)

Would love to go to dundrum as its the nearest to me but I'll be thinking of yee while in Amsterdam!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,958 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Lads had to leave early.

Any general results. NTP
    2s

That pathetic drive hardly held out.

I'm very disappointed with our boomers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Another great day out with the boards crew & got to put some names to some new faces. Pity about the weather but we can't get away with sunshine at every boards outing.

Didn't shake off enough of the rust to put a score together but played enough good shots to keep me happy.

Have a driver back in my bag & hit some solid drives, but a few too many offline at the wrong times.

Hit good shots in to most of the par3s too but didn't manage to walk away with better than par on any of them.

Lag putting was very good but literally nothing from any range dropped for me.

The cold didn't help, couldn't really feel my fingers properly till about the 5/6th hole.

had the pleasure of the two cork boys for company who deserve some recognition for the miles they put in for this society.

Paulos is a model of consistency. I can only be envious of a person who can hit a controlled draw so easily. Single figures must certainly be on the cards for this year.

Recycled showed some flashes of brilliance out there. A little more consistency & could be a very good golfer. Scored a great birdie on the 15th (i think), four perfect shots.

The two lads were great company, so even if my golf left a lot a lot desired, the time passed very easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,064 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Lads had to leave early.

Any general results. NTP
    2s

That pathetic drive hardly held out.

I'm very disappointed with our boomers.

Busy day ahead do you'll have to wait till later on or maybe tomorrow before I get the full results up but the winners were

Athlone99
    Ballyk
    3putt
    FixdePitchmark

NP paulos
    LD FixdePitchmark

5 two's @ €12 each, Ballyk, FixdePitchmark, luckygent, bombedbiscuit and can't remember! Lol

Class win Paulos

Rikand was 5 feet and a bit. We didn't see that lose.

How close was it - Did you get the 2 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭paulos53

I was well outside 5 feet. In fact I was outside 5 metres. I guess the rain wiped Rikand's distance from the sheet?

If nobody else had a better shot that got wiped then I will pass on the prize to Rikand at the next outing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭3putt

Another great outing with the boards society . Still chasing the win, but it's never really about winning ,it's enjoying the great courses we get to play and the mad golf nuts we get to play with. Well done Athlone. Excellent score. Thanks to Benny and tony for the company. They didn't play their greatest today but you can see from some of their play that there's a lot better results to come. Played decent myself but could of been a bit better. Thanks to seve and the committee for organising another great outing. See yous in Dundrum

paulos53 wrote: »
    I was well outside 5 feet. In fact I was outside 5 metres. I guess the rain wiped Rikand's distance from the sheet?

If nobody else had a better shot that got wiped then I will pass on the prize to Rikand at the next outing :)

Yes it was 5 foot 2 (i think)

Yes the plastic it was in was a bit damaged.

Yes it was 5 foot 2 (i think)

Yes the plastic it was in was a bit damaged.

The sheet was nothing more than paper mache by the time I got to it.

I take it that is agreed so, I'll update the prize winner and paulos can pass on the prize?

BTW - I know it will not work all the time - and by the looks , most people are out for the day.

But the 3 balls were class - I think we got around in 3hr45m.

Just a great course. Love the slight changes of height all the way round.
    Very few bad holes on the course at all.
    And about 9 to 12 great holes.

I liked the par 3s - 8 iron, 6 iron, PW, 5 iron , 7 iron - Nice mix - well I do like the mid stuff.

Regarding the 3 balls it's down to the club really. I think the curragh have us out in 3's.

Liked the par 3's myself. 17 is a great hole, made better by the 6 I hit in to 12ft..... Missed the putt of course

Someone earlier fellt they were all to similar and long. I thought there was a reasonable mix also, the second looks longer than it is, think I hit 7, 6th I hit 6....but was a club to much, 9th was 9, 12th was 5 and 17th I hit 6, so nothing really long in there

Oh yea and Paulos had made a new sheet just for himself on a spare card :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,192 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Seve OB wrote: »
    Regarding the 3 balls it's down to the club really. I think the curragh have us out in 3's...

Curragh only allow 3's, we were there yesterday, HUGE points CSS was 39 off society tees FYI, great club house and course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭paulos53

Seve OB wrote: »
    Oh yea and Paulos had made a new sheet just for himself on a spare card :D

After failing with pencil, pen and marker on the original sheet ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,421 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Marker would have been a good idea. I should have used my sharpie to right the distance lol.

I can confirm it was 5 foot 2. I reckon I could have squeezed an extra 2 inches out of it too (thatswhatshesaid)

Still missed the putt tho lol :o

Rikand wrote: »
    Marker would have been a good idea. I should have used my sharpie to right the distance lol.

I can confirm it was 5 foot 2. I reckon I could have squeezed an extra 2 inches out of it too (thatswhatshesaid)

Imagine missing a putt :P:eek::(:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 760 ✭✭✭bobster453

paulos53 wrote: »

Rain must have wiped Fix's comment to all those following behind as well :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Rikand wrote: »

Need to get back to the short game practice thread ;)

Except for Athlone - who must have holed everything - Love the comment "first round i never lost a ball" :D

Was thinking there on drive back to Dublin after a mental, good weekend. Thank feck that wasn't the jug - we seem to be cursed in Tullamore. And in particular 18.

I went from almost having the best birdie in my life on 18 - to another awful 6 footer. Again - glad it wasn't Jug.

Was also thinking all our short games have fallen apart since the short game thread :D

I propose as preparation for Jug - when you hit a green at next outing - you don't hole out, you play par 27. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

After missing the first two individual outings of the year it was great to be able to attend yesterday's outing at a fine venue in Tullamore. Like princess poppy I couldn't get my satnav to work and thought I would never find the place given the very limited signs for the golf course around Tullamore. Apologies to my intended playing partners and the organisers for arriving late.

Having played crap on Friday with tigerwood my expectations were low going into the event so I was pleasantly surprised to start well, being 1 under after 2 holes and shooting 23 points on the front 9 (little did I realise I would need to shoot the same again on the back 9 in order to win) :D it all went downhill early in the back 9 as I shot 4 one pointers in a row after just missing my third birdie.

It was a great day out though, the course was impressive. It was playable but not too penal and in excellent shape. It was great to see such a good turnout despite the weather forecast and the round with macker1 and princess poppy was very enjoyable. Hopefully princess poppy won her match today to make up for her mechanical problems on the way home and macker1 played well in the first medal of the year today.

Congrats to athlone99 for his excellent round and win and thanks to the organisers for their usual efficiency in putting on the events. It's great to see the society going from strength to strength.

Looking forward to the next outing in Dundrum which is one of Munster's hidden gems.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭princess poppy

Hopefully princess poppy won her match today to make up for her mechanical problems on the way home and macker1 played well in the first medal of the year today.

Won my match 7 & 6 and then we got a 2nd win. Then the unwatchable happened - we lost three matches on nineteen. And my car is still sick !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭ballyk

Hopefully princess poppy won her match today to make up for her mechanical problems on the way home and macker1 played well in the first medal of the year today.

Won my match 7 & 6 and then we got a 2nd win. Then the unwatchable happened - we lost three matches on nineteen. And my car is still sick !!!

Congrats on your win, that's some going. It must have been heart-breaking to watch three matches being lost on the 19th though. Ouch. Hopefully the car gets well soon.

Here it is guys, the official result table. Once again, well done to all the winners and glad you all enjoyed it. Roll on Dundrum next :)

17262041326_308f22b892_c.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Great day of golf.
    Really enjoyed the course. And the two lads I was playing with were gents.
    Left a few shots out there. But happy with how I played overall.

Cheers Seve and all who played a part in a great day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

I got the last picky out Seve.

Many thanks to Seve and all who organised the day, shame about the weather for the start but we were dry at least for the back 9. I somehow managed to play the front 9 in 18 points despite not being able to hit the ball out of my way. I made up for that luck on the back 9 coming home with 11 points. I only 3 putted once, on the 18th which is a shame but unfortunately says an awful lot about the rest of my game.

I had a great day out with doublecross and newuser12345 and while the golf wasn't always spectacular it was good to be out on such a fantastic course.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,159 ✭✭✭benny79

I went from having the best round of my life 2 weeks ago to have 2 very poor ones and sat one was probably one of the worse although the weather didnt help or not usually bother me my golf shoes leak and my feet were soaked after the first hole! Playing with a bit of an injury which doesn't help think another lesson is on the cards.

Although another great day with great company!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Another great day for the Society on the lovely course of Tullamore Golf Club. Great numbers yet again, even though we had a few unfortunate withdrawals late on but we'll see ye again at the rest of the events.

Was great to witness a great round of golf, consistent from tee to green and when he was off line, to have the sense and head to play out and keep going - well done Athlone99.

I think i was expecting too much heading to Tullamore, a course i know well. I had my round planned out in my head for the last 2 weeks!! D'oh!! With my new irons in the bag i was feeling confident - too confident. With one thing and another i didn't get to hit them off grass until my second shot on the first hole in tullamore!! Big mistake. Two range sessions was all i had before that. Am not going to make excuses though, my game was terrible saturday. Driver was great on most holes but I struggled getting to the green. A new grip on my shortened putter (again first time to try it out was on practice green) left me struggling right from the word go and i 3 putted on nearly every green. Hit a run of 3 pars in a row on 6,7 & 8 and left my par putt on the 9th about 2" short - another 3 putt!! Then it was back to normal and terrible approach shots and even worse putting put all hopes of a decent score to bed.
    Still, was great to be out playing golf even if the weather wasn't great for a while, and again the crack was had with Shaunac93 and Athlone99. Couldn't possibly write some of the banter here!! We'd be locked up!!

Have only played one of the next 5 courses, maybe that will be a good thing, so expectations will be lower than before but full focus on Jug points is now a top priority!!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭athlone99

"Except for Athlone - who must have holed everything - Love the comment "first round i never lost a ball"

Its the truth Fix, honestly still on a high and in a bit of shock!!

Steve any chance of moving Dundrum to this Weekend?? :-D

Believe me athlone, Dundrum can't come quick enough. Am looking forward to that one as will be packing the wife and kids up and heading down early on Friday for the whole weekend of golf and relaxation. might even try sneak out for 9 holes on the Friday evening when we get the kids to bed :)

Charlie just mentioned all the drop outs there, 10 in the last 24 hours :eek:! While I totally understand and appreciate that things come up at the last minute to mess up our golfing plans, it would make things much easier, if you can please follow some guidelines.

I know some of you dropped me PM's, but to be honest it is much easier from an admin point of view to keep on top of things and as a courtesy to the others in the society, if you decline on Teamer and post a message to the relevant thread as soon as possible if you have to withdraw. We after all are a society built from the Forum and I think it is appropriate to interact with the group through the relevant threads.

In all serious though Lads and Ladies, a few last minute drop outs has never been a problem before, but ahead of last three events at the marquee courses, things will be much tighter. Please all be aware that we need to give these clubs confirmed numbers well in advance and there are severe penalties if those numbers drop. We really don't want to have to pay for guys who won't be playing...... because that will mean we all have to pay more, and none of us want that. So I would ask you to be considerate to the rest of the society and make sure you are available to attend before accepting.

Edit: this probably belongs in the main thread, so I'll stick it up over there later on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

An enjoyable outing with the Boards posse as always; even in full waterproofs :pac:

Second time playing Tullamore after the disappointment of the Jug. I must say it's one of my favourite parklands in Ireland, always well presented with great greens and a nice mix of challenging and scoreable holes.

Had a very enjoyable round with LuckyGent88 and sofireland, after I got over the initial disappointment not to be meeting Sofie; I may be slightly dyslexic :pac:

Played one of my better rounds on a Boards outing, hit my irons really well, just the driver and putter were not cooperating. 34 is the very least I could have scored. Kept turning two shots into three instead of vice versa, I know, don't we all :rolleyes:

Had one birdie on the 9th after a lovely lob wedge to about 8 feet. It didn't get me the honour on the next, however, as LuckyGent coolly rolled in a four footer for eagle, nice to see :eek: Even if he did hit a provisional :P:pac:

Well done to athlone99 on the massive score :) He didn't have a great day in Naas but I could see a big score in his future. Congrats to all the other winners as well and thanks to Seve and the committee as always for all their hard work in keeping the show on the road.

Don't know if I can make Dundrum yet, the closest event to Limerick but I'm not there that weekend :mad::( Ho hum, I'm so far gone, I'm sure I'll still make it :o:D