Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Clarke returns to Radio Nova

Options
  • 19-07-2015 11:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭

So it official. John Clakre is returning to Radio Nova next Sunday.

http://blog.nova.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I'll start tuning in to Solid Gold Sunday again, so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

I was hoping a man with his experience would get something higher profile like the 1-4pm Sunday slot on Today FM. Nova is a tinpot station

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

He's not "returning" as he never worked for this station.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,624 ✭✭✭Infoanon

bbability wrote: »
    So it official. John Clakre is returning to Radio Nova next Sunday.

http://blog.nova.ie

Wonder will Groucho allow JC to use the unedited version of his jingles ?? And how quickly will it take JC to say N.O.V.A ?

Now that he has retired from rte, it would be interesting if he did a tell all interview about his years as head of 2fm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭peterobrien100

Infoanon wrote: »
    Wonder will Groucho allow JC to use the unedited version of his jingles ?? And how quickly will it take JC to say N.O.V.A ?

Who the hell is Groucho ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Will Leahy is saying on Facebook that John is only taking the summer off and hopefully he will be back on RTE Gold

He would need to wire up the ITC cart machine for that.

Will Leahy is saying on Facebook that John is only taking the summer off and hopefully he will be back on RTE Gold

He has retired from RTE but may return to RTE Gold as a volunteer like Micky Mac

Who the hell is Groucho ?

Kevin Branigan aka Groucho100 - Nova CEO and programme Director.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Knowing Kevin he'll insist that JC does his entire show using only carts played on three three stack Sonifex units.

Knowing Kevin he'll insist that JC does his entire show using only carts played on three three stack Sonifex units.

If it was to be authentic it would be two ITC triple stacks.

I wonder is Nova the most suitable home in the bay broadcasting family for JC ? Wouldn't sunshine or 4fm be a better fit for his jukebox ?

I guess John will have to follow a playlist given like Mike Moloney does and the majority of presenters on nova.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »

Not forgetting the EMT 948 turntables - could go the whole hog and plug back in the original Nova optimod !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

He's not "returning" as he never worked for this station.

I think the reference is to the other "Radio Nova" from the 1980s. The same would apply to Greg Gaughren and Mike Maloney.

Thank you for that information Infoanon !

I guess John will have to follow a playlist given like Mike Moloney does and the majority of presenters on nova.

I would not think he would follow a play list as there seems to be a big media campaign to draw his listeners in so he will have a free reign, I would be more interested how his 60's stuff ala The Ronettes and Diana Ross etc.. will be played.

As regards Play list does MM have one ? It doesnt sound like it ? Dad Rock or Pat James certainly do not !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Exactly...he'll be just another very small voice....

I think the reference is to the other "Radio Nova" from the 1980s. The same would apply to Greg Gaughren and Mike Maloney.
    And if anybody had claimed that Mike or Greg had returned to Radio Nova, i would have made the same point.
    In fact i did make similar points back when this Nova launched and some parts of the media reported that Nova was back. :)
    It will be interesting listening non the less.

• Advertisement

I wonder is Nova the most suitable home in the bay broadcasting family for JC ? Wouldn't sunshine or 4fm be a better fit for his jukebox ?

JC playing Country music on Sunshine ????
    Oh wait, silly me........

4FM might be a good fit alright.

Wouldnt be surprised if the rules were waived , even just a bit, for John.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Not forgetting the EMT 948 turntables - could go the whole hog and plug back in the original Nova optimod !

Not forgetting the rumble those decks made. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

itc3d.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,003 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Nova has run with an oldies show on Sunday 10-2PM since it went on the air in 2010 and has struggled to make something really work in this time slot. As well, it's a slot that's long associated with oldies since the days of Sunshine 101 and Super Q; Wild Bill and the Bop Shop.

Sunshine has the Paddy Cole show on at the same time which performs well so you can't move his and JC would really sound out of sorts on 4FM, who run an oldies show of sorts on the same time slot.

If anything his show will be grand for the best performing station for the group.

Before we get carried away with all this Nostalgia about the original Nova, remember JC will only be on for one or a few shows and for the 1st time in 30 years will probably be told what songs to play and when, what to say and when.

He will be on around the same timeslot as Gareth O'C on 4FM in the same building... did they part each other in 2FM on good terms?

I had hoped John would have stayed in RTE past retirement. His influence on shaping the golden years of 2FM after Bill O'Donovan will be remembered for many years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

If it's the same John Clarke who paid the god awful Colm Hayes a 500k salary then gud riddance!

Before we get carried away with all this Nostalgia about the original Nova, remember JC will only be on for one or a few shows and for the 1st time in 30 years will probably be told what songs to play and when, what to say and when.

He will be on around the same timeslot as Gareth O'C on 4FM in the same building... did they part each other in 2FM on good terms?

I had hoped John would have stayed in RTE past retirement. His influence on shaping the golden years of 2FM after Bill O'Donovan will be remembered for many years to come.

JC would be perfect for filling in for Ronan Collins, John Creedon etc on Radio 1 but he didn't do himself any favours with all his on air rants after he lost his head of 2fm gig

Promos running now on Nova with JC saying N.O.V.A - Sunday could be interested listening for anoraks.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Looks like Rte are playing hardball with Nova and Clarke

http://www.thejournal.ie/radio-nova-rte-john-clarke-2235887-Jul2015/

Advertisement