Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are RTE paying Colm hayes so much money ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

L1011 wrote: »
    I suspect he's on significantly less now - that list released is for 2014.
    Oh, wait, it was Leahy that replaced Hayes, not Hayes Leahy -- I did mention that the two blurred together in my mind as one big hackneyed mediocrity! So yeah, that was for working fives shows a week rather than two, so adjust for how much and how fast that's reflected in RTE paypackets. i.e. judging by Finucane, "not very".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Sea Wolf

Probably not less now in 2016 (even though he is on weekends) as he or his agent must have great negotiation skills to have been on for presenting the drivetime show €170K !!!!

I'm kinda surprised that many RTE Radio broadcasters who had substantially more listeners than Hayes aren't in this list at all, No John Murray, Ronan Collins, Aine Lawlor or Mary Wilson.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 comegowithme

Colm along with the other more 'mature' weekenders will be saying a final goodbye to 2fm when their contracts expire later this year. I expect Larry to be the only one who survives the cull.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

What a disgusting waste of more than 2 million euro of licencing fees.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭liam7831

Its no wonder he didn't head of with [snip] when he left, wonder was Colm on a better contract due to his history with RTE, must av been.......?

He is probably fairly financially secure anyway living off royalties from this badboy.......

http://www.rte.ie/tv/homerun/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Sea Wolf

Colm along with the other more 'mature' weekenders will be saying a final goodbye to 2fm when their contracts expire later this year. I expect Larry to be the only one who survives the cull.

What about Fanning ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Pay packets are in general radio terms in this country very small in comparison to other countries. Colm Hayes take home pay in comparison to a weekend host on BBC is peanuts. I remember salaries were leaked to a newspaper a few years back and Sarah Cox for example was on £200k for two weekend slots. in general terms radio salaries here are poor. I would be more in favour of a better structure within the industry for wages but unfortunately that will never happen. it probably happens in newsrooms as the presenters/newsreaders are memebers of the NUJ. Presenters nowadays on the other hand are mainly contractors or submit there invoices through their companies/ or operate as sole traders. Picking out Colm Hayes is not going to solve the problem. Proper wages structures within the industry will but that will never happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

bbability wrote: »
    Pay packets are in general radio terms in this country very small in comparison to other countries. Colm Hayes take home pay in comparison to a weekend host on BBC is peanuts. I remember salaries were leaked to a newspaper a few years back and Sarah Cox for example was on £200k for two weekend slots. in general terms radio salaries here are poor. I would be more in favour of a better structure within the industry for wages but unfortunately that will never happen. it probably happens in newsrooms as the presenters/newsreaders are memebers of the NUJ. Presenters nowadays on the other hand are mainly contractors or submit there invoices through their companies/ or operate as sole traders. Picking out Colm Hayes is not going to solve the problem. Proper wages structures within the industry will but that will never happen.

Any comparisons with BBC should be based on audience figures and population. Cox's audience would be in the millions. Hayes' would be in the..... well.....

I caught about 5 mins of his show on Saturday morning - or maybe it was a repeat/compendium type thing. He played a sketch from Breakfast Republic which he said thrice (twice before and once after playing it) that he'd played it a few weeks ago and it was amazeballs etc. It was about "things that happen at Musical Societies in Ireland" (or something like that). My God it was painful. I didn't laugh once, not even a snigger. Hayes was building it up with the type of hype normally reserved for a Sky Sports Pundit talking about the feast of football that awaits as we tune in to Colchester V Hartlepool Seconds on a Tuesday morning from a training pitch somewhere.

Also the sketch itself was so British in tone it appeared like it had been "borrowed" from a previously done item somewhere. And since when do we have this amazing musical society culture in Ireland anyway? Surely that's a pretty niche topic for a sketch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

What about Fanning ?

It's absolutely soul destroying to Hear Larrys golden oldies as he plays Beyonce and Maroon 5.
    I doubt he will even survive the cull. Rte Gold the whole way.
    On a slightly different topic has anyone else noticed the general 2fm playlist has basically turned into one big electric disco, it's like Dan Healy thinks the youth of the country are so one dimensional that we all like dance/techno ****e.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

It's absolutely soul destroying to Hear Larrys golden oldies as he plays Beyonce and Maroon 5.
    I doubt he will even survive the cull. Rte Gold the whole way.
    On a slightly different topic has anyone else noticed the general 2fm playlist has basically turned into one big electric disco, it's like Dan Healy thinks the youth of the country are so one dimensional that we all like dance/techno ****e.

To be fair, RTE Gold is probably the best place for Larry, not the national youth station...

• Advertisement

Colm recently revealed on a podcast that in November 2006, a senior RTE figure came up to him at a gig in the point theatre and said to him, "whatever Fm104 are paying you, I'll triple it" and that's how he ended up on 2fm in March 2007 on a salary of 213k

• Registered Users Posts: 33,114 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

And they wonder why they are constantly running a huge debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

Jim Jim received a lot less, isn`t that why they fell out?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Leilak

do they still not talk?

Interestingly, Colm claimed that RTE weren't particularly pushed either way on Jim Jim joining and a deal with Jim Jim was only agreed last minute.

No they haven't spoken since summer 2010. Apart from the benefit to Colms bank account, that move to 2fm was a complete flop and very badly thought out. because they had to change all of their characters names etc on 2fm, their Dublin fans thought they sounded "too different" on 2fm and listeners outside Dublin didn't take to them at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

I feel we should be sceptical of 15 year-old recollections. But, regardless, surely he could have expected his salary at least to double in moving from a regional private station to the national broadcaster.

they must bump into each other around the dublin docks area, where Nova and FM104 are based close enough to each other

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭dudley72

Edit

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Deregos.

How much does Mairead Ronan get from 2 (edit) sorry Today FM?

She's a hard listen. Plyed her trade on the Ray Darcy school of broadcasting . . . Regretfully

Post edited by Deregos. on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,320 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Absolutely crazy money.

Is it any wonder RTÉ is drowning in debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Colm is not with Nova anymore - he's with Classic Hits. As you say, Mairead Ronan gets 0 from 2FM, because she is paid by Today FM!

I think the thread title needs to be changed to Why WERE RTE etc.!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

You do know the difference between CH and Nova is a flight of stairs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭plodder

Really? I can't think of any commercial business where there would be such a salary differential between two people doing the same job.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Hayes presented the most listened to show on FM104, which itself was the most listened to radio station in the Dublin market. His presence on Breakfast for over a decade was a prime reason for the stations success and it's recovery from near bankruptcy and closure in the early 1990's. He was also part of the station management and was with 104 for close to two decades. Prompt him and Nugent to leave and the station loses a big name show, two experienced presenters, a hole in their critical time slot, a chunk of it's audience and a brain drain as far as his corporate know how and 30 years experience of Irish Radio.

On those bases it follows that any rival would have to offer Hayes a lot of money to leave, and would be happy to do it too. Their being a national broadcaster had nothing to do with it here; it was as much about harming the competition as it was about gaining them. 2FM knew what they were at here, even if it didn't work out as well as it could have for them.

But that's another debate for another day 🤓

Will Leahy said the reason he believes that Colm and Jim Jim filled on 2fm is that RTE didn't spend any money on an outdoor marketing campaign in Dublin.

Advertisement