Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are RTE paying Colm hayes so much money ?

Options
  • 28-03-2013 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

His jnlr ratings on 2fm have never been anything to write home about. If he was let go from RTE tomorrow, i cant see him getting more than weekend cover work on Q102 if that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Does it really matter? 2FM is a lost cause. If the controller isn't sacked immediately and the reins given to someone who will give it an identity and a clear target audience which appeals to young people, 2FM should be disbanded. It is a complete and utter waste of licence fee payer's money. There is no talent on the station. Less than 5 of the presenters would probably get a job elsewhere and the JNLRs are shocking for the entire station, not just Hayes's show. It is a sorry excuse for a national radio station. Rant over.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Because if RTE didn't pay him the big bucks, he'd be snapped up by the competition over in the UK... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 33,114 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

... cos they have form.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

When these presenters get offered jobs in RTE it's like winning the lotto. They must easily double their salary from their jobs in other stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Prop Joe

I likes 2fm,Bar Tubbs, I listen daily to Hector,Larry,Rick & Leahy i occasionally will listen to Hayes but i think 2fm is on the way back,Plus they are looking to nick the Off The Ball listernship in the evenings

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭Stavro Mueller

I wonder is it a leftover from when 2FM brought him and Jim Jim in from FM104? That was reasonably high profile at the time. fred funk }{ did put his finger on the real issue though. It does look like getting into RTE is the Holy Grail of broadcasting and people often end up there after doing their time on TV3, local radio, perhaps TG4...

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kerriger

Prop Joe wrote: »
    I likes 2fm,Bar Tubbs
    Me too, listen most days up until early afternoon, Hector can be a good laugh most mornings and I like Hayes wit, some of his off the cuff remarks crack me up..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

The one and only answer to the OP's question is: Because he has a good agent.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Caledonman

alinton wrote: »
    The one and only answer to the OP's question is: Because he has a good agent.

A.

So true - I don't listen to him at all, he has little or no backbone when interviewing and the programme in general is weak. I would love to see Hector in this slot. I like him, but not at 7am...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

When these presenters get offered jobs in RTE it's like winning the lotto. They must easily double their salary from their jobs in other stations.

Makes Jim-Jim's decision to go back to 104 seem admirable, he probably could have stuck around there longer doing nothing but went back to do something he enjoys and is good at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

Jays lads its simple.

its not their money theyre giving him is it ?

its the populace's forced to under penality of prison

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭EazyD

I never watch/listen to RTE, I never plan to and the fact that people are forced to pay into the annual revenue of any state broadcaster through licence fees is farcical. Especially when it's as crap as RTE. Or Hayes/Tubs....

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

soc160 wrote: »
    Makes Jim-Jim's decision to go back to 104 seem admirable, he probably could have stuck around there longer doing nothing but went back to do something he enjoys and is good at.

He wasn't on anything like the same salary as his former Partner at RTE.

As was said above, Colm Hayes's agent seems to be doing an excellent job for him.

http://www.herald.ie/entertainment/around-town/colm-got-twice-my-pay-reveals-angry-jimjim-27994193.html
    Jim-Jim (39) said that he thought they had been offered similar salaries, however, he now claims that RTE paid him "a lot less than half" the wages his co-presenter was earning on the 2fm breakfast show.

"RTE gave me the impression that we were on very similar wages, but I was paid less significantly less," he said.

"Betrayal is a good word. Imagine you found out a colleague, exactly the same as yourself, was getting paid a lot more, it hurts."

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd be willing to let them pay him more, assuming he never tried to talk about a technology topic ever again. Because he manages to confuse the simplest things possible

• Registered Users Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭The Pontiac

I like the Colm Hayes show.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

People pretending to be animals on air. Can he get any more desperate for content?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I liked him when he was paired with JimJim but since going solo, he's really dull. Just shows who carried that partnership.
    I stopped listening to him months back.

All he says "it's what we want you to talk about, it's what we want you to talk about and it's what we all want to talk about" or something to that effect.
    Is that his catchphrase? Cos it's not very fcuking catchy.

In comparison, JimJim and Mark on FM104 are a tonic.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭eass82

From the herald article linked above:
    There was widespread surprise in the media industry when Hayes was the only newcomer to the top 10 best-paid list of RTE stars in 2009, with a salary of €213,954 that year.
    I thought this was just a bad dream i had but seems it was real - anyone remember colm and jim jims home run? Biggest crock of sh1te on rte since, well, ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colm_and_Jim-Jim%27s_Home_Run
    Guess thats what shot him into the big leagues in the pay stakes...

To be fair from what I've heard of him on 2fm he is ok, that time of the day he is grand for something you can have on in the background in the office or wherever. Hector would just be too much!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭John Joe Jones

I wonder how much of a pay cut (if any) he is getting going to weekends ?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Srobify

Hmmmm good point... Is he not doing "other projects" for rte apparently.

So prob no pay cut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I wonder how much of a pay cut (if any) he is getting going to weekends ?

Do you think Tubridy is going to get a pay cut for doing 5 hours less a week?
    Did Finucane take a pay cut when she went to weekends?
    If my memory serves me right she got a raise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,224 ✭✭✭alaimacerc

Apparently now a "top ten" earner as a whole, which must make him the highest-paid on R2 altogether. The mind truly boggles. I couldn't even work out who it was when they put up his photo on the news, had to google the list. Ah yes, thinks I, that unlistenably bad purveyor of the worst sort of generic, corny shyte, DJ-cliché blowhardery. Much like that other fellah they had on the drive-time slot before him, except not actually the same person.

Given that they're seemingly determined to make the station as crap as possible, couldn't they at least do it at a more reasonable price? Last show I was able to listen to was the O'Shea/Battle one -- hence the unfortunate experience of accidental exposure to the likes of Leahy and Hayes, due to being a little too slow with the channel or "off" button.

I suspect he's on significantly less now - that list released is for 2014.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭PeterTheEighth

have to say, off all the numbers that stood out on that list, I was most surprised at the figure for Colm Hayes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Yup, the top 10 list is here.

Top earning presenters in 2014

Ryan Tubridy (€495,000)
    Joe Duffy (€416,893)
    Marian Finucane (€295,000)
    Sean O’Rourke (€290,096)
    Miriam O’Callaghan (€280,445)
    Bryan Dobson (€195,816)
    George Lee (€179,031)
    Richard Crowley (€174,120)
    Colm Hayes (€169,992)
    Derek Mooney (€168,871)

Those amounts are eye watering. Tubs on €495,000, Marian Finucane and Miriam O'Callaghan on €295,000 and €280,000 respectively. And that's before we get onto Bryan Dobson on €195, 000 for reading from an autocue! I know he's not on radio, but I'm glad to see our licence fees being well spent. Not!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

TBH, the one I'd take most issue with there is Marian Finucane. €300k for two weekend shows? Taking the piss there.

At least you could argue that Tubridy is doing a radio show 5 days a week (at the time 2-3 hours on 2FM) plus one of the highest rated TV shows in the country, plus I would assume other work such as voiceovers and the like, so when juxtaposed with the likes of Finucane it's not that ridiculous...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭BarryD

wnolan1992 wrote: »
    At least you could argue that Tubridy is doing a radio show 5 days a week (at the time 2-3 hours on 2FM) plus one of the highest rated TV shows in the country, plus I would assume other work such as voiceovers and the like, so when juxtaposed with the likes of Finucane it's not that ridiculous...

You might argue that, except for this listener and many more I suspect - I just hit the off button where I hear Tubridy.....................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I think the shocking thing Finucane being on €437k in 2012 for the same 4 hours of radio as she does now and got over paid at €295k in 2014. Her producers do most of the work - which are paid by RTE !! Must be the most expensive radio at the weekends to produce in Ireland.

What a waste of space she is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Sea Wolf

Hayes has done very well financially from 2fm but his career hasn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

L1011 wrote: »
    I suspect he's on significantly less now - that list released is for 2014.

Probably not less now in 2016 (even though he is on weekends) as he or his agent must have great negotiation skills to have been on for presenting the drivetime show €170K !!!!

Advertisement