Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stingiest thing you've seen stingy people do

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭briantwin

i just thought of the ultra-stinge from where im from. He used to own a pretty busy shop but it sold all sorts, kind of like an 80's pound shop that sold groceries and cheap ceramic garden ornaments and other tacky crap. Anyway he was famous for selling out of date stock who's sell by date had been mysteriously covered or worn off the packaging.

Anyway 10 - 15 years later we're in a well known town in the midlands and we happen upon a shop. And its this fvcker in there, and he still has all the same stock with 2 small bikes i remember him trying to sell when he lived in Maynooth. Hahaha jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    ah but if everyone hates you you're unlikely to get invited to places where you have to spend money. it's all part of their master plan

I know someone JUST like this. Miserable.

I remember a Kris Krindle situation like that when I was in 4th class!! What kid do you know of that age would have it in them to be so scabby so young!!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Macers

I knew a fella who used to drive into a busy drive through in McDonalds. When he got to the first window he said sorry forgot my wallet and drove through to the 2nd hatch - the McDonalds staff would then give them the meal for the car behind them - all he had to do was hope they ordered big! Genius...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

Back in the aul college days, we stayed in diggs in First Year.
    The landlady was mean from day one, which we sensed but didn't fully realize until much later in the year.
    She wouldn't put the heat on in the house except for a small television room, so you would wake up with the cold in the mornings.
    The food she served up got worse and worse after a good start, and we noticed the milk being watered down for breakfast.
    The best ever was - you know when women put on lipstick, and they bite down on some tissue to remove the excess? This bitch had done this in the bathroom, but bit down on the last sheet of toilet roll paper and left it hanging on the end of the roll, so it could still be used!

Then there was a lad I knew of who went on a sun holiday one year. He got caught short one night and browned his trousers, so like a good fella, he puts the pants in a plastic bag on the balcony for the rest of the hols, and then brings them home to his ma to wash!

Then there is a fella I know. He wouldn't go to pubs - cos he didn't like the smoky air. So he would stay at home and drink cheap flagons. He would then head out just before 12 and get in free in the local club (cos it was free in before 12) and then drink free pints of tap water for the rest of the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

my house mate, made me pay half off the NTL downgrade fee, which is 10 euro. I found it pretty ridiculous considering i got taxi in and back to work to get it installed. Just feel stingy myself mentioning this sort of stuff so i dont bother.
    Enjoy that 5 euro, dope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I have a friend who is notorious...

1. In a pub he will always make sure to get his round of beer in before the nighclub and then will ask for vodka and red bull in the nightclub when it someone elses round and he has disappeared when its his roud but its usually too late in the night by that stage anyway.

2. His new trick is over the last few years is insisting on booking our ski trips and taking deposits etc..at the end of the trtip when it comes to the return of deposits he has tried repeatedly to con us out of returing them to the effect hs gets everything virtually free...so we keep on eye on him big time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I still remember the guy from co Lietrim who I worked alongside ( in Marly park co council dept to be pricise ;)) .It was a long walk down through the park ,about 2 miles to the main road and he would charge all the non car owners 50p to drop them off at the nearest bus stop . Man he was tight .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

i know someone who in the days of petrol attendants used to ask for minimum petrol say 1 pound or so. he'd talk to the guy filling and before ya know it.............ooops....sorry ive put in 1.50............ well, i'm afraid ive nothing else on me.....!

great thread.

My first year in college, I was living in an apartment with this guy.
    He had this blagger friend, who kept a mental database of the contents of his mates fridges at any given time.
    One day this army of people arrives back from a 5 aside on the green.
    This guy is red as a beet, shaking, covered in grass and blood and stinks like a buck goat from the sweat.
    It comes out that he has landed one of the other lads in hospital, thanks to a dodgy tackle.
    Tea is adminstered and after 20 minutes or so he is feeling human again.
    What do you think is the first thing that pops into his head once he is over the shock?
    The steaks going to waste in this lads fridge. "Sure he'll be laid up for at least a week and it would be an inhumane waste"
    And he flys out the door like a bullet, to try and convince this lads housemates to share the fridge booty.

latchyco wrote: »
    I still remember the guy from co Lietrim who I worked alongside ( in Marly park co council dept to be pricise ;)) .It was a long walk down through the park ,about 2 miles to the main road and he would charge all the non car owners 50p to drop them off at the nearest bus stop . Man he was tight .

Are you sure he wasn't from Carrigallan? That is practically Cavan you know!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,532 ✭✭✭veryangryman

These are fekin gas lads - keep em coming...

There is a women I work with who uses one teabag a day to make 3 cups of tea. She makes 3 cups of tea at the same time and drink them individually throughout the day even though 2 of them are stone cold...it looks like cups of milky water...

This happens everyday including an hour ago...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭bman

The putting money towards petrol is an interesting one. At what point does the journey become long enough that your passenger should contribute something towards it?

I've done runs from Galway to Dublin before and my passenger wouldn't think of paying towards it. One lad actually said when we got back to Galway once "You're not expecting me to pay something towards this surely??". I hadn't mentioned it.

Btw, I never ask my passengers for money towards a trip, unless I really don't like them. But I'd be pissed off at them if they didn't offer to at least buy you a pint or something after a long (2+ hour) trip.

I and some other work mates were doing some repair work in an office once and we had to remove a fridge so we put all the contents of the fridge on the side .Imagine our shock and surprise when we noticed all these pen marks across the sides of the milk bottle/containers , to make sure nobody was consuming the wrong persons milk .We thought it hilarious but imagined how horrible it must be to work in an office like that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Ya should've added some more into them and that would've confused everybody!

Ya should've added some more into them and that would've confused everybody!
    He He :D

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭garrincha62

Mate of mine has a puncher at work. He punches in the holes on his loyalty card to get a free coffee...

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

Grand uncle is a multi-millionaire with property everywhere, but still drives a 16 year old banger.
    Made his wife stay at work til retirement age so he could get on her health insurance.

Stinginess/greed is a disease. Best thread ever OP!

Mate of mine has a puncher at work. He punches in the holes on his loyalty card to get a free coffee...
    Blackmail him and tell him you want some freebies .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

some classis stories here, cant think of any to beat them offhand as my head is wrecked at work, but there are some stories i just know i have to remember!

one lad at work, a total idiot from france, went to the pub after work on his own a few weeks ago on pay day, with €2.20 and asked the bar man for €2.20 worth of alcohol. bar man looked at him and said ill give you a packet of pringles and laughed. you man stood at the bar, hopping the 2 coins off the counter til the barman roared at him " take your €2.20 and get the f*ck out of my pub you stingy c*nt".

• Advertisement

Sure isnt being stingy and tight fisted all the fashion now for 2009...??:)

I find that teachers are the stingiest people I have ever come across..anyone else found that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

When my dad worked in a bar he once served a guy who paid for his pint with a cheque!

I also know a person who buys second hand for their kids at christmas from ebay. I dont mean in perfect condition from ebay- absolutely second hand and a bit banged up! His arguement was that his kids wouldnt appreciate them. Of course they dont appreciate them-its second hand crap!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Once recently one of my friends went searching for Bus Refunds from old tickets left on the bus. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tomred1

Thats not stingy, its genius.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ninkynonk

he refused to drive any where for lunch and always got people to get it for him. half the time he'd avoid paying the full price of the lunch by making sure what he got cost more than 5uro, he'd then hand over the 5euro- and say "i owe you 20 cent" no body was botherd to chase him for it.

one time a guy was leaving the job so we went to lunch. at the end of the meal (which cost 10euro) he turned to the person in charge of petty cash and said "is this a work related lunch and do we have to pay" que cringe from everyone esle. the petty cash guy looked to the boss and the boss said "ok" the petty cash guy had no money so the boss paid by lazer. very awkward 10 minutes waiting for the bill. :eek:

Another time he found 5 euro on the ground in the office and when someone annouced "did any one find money today?" he jsut wouldnt lift his head from his desk.

he drove the most run down pieces of sh!t even though he was minted

• Registered Users Posts: 28,813 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Wow.. you waited 3 months after registering to post that. Well done.. you must really hate that guy!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

one lad at work, a total idiot from france, went to the pub after work on his own a few weeks ago on pay day, with €2.20 and asked the bar man for €2.20 worth of alcohol. bar man looked at him and said ill give you a packet of pringles and laughed. you man stood at the bar, hopping the 2 coins off the counter til the barman roared at him " take your €2.20 and get the f*ck out of my pub you stingy c*nt".

Seeing as how in some English pubs €2.20 would get you two pints or a G&T and crisps it's more like the Irish pubs who are being stingy. And the French guy just wasn't willing to accept the extortionate prices in Irish pubs.

JD Wetherspoon to cut price of a pint to 99p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

Biggins wrote: »
    My mother is law is so stingy I have barred her from our home.

Among many, many things, when my wife was young, the mother was so stingy, the daughter (and her sisters) had to spend her babysitting money in order to buy food to feed herself weekly.
    The mother would NEVER buy toys for the kids, only give them what was donated or shared.
    The mother was and still is so stingy that (after I had words with her) for the wifes birthday she actually went and bought a €9.99 doll for her birthday. A cheap plastic doll.
    She never buys Christmas cards, Birthday cards (or presents), never buys anything to keep her home clean, never cleans (I refuse to let my kids enter her home), never buys anything of a personal hygiene nature, I could go on...

Where is her husband? For many years he was in the army and was away a lot. When he came home - he saw how things were and stayed away from there too (and who could blame him!).

When the wife moved out of home and moved in with me, the mother turned up at our door a week later and asked the daughter if she would still be handing up part of her weekly wage to the mother!
    I won't repeat the words of expression I used to the mother in law, I'll leave that to your imagination.
    She tried begging for money too after that - I had just two words for her each time.

You want to meet a stingy person, I'll introduce you to one of the scummiest best (or worst - depending on perspectives).

The day she dies, I'll spit on her grave and sing "Hallelujah".

PI Forum is that way -> , in fairness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I know of a guy (friend of a friend) that constantly keeps his eyes trained on the ground when out walking in case he spots dropped money.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

Wow.. you waited 3 months after registering to post that. Well done.. you must really hate that guy!

Wow, you cross reference post counts with join dates of people? Well done... you must really have nothing better to do :pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement