Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW M3 Vs. Nissan Skyline GTR V-SPEC

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

JHMEG wrote: »
    Skyline is an out and out sportscar.

The M3 is started life as a family saloon, had two doors deleted, big engine and hard suspension added.

Exactly!
    You'll also find that car mags rave about the GTR also!
    I'd have more respect for someone in a Skyline than I would for someone in an M3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Plug wrote: »
    The M3 is bu
    Plug, I'm guesing you don't have a car because you're too young to have a licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Plug, I'm guesing you don't have a car because you're too young to have a licence?

Ah, that would explain the decidely childish comments in other threads.

As the unspoken rules of being a passenger go, "No license, no right to speech".

• Registered Users Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Skyline is an out and out sportscar.

The M3 is started life as a family saloon, had two doors deleted, big engine and hard suspension added.

From a bit of googling M3 does the 'ring in 8:22, R34 GTR in 7:52.

you'll find thats exactly how the skyline started out, the e46 m3 bears as much resemblance to a 318ci as the skyline does to one of its lesser brothers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Cyrus wrote: »
    you'll find thats exactly how the skyline started out, the e46 m3 bears as much resemblance to a 318ci as the skyline does to one of its lesser brothers

Give it a rest man, the first R32 skyline on the market was the GTR, it was built from the ground up like that, the gtst and gts came afterwards in 2 and 4 door varients to satisfy the demand for the car from people who couldn't afford/want a GTR. The M3 on the other hand is derived from the 3 series saloon via the coupe and even though it has loads of new parts its design is restricted by the shell it came from.

Nobody in their right mind would question the ability of the skyline over the M3 on the road purely from a performance point of view, even a biased bmw driver can see that. Anyway the lap times speak for themselves.

The M3 is undoubtedly the easier car to live with, its comfier and classier looking. Still though if I had a choice between the two as a weekend car it'd be then skyline any day of the week, its just so much more fun to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Give it a rest man, the first R32 skyline on the market was the GTR, it was built from the ground up like that, the gtst and gts came afterwards in 2 and 4 door varients to satisfy the demand for the car from people who couldn't afford/want a GTR. The M3 on the other hand is derived from the 3 series saloon via the coupe and even though it has loads of new parts its design is restricted by the shell it came from.

Nobody in their right mind would question the ability of the skyline over the M3 on the road purely from a performance point of view, even a biased bmw driver can see that. Anyway the lap times speak for themselves.

The M3 is undoubtedly the easier car to live with, its comfier and classier looking. Still though if I had a choice between the two as a weekend car it'd be then skyline any day of the week, its just so much more fun to drive.

The R32 was built to dominate a racing series over in Japan wasn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

cpoh1 wrote: »

yeah, really, go on tell us...... how about this then:

The HCR32 Skyline debuted in May 1989. It was available as either a 2-door coupe or 4-door sedan/saloon, all other bodystyles were dropped. It featured several versions of the RB-series straight-6 engines, which had improved heads (the twelve port inlet was gone) and used the ECCS (Electronically Concentrated Control System) injection system. Also available were an 1800 cc 4 cylinder GXi model. Most models had HICAS four wheel steering, with the rear wheels being hydraulically linked to the front steering. The 2.5 litre version became one of the first cars made in Japan to feature a 5 speed automatic transmission. The GTS-t Type M included larger five-stud 16 in wheels, four piston front callipers and twin piston rears. ABS was optional (except for the GT-R), viscous LSD was standard on all turbo models and optional on all but the GXi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

Thanks guys. Great info there!
    Just gotta do a wee bit of mulling over and some test driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Sorry to BUMP an old thread.

I'm quite sure the skyline was a normal car that Nissan made into a sports car, just like bmw with the 3series and M3. The new GTR is how ever designed/built from the ground up to be what it is today.

As for which i would choose, i think I'd go for the M3. I've wanted a M3 for as long as they make them.

skyline_history_01.jpg

Thats a skyline btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

jozi wrote: »
    I'm quite sure the skyline was a normal car that Nissan made into a sports car, just like bmw with the 3series and M3.
    It was correctly stated earlier in the thread that the R32 was the first that was built as a sports car, and laterally had "lesser" models based on it. M3 is the opposite, in that it started as a "lesser" model (eg 316) and was then beefed up.

• Advertisement

Why is everyone bangin on about performance he lives in cork city ffs

M3 all the way

Right, I saw this a while ago and didn't have time to answer.

WTF is your fecking problem 'boinkmaster', what the hell does
    where I live have to do with what car I might purchase?

Try not to be a bloody twat boinkmaster, there's a good lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Dasilva94 wrote: »
    Right, I saw this a while ago and didn't have time to answer.

WTF is your fecking problem 'boinkmaster', what the hell does
    where I live have to do with what car I might purchase?

Try not to be a bloody twat boinkmaster, there's a good lad.

In boinkmasters defence Dasilva, I think he may have been merely pointing out that you live in an Irish city (quite a hilly one at that :)), and not in Germany with access to Autobahns and the like. That there isn't really any need for the excess performance one car has over the other, and so on. Again, that is what i 'think' he meant.

IMO, even though the GTR is one mean looking car, and no doubt an absolute thrill to ride, if I were in your shoes I'd probably lean towards the M3. But then again I'm a bit of an Audi fan so if i had your bucks i'd be purchasing either an RS4 or an S5 with all the trimmings.

Fizman wrote: »
    In boinkmasters defence Dasilva, I think he may have been merely pointing out that you live in an Irish city (quite a hilly one at that :)), and not in Germany with access to Autobahns and the like. That there isn't really any need for the excess performance one car has over the other, and so on. Again, that is what i 'think' he meant.

IMO, even though the GTR is one mean looking car, and no doubt an absolute thrill to ride, if I were in your shoes I'd probably lean towards the M3. But then again I'm a bit of an Audi fan so if i had your bucks i'd be purchasing either an RS4 or an S5 with all the trimmings.

Fair point point Fizman.

I must get some Pollyfilla to cover up the Corkonian chip on my shoulder. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 752 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn!

Look there two completely different cars that have pros and cons.

If you want a tunable track motor the r34 gtr v-spec is for you.

If you like your creature comforts the BMW.

At the end of the day unless you track your car which one is faster than the other doesn't matter. It comes down to personal choice.

Go to both get a good test drive. Though with these cars the person selling probably wont let you drive them yourself. Just make sure you get a long drive over variable surfaces and speed bumps.

The skyline depending on of its modified or how its modified could be a completely different car to live with.

I don't know much about the M3s but i do know skyline ECU does not have a lean cruise mode so tends to be thirsty even on motorway miles. But if your buying either this is probably not an issue.

Also the GTR is on an English plate which i cant believe no one pointed out so that may add additional cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,865 ✭✭✭Soarer

I think Mallow Road Motors had a very good day on Wednesday April 9th, as they sold both cars on that day!:eek:

Coincidence??:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

so what car did you get ?

Advertisement