Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

BMW M3 Vs. Nissan Skyline GTR V-SPEC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,974 ✭✭✭mick.fr

Not really 2 cars we usually compare although the Nissan has outstanding performances. Weird configuration for the Nissan though V8 engine with a 2.5l cc.
    I am more a bimmer's guy myself and for me the Nissan does not look as sexy as a E46 M3.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

M3, lighter & handles better. Yea the skyline has more overall grip but thats not what I'm getting at.

Two very different cars tho, its a pretty personal choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

mick.fr wrote: »
    Weird configuration for the Nissan though V8 engine with a 2.5l cc.

The Skyline GT-R's engine is a 2.6L twin-turbo straight six. The car is AWD as well, which may influence your decision.

This M3 by the way has been for sale for months now...

Stephen wrote: »
    The Skyline GT-R's engine is a 2.6L twin-turbo straight six. The car is AWD as well, which may influence your decision.

Yes exactly I wanted to make sure you guys were following :-)

Kidding you right got the wrong information from a crap website.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

The Japanese have a name for the R34 GTR: Godzilla.. What do the Germans call the M3.. "der M3"? zzzz! There really is no comparison.

Stock the Skyline would trounce the M3 in all real life situations, and is a close match to the Honda NSX-R. Take it to the 'ring and watch it blow M3s into the weeds.

The Skyline was also built to be very easily modified, and for a few quid you could have yourself 1000bhp.

It's also one of few Japanese cars that looks Japanese. The designers were told that it would be the pride of Japan and to make it look Japanese. To me it looks menacing!

I was looking late last year at a 550whp UK-spec '02 GTR R34, but unfortunately didn't have €55 grand to spare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭S.I.R

i'd pick neither , both are the most un-desireable models of there ranges... gimme a R32 or a e30 any day :)

JHMEG wrote: »
    The Japanese have a name for the R34 GTR: Godzilla.. What do the Germans call the M3.. "der M3"? zzzz! There really is no comparison.

Stock the Skyline would trounce the M3 in all real life situations, and is a close match to the Honda NSX-R. Take it to the 'ring and watch it blow M3s into the weeds.

The Skyline was also built to be very easily modified, and for a few quid you could have yourself 1000bhp.

It's also one of few Japanese cars that looks Japanese. The designers were told that it would be the pride of Japan and to make it look Japanese. To me it looks menacing!

I was looking late last year at a 550whp UK-spec '02 GTR R34, but unfortunately didn't have €55 grand to spare.

one word , lmao , you honestly dont have a clue because to get to 1000 hp ( with nitrous ) your looking at 20,000 basic. You cant insure it and the skyline is pretty rubbish on cuircuts ( or my exp with mondello anyways )

sure you can hit 400 hp straight away by chipping it and pushing the boost up 0.5 psi but then you need anti lag , then you need more power so you get forged pistons and cams then you need even more so you buy some Gready T-66's and you think " s*** im only at 600 hjp , need some naws " you add some and hit 800 hp.... but by then you can mod it anymore unless your rich like bertie ahern or the hutch.

in short - keep watching the fast and the furious movies kid :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

Yeah but what would the insurance be after you do the 1000bhp mod, unless you're able to could keep it stock, until you get to the Nürburgring Norddschleife track, or some nomal track?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 136 ✭✭Dasilva94

I'm thinking the Golf R32 4WD, might not be too bad car either.

This video gives a good view of the car, with flipper shift.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gbtRi02ukQ

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

The M3 is built with alot more quality than that ship of a thing. I'd pick an M3 over that any day. Someone said tuning the skyline. Put a supercharger in the M3 for €7000 grand and there you have 500hp+ under the bonnet and it can still handle. Its an m3 with an ESS supercharger that has the nurburgring record and its road legal and you dont have to pour water on the intercooler each time you go over 170mph:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

Plug wrote: »
    Its an m3 with an ESS supercharger that has the nurburgring record

What record is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭joedumper

Really not meaning to offend anyone...........

but there are some very mixed up "facts" being thrown around here :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

joedumper wrote: »
    Really not meaning to offend anyone...........

but there are some very mixed up "facts" being thrown around here :p

Amen to that!

The skyline is RWD in everyday use, the front wheels only kick in when traction is lost at the back through an electronically controlled system nissan called ATTESA-ETS.

Its light years ahead of the M3 from a performance point of view but as an everyday car the M3 would be my choice because of its creature comforts. But give me a choice between my car and an M3 for a blast down a backroad and I know what id be in.

Someone mentioned the skyline was rubbish on circuits because theyve had "experience" of them at mondello, mondello is little more than a glorified go kart track! The skyline has proved over the years on real tracks what its capable of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

I love M3's, but I'd take the R34 GTR any day and twice on Sunday! I'd like the V-Spec II though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭fabsoul

If i had the choice of the two cars it would be the M3 easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,868 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

a stock 280bhp r34 will trounce an m3, how pray tell?

What record is that?
    Quickest around the track for a production car. Bet zonda's, ferrari's, the whole lot:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Cyrus wrote: »
    a stock 280bhp r34 will trounce an m3, how pray tell?

Why pray tell by driving it like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaxRPgzkqXc

Ill save you the hassle of watching it, the V-SPEC II laps the Tsubka circuit in japan a full 5 seconds quicker than the m3 over 3 laps. Why the evo7, impreza, nsx and carrera are all faster than the M3.

Its 4 wheel drive, the jap will have the upper hand. A golf R32 is quicker than an m3 around the top gear track becasue it is 4 wheel drive and also the golf has about 100hp less.
    If that track had to be like sukuka track in japan the m3 would have been up front near the porshe.

Now an M3 csl, well thats a different storey:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,868 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

cpoh1 wrote: »
    Why pray tell by driving it like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaxRPgzkqXc

Ill save you the hassle of watching it, the V-SPEC II laps the Tsubka circuit in japan a full 5 seconds quicker than the m3 over 3 laps. Why the evo7, impreza, nsx and carrera are all faster than the M3.

on that particular track, im sure theres a german track somewhere that an m3 will beat a stock gtr convincingly ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

on that particular track, im sure theres a german track somewhere that an m3 will beat a stock gtr convincingly ;)
    The M3 gets around the Nurbuergring in the same time as the Skyline GT-R(it is the R32 though, which is a fairly old one IIRC) according to Wikipedia, and the CSL is faster than the R33(no time for the R34).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

THE track of tracks happens to be German, and it's the Nordschliffe (spelling might be a bit off!).
    The R33 GTR was the first production car ever to lap it in under 8 minutes. The M3 can't do that. (E46). The R34 is quicker again.
    Also, Nissan UK reckon the R34 will comfortably and reliably take 400bhp if it's been done professionally!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭golfdiva

i'd have the skyline .. the holy grail for most car lovers

I think it would be much more user friendly getting all that power down on a day to day basis

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭conneem-TT

BMW would be a more comfortable car(especially against V spec suspension), with a nicer interior, and stock vs stock it would also have better straight line performance.

However the Skyline has great tuning potential.

I never really take notice of track times for cars, as a certain track may suit one car better than another, also conditions can be different for the recorded times.

For example, my 200hp FWD TT is about half a second quicker round the topgear track than an E46 M3, but would be murdered by it in any other instance.

You will probably get a few more "boy racer" dirty looks in the Skyline also :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Does it really matter which is faster? Id be asking, which will put a bigger smile on your face. Both cars have more than ample performance for Irish roads and track days. Id take the M3 because all magazines rave about it. Id reckon the running cost would be higher and to maintain residuals, you'll really have to keep the service history ship shape, for when it comes to sell it on. Power oversteer should come easier if you really wanted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,974 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Why is everyone bangin on about performance he lives in cork city ffs

M3 all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

The M3 all the way!!! A car you can drive normally and when your feeling brave you put the foot down! Skyline is too 'boy racery' for me personally, No offence to any Skyline drivers!!!

Re above commert: surely the holy grail for car lovers wouldn't be a soleless jap car!?! how about a Ferarri/Porsche/Aston anyone!?

S.I.R wrote: »
    sure you can hit 400 hp straight away by chipping it and pushing the boost up 0.5 psi but then you need anti lag , then you need more power so you get forged pistons and cams then you need even more so you buy some Gready T-66's and you think " s*** im only at 600 hjp , need some naws " you add some and hit 800 hp.... but by then you can mod it anymore unless your rich like bertie ahern or the hutch.
    LOL! And you're real name is Vin Diesel and you just KNOW these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

The youngfella in me says GTR all the way.

The emerging old person says you cant look past something with an M3, M5 or M6 badge.

Then again what do old people know, buy a GTR, keep an eye out for an M3 in a few years time.

• Advertisement

Skyline is an out and out sportscar.

The M3 is started life as a family saloon, had two doors deleted, big engine and hard suspension added.

From a bit of googling M3 does the 'ring in 8:22, R34 GTR in 7:52.

Advertisement