Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pokémon Alpha Sapphire & Omega Ruby - Spoilers inside

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Hey guys,

Curious question; how easy is it to do a full living Pokedex nowadays with a copy of X and Ruby? Would imagine there's a LOT I'd need to trade for, and probably a few legendaries that would be pretty hard to get, and I'd probably bore of it pretty quick, but curious :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

It's certainly doable. The GTS is very helpful for getting some stuff that'd be version exclusive, I think the main issues would be getting things like Victini and Keldeo which were Gen V events, and haven't been released as Gen VI ones.

I think I've got Victini but not the other guy.

Found a spreadsheet for the Living Pokedex, so it'll keep me amused for a while anyway :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 160 ✭✭beaner09

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Hey guys,

Curious question; how easy is it to do a full living Pokedex nowadays with a copy of X and Ruby? Would imagine there's a LOT I'd need to trade for, and probably a few legendaries that would be pretty hard to get, and I'd probably bore of it pretty quick, but curious :)

Was fairly easy for me to do it with X (and a few Pokés from Platinum and Black), so with OR/AS too it's very doable! Although it can be time consuming.

I avoided the boredom side of it by doing the GTS trading in between gyms, dragged out the story and helped with the Dex! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

It's easy to do if you're willing to hack the game. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Completed the dex tonight, so I now have the lucky charm :D Soft resetting for a shiny Kyurem now, after that I might attempt to breed a shiny Deino.

Angron wrote: »
    Completed the dex tonight, so I now have the lucky charm :D Soft resetting for a shiny Kyurem now, after that I might attempt to breed a shiny Deino.

Shiny Charm was so random for me, at one point I got 2 shiny Tropius in the space of 15 eggs, then went like 1,000 with nothing!

Worked great with hordes though, unfortunately it was usually in the horde I wasn't using for EV training!

It was late, so I quit on the SRing after 115 tries, gonna go back later after I do some battles in the Maison to earn some BP. There's a few shinies I'd really like, Hydreigon would be near the top of that list, as well as Onix (for shiny Steelix), Cyndaquil (cause I have the two other Johto starters in shiny), and Houndour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

It was late, so I quit on the SRing after 115 tries, gonna go back later after I do some battles in the Maison to earn some BP. There's a few shinies I'd really like, Hydreigon would be near the top of that list, as well as Onix (for shiny Steelix), Cyndaquil (cause I have the two other Johto starters in shiny), and Houndour.

Black and white 2 gives you a shiny dragonite egg amd i think the other version gives you the hydregion shiny

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Black and white 2 gives you a shiny dragonite egg amd i think the other version gives you the hydregion shiny

I have a shiny event hydreigon from my jap black cart you're welcome to
    (I have cloned the crap out of it but its legit, from a WiFi wondercard. I think.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Wobbuffet

You get a Shiny Dratini in White 2 or a Shiny Gible in Black 2 for defeating the Black City/White Forest. There was also a Shiny Haxorus for completing the Pokedex. I think a Shiny Hydreigon was given away once as part of a Japanese movie event.

Banjo wrote: »
    I have a shiny event hydreigon from my jap black cart you're welcome to
    (I have cloned the crap out of it but its legit, from a WiFi wondercard. I think.)
    Nah, but thanks. I'm hoping to get my own to make it a bit more special to me :P

Those B2/W2 shinies were very disappointing, cause they evolve into something with either awful colour (Dragonite), or a barely noticeable difference (Garchomp).

Just a heads-up, Samurott is now available through Mystery Gift with the code POKEMON503.

In Japan, there's an Arceus event from the 7th of March - which (I think) leaves Mew, Shaymin, Meloetta and Manaphy as the only Pokémon left that can't have the blue pentagon (legally).

• Registered Users Posts: 42 sharmander

beaner09 wrote: »
    In Japan, there's an Arceus event from the 7th of March - which (I think) leaves Mew, Shaymin, Meloetta and Manaphy as the only Pokémon left that can't have the blue pentagon (legally).

Now to see if they have a similar event here, and of course to see if they actually include Ireland...

sharmander wrote: »
    Now to see if they have a similar event here, and of course to see if they actually include Ireland...

All but nailed on not for here, and small chance for the rest of the world... as usual :( I can clone the Japanese ones for people when they come out though!

There was also a Shiny Rayquaza event in Japan (can't remember if it was mentioned), only legit way to get a shiny Gen 6 Rayquaza!

Also a reminder to everyone, Sheer Force Feraligatr from Bank on Friday!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

Excluding legendaries, what goes good on the GTS these days? All my XY reliables are seemingly ignored. Even for low Pokémon like Caterpie.

Sinnoh Pokémon I'm guessing?

I was able to rake in any non-legend I wanted with Ekans for some reason. The longest I waited was around 25 minutes for the trade to get picked up.

HA Gen 2 starters are available from Bank now, although they aren't in cherish balls and don't have a special OT - so they aren't special themselves, just means the HA's are now legal!

Dunno if many of you would use it, but there's a game on the Pokémon Global Link where you can get a couple of rare berries like the Rowap and Jacoba berries. Spent fecking ages getting the Rowap, but now I'm working on planting fields of rare berries for my WTs :D

• Advertisement

Where the freaking hell do you get the Destiny Knot? Everything seems to say different. Does anyone know for sure?

Easiest spot, to be honest, is Lumiose City in XY. I think the only spot in ORAS is from a couple in Sea Mauville who aren't guaranteed to give one out.

First ever legit shiney meeting. Not chaining anything. Just out and about and run into one.

It was a Zigazoon :(

First ever legit shiney meeting. Not chaining anything. Just out and about and run into one.

It was a Zigazoon :(

Mine was Caterpie back in Gold. Didn't know what the fcuk it was :pac:

Not including the Gyarados, mine was a Sandshrew back in Gold. One of my old housemates was telling me her first was Gligar. It was also the first one she saw, so she thought the second one that was a different colour was the actual shiny :pac:

I think my only wild encounter with a shiny was a Zubat in Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald (I'm not sure which one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I forget my first wild encounter but it was before i knew what shiney was. I killed its ass good! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

Havnt seen one or caught one in game yet :(

I have bad pokemon luck :D

The first shiny I saw wasn't until X, and it was a Poliwhirl which I kncoked it out because it used Belly Drum before my attack, so my weakening move accidently knocked it out!

I got 2 more Poliwhirls within 30 minutes after though so all good! ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Got my first ever wild shiny encounter tonight through chain fishing. Only took 15 or so years.....

3DB97F9C-0E77-4974-8D21-CA75E079C129_zpspnurdyiv.jpg

Did some chain fishing again today and came across this guy.

224FA674-5BB3-4508-B323-B2170610D10D_zpsaafxpbhu.jpg

Wonder Trade is so awesome in this game, or at least, people are.

Right, I still get Zigazoons and Wurmples, but this afternoon, I got a major boost to my Pokdex with Squirtle, Ghastly, Skiddo, Shellder, Bagon and Feebas. Not sure how many are easily available in game, but it's awesome to be picking up some decent Pokemon compared to the dross I used to get last time I played :D spending ages flipping things.

Yeah, sometimes you can get amazing stuff. There was an event in Japan recently that had shiny Arceus. In the past 3 days I've gotten two of them on WT :D

compared to the dross I used to get last time I played :D spending ages flipping

If you like getting good stuff, don't flip bad stuff. Take the hit and take it out of the system. One man's flip is another man's crap WT.

Hypocrite? Moi?

Oi tend to put back in what I don't need; Pokemon with no evolutions or ones I already have. I only do dross if that's what the previous person sent me.

Ooh. Cyndaquil, one of the fossil pokemon....and a shiney Horsey with Pokerus. Never had the virus before. shiney Horsey is really not that different than normal one :P

• Advertisement

Oi tend to put back in what I don't need; Pokemon with no evolutions or ones I already have. I only do dross if that's what the previous person sent me.

Ooh. Cyndaquil, one of the fossil pokemon....and a shiney Horsey with Pokerus. Never had the virus before. shiney Horsey is really not that different than normal one :P
    Shiny Kingdra is pink though!

And yeah, I breed a lot, so the stuff I put on WT is often 4-5 IVs, or they'll have egg moves. I get a lot of rubbish, but anything that I really don't think would be worth it I'll just release. Now I do flip some stuff, but it's usually egg move or bred stuff that I already have.

I'll usually try send out random uncommon stuff that maybe people won't have like ekans or meowth or other ones people wouldn't think of. I do flip sometimes though. I sent out some phiones as well which I think is ok.

Yeah, Phione seems like a cool enough one to send. Recently I sent out loads of 5IV Pawniards with Sucker Punch, and a lot of them holding rare enough berries.

I often have leftover clones of my BR Pokés when I'm moving them between games - I was in the process of WTing a box of them when someone else sent me a shiny 6IV Virizion - I was like "I'm trying to help other people and I get this" :P so I just re WT'ed it! ha

Yeah, sometimes you can get amazing stuff. There was an event in Japan recently that had shiny Arceus. In the past 3 days I've gotten two of them on WT :D

Pity they had to have the event ribbon removed in order to be WTed!

I'm also pissed that the one you get with Powersaves has an English name instead of Japanese, making it obvious its fake! :(

• Advertisement

Was gonna ask if anyone ever gets the legendaries on GTS for the useless Pokemon they list...but for a laugh last night, I threw up a Farfetch'd and asked for a Yveltal...low and behold, woke up this morning to find I now own a Yveltal :pac:

Quick question; the blue pentagon is a hack check, yeah? I notice a tonne of the guys I traded up from B/W via the bank don't actually have one :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Not G.R

Was gonna ask if anyone ever gets the legendaries on GTS for the useless Pokemon they list...but for a laugh last night, I threw up a Farfetch'd and asked for a Yveltal...low and behold, woke up this morning to find I now own a Yveltal :pac:

Quick question; the blue pentagon is a hack check, yeah? I notice a tonne of the guys I traded up from B/W via the bank don't actually have one :confused:

No, the blue pentagon just means it was caught in X/Y or OR/AS

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mikey1357

I loved the original Pokemon games on the gameboy and have yet to play Pokemon X/Y. Should I give the new games a miss or are they worth playing ?

I'd reckon them to be worth it, however if you've not played any since the gameboy days then you'll find a lot of stuff has changed.

I'd reckon them to be worth it, however if you've not played any since the gameboy days then you'll find a lot of stuff has changed.

That's an understatement. It's like a completely different game now. Anyone who hasn't played since RBY is going to get a real shock when they try one of the 6th Gen games. If you can, go back and play one of RBY for even an hour or two, then put in one of the newer games and look at the difference. It's incredible really.

I'd recommend X or Y first in any case. A lot of familiar Pokémon early on which will help with the transition. For my money, they are also the most fun games to date but far from the most difficult. Pretty much a perfect point to jump back in.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    That's an understatement. It's like a completely different game now. Anyone who hasn't played since RBY is going to get a real shock when they try one of the 6th Gen games. If you can, go back and play one of RBY for even an hour or two, then put in one of the newer games and look at the difference. It's incredible really.

I'd recommend X or Y first in any case. A lot of familiar Pokémon early on which will help with the transition. For my money, they are also the most fun games to date but far from the most difficult. Pretty much a perfect point to jump back in.
    True, it is an understatement, but I was typing on a broken smart phone screen so I wasn't really capable of great eloquence at the time :pac:

If you're willing to fork out the ridiculous prices, maybe try heart gold/soul silver. You'll be familiar with the regions and a lot of the Pokemon but it includes a lot of the updated mechanics like natures. X & Y is also a good place to start and you'll be up to date on the series.

Got a secret base that popped up today with a guy cheating pretty hard. Level 100 Gengar, it was already mega evolved when it was sent out, and holding an Air Balloon :pac:

Well, I suppose Blissey Bases don't boost your Pokedex numbers.

Got a secret base that popped up today with a guy cheating pretty hard. Level 100 Gengar, it was already mega evolved when it was sent out, and holding an Air Balloon :pac:

The joys of Powersaves... like my male permanent Mega Kangaskhan named Single Dad :p I don't use mine though I just made it male for breeding purposes and thought of the joke! ha

• Advertisement
Advertisement