Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MacBeth

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Would never have even considered Natalie Portman as Lady MacBeth. She has some skills though, so she might pull it off, but I can't really imagine her in the role right now. Could have totally imagined someone like Tilda Swinton in that role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I dont really find Portman to be an interesting actress, her performances are very dry, boring, lacking in passion.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I think she's far too soft looking and soft sounding for that matter to pull this one off. I'm not saying Lady MacBeth was a dog or anything but I think she needs to be the kind of person that you can totally understand a man being manipulated and controlled by. I can't see Portman doing that.

I've nothing against her, and I liked quite a few of her earlier films but I think she's that "manic pixie dream girl" type actress who fits into a certain niche. I know she went mental in Black Swan but I wasn't overly impressed with that to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Amy Adams could have done it: she already played a mean Lady Macbeth in The Master. :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Dua Lipa, Billie Eilish (x2), Oasis

Amy Adams could have done it: she already played a mean Lady Macbeth in The Master. :D

Jennifer Lawrence is playing a Lady MacBeth type in Serena, an adaptation of the novel by Ron Rash. Not suggesting her for the actual role, but I imagine there'll be quite a few other actresses that people will be saying have already played similar characters and would be better suited. Portman's going to have her work cut out for her, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Not much Fassbender couldn't do, but gotta share the sentiments of others here that Natalie Portman seems a strange choice for Lady Macbeth.

I could see Rebecca Hall doing a decent job, she's awfully attractive, but at the same time can look like she's got a screw loose (one or two emotional breakdowns in The Prestige come to mind)

I could see Rebecca Hall doing a decent job, she's awfully attractive, but at the same time can look like she's got a screw loose (one or two emotional breakdowns in The Prestige come to mind)

... or when she's all unsettled in The Awakening. Good suggestion.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Jessica Chastain anyone?

They better cast Patrick Stewart as the king.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Your one who plays Cersei Lannister would do a good job of playing Lady Macbeth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I think she's far too soft looking and soft sounding for that matter to pull this one off.

Yes, she would have to somehow act differently to the way she acted in other movies to play this part, not sure an actress is what you need for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I think this could be a very interesting casting choice. Lady Macbeth is manipulative but that doesn't lead to say that she has to be hard or anything. She is ambitious & it's that ambition that drives her to have the ability to do certain things. Once she has them, the ambition goes and her conscience takes over. Could be good to have someone who can play the mental breakdown well and show a different way of Macbeth being under the control of his wife.

Why not the Scottish Goddess herself, Kelly Macdonald?! :D

I think this could be a very interesting casting choice. Lady Macbeth is manipulative but that doesn't lead to say that she has to be hard or anything. She is ambitious & it's that ambition that drives her to have the ability to do certain things. Once she has them, the ambition goes and her conscience takes over. Could be good to have someone who can play the mental breakdown well and show a different way of Macbeth being under the control of his wife.

That almost sounds like a repeat of the Black Swan character.

Bearing in mind that this is being set in the 11th century with the language intact, I just don't buy Natalie Portman in the role. Something about her is far to contemporary. Maybe she'll surprise us all. Though I do remember her getting absolutely horrible reviews for her attempt at Shakespeare before when she did Shakespeare in the Park.

Will they be doing Scottish accents?

Yes, she would have to somehow act differently to the way she acted in other movies to play this part, not sure an actress is what you need for that.

Yes, very clever. I went on to say that I know she played a different type of character in Black Swan but I personally was not that impressed with her in it. I've seen a fair few Natalie Portman films and she's not usually all that different from one film to the next, which makes me question her ability to actually "act differently to the way she acted in other movies".

Bearing in mind that this is being set in the 11th century with the language intact, I just don't buy Natalie Portman in the role. Something about her is far to contemporary. Maybe she'll surprise us all. Though I do remember her getting absolutely horrible reviews for her attempt at Shakespeare before when she did Shakespeare in the Park.

Will they be doing Scottish accents?

Is it being set in the 11th century though? They're calling it an "update" but does that just mean it's a new version of the story, as in an update since the last film, or are they bringing it forward in time and making it more modern?

Is it being set in the 11th century though? They're calling it an "update" but does that just mean it's a new version of the story, as in an update since the last film, or are they bringing it forward in time and making it more modern?

Well, that's what it says in the link you posted - "set in the 11th century and in the original lanugage". :P

Well, that's what it says in the link you posted - "set in the 11th century and in the original lanugage". :P

I know but it also calls it a "new take" and an "update" so I got confused :o

I know but it also calls it a "new take" and an "update" so I got confused :o

Yeah, I'm not sure why they used the word "update" if it's still going to be set in the 11th century and with Shakespearean language. A "new take" might be referring to the fact that they said they're going for a "visceral experience" with lots of battle scenes and such. A new interpretation of the play that is different from the other screen adaptations and stage adaptations. I'm excited about this even if I would much rather Tilda Swinton in the Lady Macbeth role. The only reason I can think of for having Natalie Portman in the role is that they might be going for the two levels type personality - sickly sweet and perfect on the outside, and dark and manipulative underneath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,495 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Rachel Weisz or Charlize Theron would also be good as Lady Macbeth

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Rachel Weisz or Charlize Theron would also be good as Lady Macbeth

I loved all the interviews Theron did with Fassy while promoting Prometheus, so just to have more of them I'd have been fine with her being cast.

It is still quite early days though, as far as I can tell they're taking the script to Cannes to try and get more backing so it could still change. If you look at that Jane Got A Gun project that Portman is working on, it's changed cast and director a few times, and right up until the first day of filming too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As a great fictional director once said, it's an extraordinarily difficult play to stage effectively.

Unusual casting. One to watch.

• Advertisement

Anyone who has seen Robin Wright on House of Cards and Vera Farmiga on Bates Motel, they would also be great as Lady Macbeth

Portman is a very capable actress no doubt but she seems too young imo to play the role

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

As a great fictional director once said, it's an extraordinarily difficult play to stage effectively.

Unusual casting. One to watch.

I think the 2010/2011 version of MacBeth is the best I've seen with Patrick Stewart. MacBeth is almost a Stalin like figure which makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

matTNT wrote: »
    I think the 2010/2011 version of MacBeth is the best I've seen with Patrick Stewart. MacBeth is almost a Stalin like figure which makes sense.

I think I seen that one... Stewart was fantastic in it.

UPDATE

Portman out, Marion Cotillard in! :)

This article implies that Portman was only being considered for the role but it seemed like she had been cast a few months ago. Either way I'm much more interested in this project now. Excellent casting, I think :)

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/marion-cotillard-to-play-lady-macbeth-opposite-michael-fassbender-8777904.html

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

She was stunning in La Vie En Rose. Not so much in her final scene in The Dark Knight Rises. :P Very good choice though.

She's also very good in a film called Love Me If You Dare, or "Jeux d'enfants" where she's maybe a bit mental at times. Not quite as evil as Lady MacBeth but I have to say I'm very excited about this now.

Cotillard was superb in Rust and Bone too.
    Very happy with this.

macbeth_1-620x412.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

They reading the play verbatim or updating the dialogue?

I think it said they were using "the original language", whether that means text or just how they would have spoke back then, not sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

I dont really find Portman to be an interesting actress, her performances are very dry, boring, lacking in passion.

ditto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Thought she was brilliant in Brothers

Film 4 had a little presentation in Cannes today where they showed lots of stuff that they have in production at the moment. Some stuff from MacBeth was shown and it's getting very positive feedback. Obviously it's far too early to read anything into that but it sounds very exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

It's pretty hard to mess up Shakespeare, I'm hoping this is good. Polanski's MacBeth will be hard to top, but here's hoping.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Radiosonde

catallus wrote: »
    It's pretty hard to mess up Shakespeare, I'm hoping this is good. Polanski's MacBeth will be hard to top, but here's hoping.

It's incredibly easy to mess up Shakespeare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Not looking forward to this, have never really liked modern takes on Shakespearean works, there have been one or two exceptions maybe. All in all, I loved the play, I liked one of the screen adaptions of it and if the reviews are positive Ill give it a shot, but I wish they would leave well enough alone sometimes

I'm looking forward to it. I'm always excited to see new interpretations of Shakespeare. Sure, if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, but I'm interested to see what they'll do with it. I'm glad they're sticking with the original language. I think that is integral to staging/filmling Shakespeare. That's where the true artistry and vision lies.

kryogen wrote: »
    Not looking forward to this, have never really liked modern takes on Shakespearean works, there have been one or two exceptions maybe. All in all, I loved the play, I liked one of the screen adaptions of it and if the reviews are positive Ill give it a shot, but I wish they would leave well enough alone sometimes

It's not a modern take, unless by that you mean made in 2014. It's set in the original setting and time and uses the original language.

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Right Turn Clyde

I can't follow Shakespeare in the original English. I enjoy reading about his plays and what all the various themes are, and I particularly enjoy films that reinterpret his major works, like Kurosawa's Throne of Blood and Ran. But I don't like hearing the words being spoken. I find them too ornate and incredibly boring. I really hope this version scraps them. There, I said it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,031 ✭✭✭✭bnt

If you happen to get the Sky Arts channels, keep an eye out for plays as presented in the Globe Theatre. The dialogue makes more sense when spoken with the proper actions and emphasis, instead of dry text on a page. See also this:

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Site Banned Posts: 40 shooterjay

Your one who plays Cersei Lannister would do a good job of playing Lady Macbeth.

yes, good choice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I can't believe that the same team and cast that are in friggin MacBeth are going on to film Assassin's Creed this September.

Its going to be incredible.

Official Clips:

(In case anyone's wondering, the tall lady at 0:18 is Elizabeth Debicki (The Great Gatsby, The Man from U.N.C.L.E.) as Lady MacDuff.)

— Kingsley Amis

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I for one, was looking forward to the milking of the Shakespearean Cinematic Universe (SCU) and the crossovers, except I realized that's impossible because everybody would be dead by the end of their standalone films.

Sure, that would be true of the Tragedies, but I don't believe anyone died in A Midsummer Night's Dream or The Taming of the Shrew.

The latter was adapted in to a teen comedy, 10 Things I Hate About You, starring Heath Ledger and Julia Stiles: some time after the film, he turned in to The Joker and died, while she got mixed up with Jason Bourne. I wonder what Shakespeare would make of that ..?

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Hard to form any real expectation based on that trailer.
    It looks pretty much like they took a play and stuck a budget on it.

I guess you can't really expect much more from a movie based on Shakespeare's work (Baz Lurhmann notwithstanding)

• Advertisement
Advertisement