Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MacBeth

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Da Shins Kelly

Would never have even considered Natalie Portman as Lady MacBeth. She has some skills though, so she might pull it off, but I can't really imagine her in the role right now. Could have totally imagined someone like Tilda Swinton in that role.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

I dont really find Portman to be an interesting actress, her performances are very dry, boring, lacking in passion.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I think she's far too soft looking and soft sounding for that matter to pull this one off. I'm not saying Lady MacBeth was a dog or anything but I think she needs to be the kind of person that you can totally understand a man being manipulated and controlled by. I can't see Portman doing that.

I've nothing against her, and I liked quite a few of her earlier films but I think she's that "manic pixie dream girl" type actress who fits into a certain niche. I know she went mental in Black Swan but I wasn't overly impressed with that to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,689 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Amy Adams could have done it: she already played a mean Lady Macbeth in The Master. :D

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

Amy Adams could have done it: she already played a mean Lady Macbeth in The Master. :D

Jennifer Lawrence is playing a Lady MacBeth type in Serena, an adaptation of the novel by Ron Rash. Not suggesting her for the actual role, but I imagine there'll be quite a few other actresses that people will be saying have already played similar characters and would be better suited. Portman's going to have her work cut out for her, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭FortuneChip

Not much Fassbender couldn't do, but gotta share the sentiments of others here that Natalie Portman seems a strange choice for Lady Macbeth.

I could see Rebecca Hall doing a decent job, she's awfully attractive, but at the same time can look like she's got a screw loose (one or two emotional breakdowns in The Prestige come to mind)

I could see Rebecca Hall doing a decent job, she's awfully attractive, but at the same time can look like she's got a screw loose (one or two emotional breakdowns in The Prestige come to mind)

... or when she's all unsettled in The Awakening. Good suggestion.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Jessica Chastain anyone?

They better cast Patrick Stewart as the king.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Your one who plays Cersei Lannister would do a good job of playing Lady Macbeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I think she's far too soft looking and soft sounding for that matter to pull this one off.

Yes, she would have to somehow act differently to the way she acted in other movies to play this part, not sure an actress is what you need for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I think this could be a very interesting casting choice. Lady Macbeth is manipulative but that doesn't lead to say that she has to be hard or anything. She is ambitious & it's that ambition that drives her to have the ability to do certain things. Once she has them, the ambition goes and her conscience takes over. Could be good to have someone who can play the mental breakdown well and show a different way of Macbeth being under the control of his wife.

Why not the Scottish Goddess herself, Kelly Macdonald?! :D

I think this could be a very interesting casting choice. Lady Macbeth is manipulative but that doesn't lead to say that she has to be hard or anything. She is ambitious & it's that ambition that drives her to have the ability to do certain things. Once she has them, the ambition goes and her conscience takes over. Could be good to have someone who can play the mental breakdown well and show a different way of Macbeth being under the control of his wife.

That almost sounds like a repeat of the Black Swan character.

Bearing in mind that this is being set in the 11th century with the language intact, I just don't buy Natalie Portman in the role. Something about her is far to contemporary. Maybe she'll surprise us all. Though I do remember her getting absolutely horrible reviews for her attempt at Shakespeare before when she did Shakespeare in the Park.

Will they be doing Scottish accents?

Yes, she would have to somehow act differently to the way she acted in other movies to play this part, not sure an actress is what you need for that.

Yes, very clever. I went on to say that I know she played a different type of character in Black Swan but I personally was not that impressed with her in it. I've seen a fair few Natalie Portman films and she's not usually all that different from one film to the next, which makes me question her ability to actually "act differently to the way she acted in other movies".

Bearing in mind that this is being set in the 11th century with the language intact, I just don't buy Natalie Portman in the role. Something about her is far to contemporary. Maybe she'll surprise us all. Though I do remember her getting absolutely horrible reviews for her attempt at Shakespeare before when she did Shakespeare in the Park.

Will they be doing Scottish accents?

Is it being set in the 11th century though? They're calling it an "update" but does that just mean it's a new version of the story, as in an update since the last film, or are they bringing it forward in time and making it more modern?

Is it being set in the 11th century though? They're calling it an "update" but does that just mean it's a new version of the story, as in an update since the last film, or are they bringing it forward in time and making it more modern?

Well, that's what it says in the link you posted - "set in the 11th century and in the original lanugage". :P

Well, that's what it says in the link you posted - "set in the 11th century and in the original lanugage". :P

I know but it also calls it a "new take" and an "update" so I got confused :o

I know but it also calls it a "new take" and an "update" so I got confused :o

Yeah, I'm not sure why they used the word "update" if it's still going to be set in the 11th century and with Shakespearean language. A "new take" might be referring to the fact that they said they're going for a "visceral experience" with lots of battle scenes and such. A new interpretation of the play that is different from the other screen adaptations and stage adaptations. I'm excited about this even if I would much rather Tilda Swinton in the Lady Macbeth role. The only reason I can think of for having Natalie Portman in the role is that they might be going for the two levels type personality - sickly sweet and perfect on the outside, and dark and manipulative underneath.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,560 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Rachel Weisz or Charlize Theron would also be good as Lady Macbeth

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Rachel Weisz or Charlize Theron would also be good as Lady Macbeth

I loved all the interviews Theron did with Fassy while promoting Prometheus, so just to have more of them I'd have been fine with her being cast.

It is still quite early days though, as far as I can tell they're taking the script to Cannes to try and get more backing so it could still change. If you look at that Jane Got A Gun project that Portman is working on, it's changed cast and director a few times, and right up until the first day of filming too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As a great fictional director once said, it's an extraordinarily difficult play to stage effectively.

Unusual casting. One to watch.

• Advertisement

Anyone who has seen Robin Wright on House of Cards and Vera Farmiga on Bates Motel, they would also be great as Lady Macbeth

Portman is a very capable actress no doubt but she seems too young imo to play the role

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭matTNT

As a great fictional director once said, it's an extraordinarily difficult play to stage effectively.

Unusual casting. One to watch.

I think the 2010/2011 version of MacBeth is the best I've seen with Patrick Stewart. MacBeth is almost a Stalin like figure which makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

matTNT wrote: »
    I think the 2010/2011 version of MacBeth is the best I've seen with Patrick Stewart. MacBeth is almost a Stalin like figure which makes sense.

I think I seen that one... Stewart was fantastic in it.

UPDATE

Portman out, Marion Cotillard in! :)

This article implies that Portman was only being considered for the role but it seemed like she had been cast a few months ago. Either way I'm much more interested in this project now. Excellent casting, I think :)

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/marion-cotillard-to-play-lady-macbeth-opposite-michael-fassbender-8777904.html

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

She was stunning in La Vie En Rose. Not so much in her final scene in The Dark Knight Rises. :P Very good choice though.

She's also very good in a film called Love Me If You Dare, or "Jeux d'enfants" where she's maybe a bit mental at times. Not quite as evil as Lady MacBeth but I have to say I'm very excited about this now.

Cotillard was superb in Rust and Bone too.
    Very happy with this.

macbeth_1-620x412.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,223 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

They reading the play verbatim or updating the dialogue?

Advertisement