Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorolo Moto E 4g - 59 euro in Tesco

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭larchielads

None left in waterford was all over the town lookin for em :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

NATLOR wrote: »
    Main difference is screen size 4.5 inch on 2nd gen, 4.2 on first,2nd gen is also running lollipop and has gorilla glass.My OH has the first gen and it a nice little phone certainly not rubbish but for an extra tenner the 2nd gen is well worth it

There's two different versions of the 2nd gen. A 3g one and a 4g one (LTE). The 4g one has a better cpu and gpu so will be faster for everything.

In my opinion the weak point is the camera. Which is not great. Terrible in low light. My old Lumia 520 (also 5mp flash) is vastly better.

I didn't know about the Tesco sim in it so will have to get an unlock code doh.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭mac1961

None left in waterford was all over the town lookin for em :(

Don't forget Tramore, give them a ring they might have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dodonovan

I picked one up in The Crescent in Limerick today. Asked at the phone counter, and the lad there went into the back and dug one out. Very happy with it so far, considering the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Mok

Thanks OP! Got one in wilton today at customer service. Looked like about 10 left there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 Mok

Thanks OP! Got one in wilton today at customer service. Looked like about 10 left there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Motorola no longer updating these.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Motorola no longer updating these.

True, but it's already at Lollipop, the current release, which is better than most budget phones are. Also it's going to be popular in terms of custom ROMs so via that route there will be options.

At €60 it is an absolute bargain.

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭zagmund

I got one of the first generation ones in the Merrion Centre yesterday. I was hoping that they would accidentally pick out one of the 2nd generation ones but it didn't happen. It was bought as an "emergency" phone for when one of the family lose/break/wash their phone. Our previous emergency phone was showing its age when pressed into duty recently.

Thanks for the heads-up OP.

z

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭larchielads

mac1961 wrote: »
    Don't forget Tramore, give them a ring they might have one.

Yep rang them too that day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Marhay70

ixtlan wrote: »
    True, but it's already at Lollipop, the current release, which is better than most budget phones are. Also it's going to be popular in terms of custom ROMs so via that route there will be options.

At €60 it is an absolute bargain.

Ix.

Are there any ROMs for these? Last time I looked there was none for the Moto G anyway, couldn't even manage to root that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭RayCon

Checked Maynooth ... no joy. Anybody spot any remaining in Dublin shops ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭ejabrod

I just picked one up in Athlone. They have 1 left.

I may be selling this tomorrow. Got it for the OH and if she doesn't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 philroche

Thanks OP. Just got 2 in Carrick-on-shannon. There are two left behind customer services desk

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭ixtlan

Marhay70 wrote: »
    Are there any ROMs for these? Last time I looked there was none for the Moto G anyway, couldn't even manage to root that.

There are cyanomodgen ROMs (lollipop 5.1)anyhow.

http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=otus

I'm assuming it will be possible to unlock the bootloader and root but I won't do that for some time.

Ix.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

ixtlan wrote: »
    There are cyanomodgen ROMs (lollipop 5.1)anyhow.

http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=otus
    Unless I'm mistaken (and I've just been reading up tonight so I could be) otus is the 3G version and you do NOT want to put that on the 4G version (i.e. XT1524 this thread is about), they are quite different!

There are no official cyanogenmod ROMs yet for the LTE model "surnia". There is an unofficial ROM on xda which seems to be in good shape (though plenty of people seem to prefer to use an alternative kernel with it).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

What minitrue says is spot on. Do not put a Cyanogenmod ROM intended for the 3g "otus" model onto the 4g "surnia" model. They are quite different internally and you will probably end up with a paperweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Twatter

Got one in tesco extra dundalk this morning. Marked 79 but charged 59. phone shop assistant said there's one left after I bought mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭mrtom

So this phone activates with the inserted sim, be it vodafone whatever, when powered up for the first time? Not to be confused with sim free, correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

mrtom wrote: »
    So this phone activates with the inserted sim, be it vodafone whatever, when powered up for the first time? Not to be confused with sim free, correct?

Correct. It locks to the first sim it encounters, no matter what carrier. I used a Meteor sim the first time I booted it up, and it locked onto Meteor. I confirmed this as later I removed the Meteor and put the Tesco sim back in to test. It refused the Tesco sim.
    I bought an unlock code on eBay for €2.70 from a fellow in London, so it is now the same as if bought sim free. The firmware appears the same as the retail EU too, so no bloatware or anything different in it.

• Advertisement

Anybody spot any more of these recently ... preferably Dublin stores (or outskirts)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 friday one

Hi, I just bought one in Dun Laoghaire a few hours ago. There was definetly a few more left

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭kala85

Anybody know of anymore left.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Niveus Tauri

Nothing in Dun Laoghaire as of this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

Just got one in the Merrion, beside St Vincents

• Registered Users Posts: 26 friday one

As of 6.30 last night (monday) there were "a few" in Bloomfield's tesco. Took about 15 minutes waiting around for a guy to get a manager to get a key. I bought one.

I also told the staff guys I was talking to how great value they were. Maybe they decided to buy them themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Niveus Tauri

friday one wrote: »
    As of 6.30 last night (monday) there were "a few" in Bloomfield's tesco. Took about 15 minutes waiting around for a guy to get a manager to get a key. I bought one.

I also told the staff guys I was talking to how great value they were. Maybe they decided to buy them themselves.

was there this morning , customer service checked and confirmed they dont have any , had to ask 3 times , but no luck :(

so yes may be they decided to buy some

Thanks everyone (and OP) ... got one today in Clarehall (after the girl in Clearwater rang across to check for me as they had none left)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

How many devices could connect to it if you used it as a wifi hotspot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 philroche

Cyanogenmod 12.1 nightlies released for this device last week androidpolice.com/2015/10/20/cyanogenmod-nightly-builds-arrive-for-the-4g-lte-moto-e-2015-surnia/ (sorry can't post links yet) this is great news as it means theres a good chance it will get an Android Marshmallow update too.

Advertisement