Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Today I did some detailing...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

20150928_145515_zpsrmzf9uzu.jpg

This is the future of phones with them getting bigger with time. Our fingers will also adapt as seen here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Quick wash more than a detail

From this
    2yzha3r.jpg

To this

21wmtc.jpg

Lovely GT TDi ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Look at these jerks:

*Before Pic*

Sorted!

*After Pic*

I still see one...

awesome_small.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Foxhole Norman

This is the future of phones with them getting bigger with time. Our fingers will also adapt as seen here.

You calling me fat :pac:
    dar83 wrote: »
    I still see one...

awesome_small.png

latest?cb=20140610225008

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 853 ✭✭✭edburg

Winter prep session yesterday and today. Using some new Autobrite (AB) products.

Wheels cleaned with AmmoNYC brute wheel soap, AB Berry non acid cleaner
    Rinse
    Snow foam - AB magifoam
    Rinse
    Wash with old autoglym shampoo and fairy mix to help breakdown any remaining wax/sealant
    Rinse
    Iron/tar/glue removal - AB purple rain/Just the tonic
    Clayed with AB clay and fairy/water spray
    Wash
    Rinse

Wipe down with carpro eraser/AB crystal glass cleaner

Quick polish of paint and windscreen using AB final finish polish and clear vue glass cleanser polish using Hexlogic polish/finish pad and raylon fibre pad for glass.

Wipe down with carpro eraser/AB crystal glass cleaner

Sealed/waxed with Layer of AB Nano seal and 1 coat of AB Black magic wax

Finish for today
    DSC_0148.jpg
    DSC_0149.jpg
    DSC_0150.jpg
    DSC_0151.jpg
    DSC_0155.jpg

Then it was taken :eek:
    DSC_0158.jpg
    DSC_0159.jpg

Wait till saturday now and wash it again and give it anoth couple coats of black magic wax, should hopefully last the winter with just some quick wash n rinse sessions.

Will have to get bumpers resprayed at some point really bad chipping from mishaps and stones, edge of roof look bad when its cleaned to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Curran

Looks great Edburg!
    Just a heads up from personal experience - AB Magifoam is very aggressive, it will cut through the wax in 2-3 coatings, maybe a bit longer if you had 2 coats on it, but dont use it if you dont want to be re-applying it to the car often....assuming it will be washed regularly!

Curran wrote: »
    Looks great Edburg!
    Just a heads up from personal experience - AB Magifoam is very aggressive, it will cut through the wax in 2-3 coatings, maybe a bit longer if you had 2 coats on it, but dont use it if you dont want to be re-applying it to the car often....assuming it will be washed regularly!

Cheers,

Cheers though for heads up, yes already made mistake of mixing it wrong, astra had a purple sidekirt for a day after 1st use :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭Newtown90

New alloys!

De-Ironize with Ferrum!
    Clayed
    Washed with G101

Sealed with KKD R-Evolve X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Kevin!

Just finished a full paint correction on my OPC, a lot of work but its paid off - beads on the paint after drive home:

6jesjk.jpg

• Advertisement

Kevin! wrote: »
    Just finished a full paint correction on my OPC, a lot of work but its paid off - beads on the paint after drive home:

This the one on Detailing Addicts? Looks unbelievable!

This the one on Detailing Addicts? Looks unbelievable!

It is indeed :) can't wait to take some proper pictures of it

It is indeed :) can't wait to take some proper pictures of it

I need links, OPC's are good :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Quick once over, reload made that easy. Well impressed with it.

20151006_214219-01_zpsfhrktepn.jpeg

Restored both my own and a buddy's new X5's headlights today. Wetsanded wth 400, 800 and 1200 grit. DA'd with Menzerna FG 400, PF 2200, SF 3800 and finally with Meguiars Plast-X:

Before of the X5:

20151007_140955_zpswdp36ghq.jpg

20151007_140959_zpsig58i0ka.jpg

20151007_141003_zpsutkmuc01.jpg

20151007_141006_zpsxdtanofr.jpg

After:

20151007_152657_zpsolpjxj0c.jpg

20151007_152703_zpsfliaxphk.jpg

20151007_152708_zps7bcyqfwt.jpg

20151007_152715_zpsigv93dqn.jpg

My Own:

Before:

20151007_134730_zps0vi2xfxo.jpg

After:

20151007_134721_zpstdccqvmc.jpg

50/50 of a finished one and one that's wetsanded:

20151007_161518_zpsgcxtlfs0.jpg

Finished product:

20151007_163234_zpslzlvanld.jpg

I of course also gave mine a Snow Foam, 2 bucket wash and dry, wheel clean and tyre dress.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Used a heat gun on the plastic moulding on my car today.
    Saw various YouTube vids and thought I'd give it a shot.
    The front and rear bumper trims were particularly bad, should have been black, but were actually the colour of set concrete, ie pale grey.

The difference is................amazing!!!!
    No more Back To Black, supposedly this procedure will last me for at least a couple of years.

Anyhoo, looks sooooo much better.

Nice work FN! DId you put any coating on them afterwards? Something like Gtechniq C1 or EXO, CarPro DLUX on them afterwards to stop them fogging again.

Nice work FN! DId you put any coating on them afterwards? Something like Gtechniq C1 or EXO, CarPro DLUX on them afterwards to stop them fogging again.

I didn't unfortunately, I don't have anything of the like yet, when I do I'll be doing both cars with it.

What would you recommend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I'm amazed how good they turned out, nice job.

Hal1 wrote: »
    I'm amazed how good they turned out, nice job.

Sound, delighted with the both of them myself!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Used a heat gun on the plastic moulding on my car today.
    Saw various YouTube vids and thought I'd give it a shot.
    The front and rear bumper trims were particularly bad, should have been black, but were actually the colour of set concrete, ie pale grey.

The difference is................amazing!!!!
    No more Back To Black, supposedly this procedure will last me for at least a couple of years.

Anyhoo, looks sooooo much better.
    Any photos?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

*Kol* wrote: »
    Any photos?

No sorry, it was only after I had finished that I thought about "before and after" pics :o

edburg wrote: »
    I need links, OPC's are good :D

34qqtxl.jpg

Didn't bother cleaning wheels, going to apply FK1000P this weekend so will get more pics up once it's fully done!

Looks great.

Where you based?

Seen a arden with darker snowflakes at cherrywood last month. I brought burg up there with a mate and his.

edburg wrote: »
    Looks great.

Where you based?

Seen a arden with darker snowflakes at cherrywood last month. I brought burg up there with a mate and his.

I briefly stopped at cars and coffee last month - if they were smoked rear lights it was me. Some amount of OPC's at that, was suprised at the turnout

I briefly stopped at cars and coffee last month - if they were smoked rear lights it was me. Some amount of OPC's at that, was suprised at the turnout

Aye good turn out all right, didn't see your rear lights seen you from distance side on. Just noticed wheels.

Car was given a few hours attention today, and gotten to a respectable enough state to take pictures of it!!
    A chance to also do more testing some products I've had there some time - French company called FicTech; they make some nice stuff!

Wasnt in the worst state, just not washed in a few weeks since the CarPro HydrO2 treatment.

Snowfoam'd - 50Cal Combat
    Washed - Increditmitt and a FicTech Black Bubble
    Rinsed
    De-Iron'd - Bilt Hamber Korrosol on the body and FicTech Ironizer on the wheels
    De-Tar'd - CarPro IronX
    Rinsed
    Dried
    Light Protection - Orchard Autocare Perfection as I was in a rush
    Plastics & Trim - FicTech Slick
    Glass - 50Cal 20:20
    Windscreen - FicTech P6

Exterior

20151010_133858_zpsoqbve1lf.jpg

20151010_133743_zpslbrprnw8.jpg

20151010_133802_zpsnqxvzksk.jpg

20151010_133828_zpscovcjkz1.jpg

Interior

20151010_105739_zps5afv1uhc.jpg

20151010_105641_zpskpnvqshn.jpg

20151010_105834_zpscc5akrzw.jpg

20151010_105511_zpspmqavkiy.jpg

20151010_105457_zps7t2atqeb.jpg

Luggage straps are there, just removed for while I vacuumed
    20151010_105534_zpsba0hygt8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

How long do you leave the Korrosol on the body Curran? Is that stuff diluted down or apply neat? Thanks :).

Applied neat; spray on, rinse off. How long you leave it on, very much depends on the ambient conditions.
    From the starting point, by the time you get back around to it, maybe leave it another minute or two and then hose off. Sometimes, when I get the whole car coated, without leaving any dwell time, I'll grab a damp mitt and go over the whole car (at this stage the car would have already had a wash anyways) to spread it well, and then hose off.

You will see it begin to dry out, and there is no real risk leaving it any longer, but it will just take a bit more effort rinsing it off. If the panels are warm, it might take two coatings as it will dry out quite quickly. As with most things detailing, its best done in shade or in the cool.
    Today was ideal, mild, no sun, no wind - bliss! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I really like those seats, interior, wheels and ext colour. Perfect spec. The lack of nav/screen also helps keep it fresh looking as tech will age the car very quickly. Looks like a petrol too, fine motor.

Yeah, she's a 318i - great car, just lacking, for me, 2 cylinders.

Also have an E39 525i, which my wife is currently driving, as she wont drive the 'hearse' :P So this was the pre-sale prep, so it can be replaced with something she will drive, so I can get my car back, and give it the TLC it deserves :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Curran wrote: »
    Yeah, she's a 318i - great car, just lacking, for me, 2 cylinders.

Also have an E39 525i, which my wife is currently driving, as she wont drive the 'hearse' :P So this was the pre-sale prep, so it can be replaced with something she will drive, so I can get my car back, and give it the TLC it deserves :)

Great job on the hearse! Does the de-iron/de-tar affect the HydrO2 treatment at all?

To be honest, I couldnt say for sure, as the HydrO2 would have been on its last legs anyways. In theory, it shouldnt have much affect - I can check up on that though! ;)

Even though the alloys are brand new they still need to be cleaned properly after 1 week! This is Bilt Hamber AutoWheel.

Blackend:

21494183703_898c8bc5c3_h.jpg

Bleeding:

22115299905_802c5cf961_h.jpg

Beading:

21927392958_4065226c28_h.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Fecking brake dust

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Technique

Restored both my own and a buddy's new X5's headlights today. Wetsanded wth 400, 800 and 1200 grit. DA'd with Menzerna FG 400, PF 2200, SF 3800 and finally with Meguiars Plast-X:

Excellent job.

Is it possible to do this by hand, or is the rotary polisher necessary?

Technique wrote: »
    Excellent job.

Is it possible to do this by hand, or is the rotary polisher necessary?

I haven't tried it by hand but I don't think it could be done. The cutting power of a DA Pro combined with heavy cutting pads and compound is really needed I think!

It is possible to make some improvement, but the little amount is often not worth the effort

The thing most needed for a job on headlights is that a D/A will create heat. It's this heat along with the polish and pad that make the polishing work. You'd be an absolute age trying to generate the same heat by hand (get your mind out of the gutter ya whelp) in order to make it work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Nice bleeding on the wheels there Metz.
    Surprised at the narrowness of the tyres on a car like that.!
    Would have thought they would be wider?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

vectra wrote: »
    Nice bleeding on the wheels there Metz.
    Surprised at the narrowness of the tyres on a car like that.!
    Would have thought they would be wider?

I'm guessing they're the front ones so the rears are wider

Yep, they're the front. The rears are 255/35/19.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Curran, my old 3er had the exact spec as yours interior wise, that makes me sad.

Those seats are so bloody comfortable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The thing most needed for a job on headlights is that a D/A will create heat. It's this heat along with the polish and pad that make the polishing work. You'd be an absolute age trying to generate the same heat by hand (get your mind out of the gutter ya whelp) in order to make it work.

How is hear effecting the process, out of curiosity?

How is hear effecting the process, out of curiosity?

Think of it like butter. It's a lot easier to spread warm butter than butter straight out of the fridge. The heat is slightly melting the clouded/faded plastic and making it easier to remove.

The same thing applies to lacquer which is why when correcting paintwork it's important to remember that heat disperses better on a metal panel than it does on a plastic/carbon fibre panel.

Buy tar remover :pac: :pac:

Um depends on how bad, a clay bar will remove minor tar spots but if surface has larger tar spots then a Tar remover product may be needed,

Have a look on a detail product site and see what products they have.

Detailingshed and DnDdetailing are both irish sites used by lots on here

I started using Autobrite products recently and there Just the Tonic tar n glue remover is very good.

Tardis is another product that was recommended to me to.

Wouldnt use clay to remove any tar. The odd time you will miss a little bit that the clay will pick up, but I wouldnt intentionally attempt to de-tar using clay, no matter how little there is.
    Tar spots contain dirt and grit, and its not something you want to be dragging back and forth on the paintwork when claying. Ideally, removing tar should be touchless. Spray something on, let it dwell and rinse it off. CarPro TarX is my current favourite. There are plenty out there, as mentioned Tardis is a popular one, but I find it takes two or three attempts to get the tar off.
    Note - do not buy Holts Tar Remover in the aerosol cans - extremely aggressive, and will whiten black trims...and it goes everywhere, so there is no way to control it, even if you think you can be careful around trim or delicate areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Not a lot but posted here as an on going thread on the Carpro products.

No point in posting twice.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=97366657&postcount=30

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ShaunieVW

Applied some 50 cal cover up glaze using the DA, a much more effective product using the DA rather than by hand. Also my light were going hazy again so polished them with CG 3n Polish I'm happy with the outcome.

Before:

470BFFEB-39A0-4D75-934F-85358FB8100C_zpshje0ytag.jpg

After:

736A91C6-5A09-4CA0-AD22-D8C170FAA8E9_zps4zpunkp8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

The Leon was overdue a clean. I tried to start into it last week but had to abort and this was the front back then. It was even worse today!

20151011_133327.jpg

I started with slapping wet microfibres onto the front to soften the bugs (This is last weeks photo. I got that far last week but I had to stop, no photos from today of this step)

20151011_140610.jpg

Started today first thing as it was an ideal day, dry and overcast. Started with the same wet microfibre to soften them bugs. After an hour or so, snowfoam with 50cal Ambush. (You can see in the second photo where it was running off the car, cleaning it and see where it missed. That's annoying but I think I had the foam too weak.)

20151017_130446.jpg

20151017_132434.jpg

Then it was washed with the 2BM with AG shampoo, dried, detarred with AG Tar Remover, washed and then I tried out my new clay towel. I made up my own lube with water, APC and washing up liquid. The home made lube worked and of course I never noted the portions I used! I used the APC & washing up liquid as I wanted to take off the old finish. I had something else to try (I was shopping....)

20151017_143138.jpg

It was bloody brilliant to use. It made claying the large panels easy and the claying was done in 20 minutes. A clay bar is still needed for the awkward corners.

I followed that up with a rinse and dry with a Dry me Crazy. I got myself some Collinite 845 and I tried it based on recommendations on here. I put on two thin coats, leaving about an hour between each. It was my first time using it and as the bottle said to apply a thin coat, I used a blob about the size of a 2c coin for the roof. (Yes I mixed it well before use and left the bottle in warm water before use to reduce the viscosity). It was buffed by hand.

20151017_181724.jpg

20151017_181742.jpg

I'm happy with it. I finished it off with AG Fast Glass (on the windows), Orchard Tyre Care (on the tyres naturally) and AG EGP on the wheels.

The next job is to try the Collinite on the Motorhome. Now that will be a horrid job. I think it will take more than one weekend!

• Advertisement
Advertisement