Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Security IP cameras network

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

True. It's a VPN from the laptop, they just don't want it over home wireless but it is fully encrypted end to end so other devices on the network don't really pose a risk. It's just a extra security measure but I can see the point when the information is sensitive.

I presume they use gemalto fobs / two step authentication with the VPNs too. But I guess for them it's easier ban all WiFi usage than not as not everyone has a WPA2 network.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

Just a note about the NVR's. A lot of the off the shelf ones have been shown to have very poor security. I was thinking of getting a Hikvision NVR but then read about buffer overflows, heartbleed issues going unfixed for months....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

BigEejit wrote: »
    Just a note about the NVR's. A lot of the off the shelf ones have been shown to have very poor security. I was thinking of getting a Hikvision NVR but then read about buffer overflows, heartbleed issues going unfixed for months....

The one I'm looking at is on sale by the maker only, so it's not a very commercial item, nor can it be found on ebay.
    This doesn't mean it is good, but the specifications are very detailed and satisfying.
    More, it is produced 40 km from my home, if something's goes wrong I can knock on their door in no time :D
    http://www.dsecctv.com/Prod_NVR_videoregistratori_di_rete_IP.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

:o

tell me more about this please.

I have x4 Hikvison DS-2CD3332 Turrets and a Hikvision 4CH NVR to suit waiting at home to be installed when i get a minute.

:o

tell me more about this please.

I have x4 Hikvison DS-2CD3332 Turrets and a Hikvision 4CH NVR to suit waiting at home to be installed when i get a minute.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/11/21/hikvision_dvrs_wide_open_to_hacking_say_security_analysts/

• Advertisement

hah, just re-read that story and saw that hackers were trying to mine bitcoins with hacked Hikvision DVR's .... obviously looking at footage of the front of peoples houses wasnt quite as entertaining as they expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

hah, just re-read that story and saw that hackers were trying to mine bitcoins with hacked Hikvision DVR's .... obviously looking at footage of the front of peoples houses wasnt quite as entertaining as they expected.

That is concerning.

My NVR is DS-7604N-E1/4P project and I will change the default login details.

but I am guessing that still might not be enough

Advertisement