Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Running the red line

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Well done on the 10k!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

5k, 28'47".

Had a lazy 10 days there after my last run, and spent a few days last week hauling a rucksack around a Scottish island, so just did 5k this evening to get back into it.

7k, 41'51".

You'd know its October. Dark early, leaves thick on the ground, and kids dragging wooden palettes through Mountjoy Square. You have to admire their proactivity.

5k Dublin Simon Fun Run in Phoenix Park. 5.05k on my Garmin, 29'48".
    Very slow at the start getting around the walkers. Quite hilly for the 2nd and 3rd kilometre as well. My legs are a bit sore afterwards for some reason. When I was 1k from home, I was thinking "F*ck, how am I going to do 10k next Saturday".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 akeady

5k Dublin Simon Fun Run in Phoenix Park. 5.05k on my Garmin, 29'48".
    Very slow at the start getting around the walkers. Quite hilly for the 2nd and 3rd kilometre as well. My legs are a bit sore afterwards for some reason. When I was 1k from home, I was thinking "F*ck, how am I going to do 10k next Saturday".

I did that too - my Garmin had a fit and the screen went blank at the start, so I didn't get to time myself at all :( Do you know where the chip times will appear?

Thanks,
    A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 akeady

akeady wrote: »
    I did that too - my Garmin had a fit and the screen went blank at the start, so I didn't get to time myself at all :( Do you know where the chip times will appear?

Thanks,
    A.

I see the results are up now on:

http://www.precisiontiming.net/result/view/id/191

ATB,
    A.

5k, 27'56".

My fastest ever 5k, by about 50 seconds. Supposed to be doing the Donadea 10k next Saturday though so I'd better do something longer than 5k during the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

I'd better do something longer than 5k during the week.

There's no need - you can't make yourself any faster this week. All you can do is make sure you get to the start line in the best possible condition. So take it easy for the next couple of days.

I had to abandon my Wednesday evening run for a call of nature, so it was an easy few days after all.

Today, Donadea Forest 10k, 57'11".

Happy with this. Unlike the 5k races, the pace at the start tended to pull me along rather than hold me back. At about the 4k mark I picked somebody who was going at my pace and stayed just behind her for the next 5k. There was a nice cool breeze as well which helped.

Next up is the 10k for the Irish Kidney Association on Oct 23rd in Parkwest

• Advertisement

Irish Kidney Association 10k, in Parkwest.
    9.76k on my Garmin, 56'03".

Pretty similar pace to last week, but a bit quicker at the start and a bit slower at the end. My 5k time was 27'27" which is faster than I've run 5k before by about 20 seconds.

Cold rain from start to finish, and heavy enough for the last 30 minutes. My legs felt very heavy after 6k. I'll have to get some kind of technical top. Running in my favourite oldest t-shirt isn't ideal when its bucketing down.

I had a look around the sanovitae gym in the IFSC the other evening. I think I will sign up (maybe just a weekend membership to start with) because I can see a cold winter ahead.

....well to continue that thought, it wasn't a cold winter after all. But the power of that negative thought prevailed and I didn't run in the last 3 months anyway. Went out this evening and did 3.73k, 22'52".

I started reading Time Warrior last night - its about curing procrastination amongst other things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 469 ✭✭bart simpson

....well to continue that thought, it wasn't a cold winter after all. But the power of that negative thought prevailed and I didn't run in the last 3 months anyway. Went out this evening and did 3.73k, 22'52".

I started reading Time Warrior last night - its about curing procrastination amongst other things.

welcome back :)

that book seems interesting, i might try get around to read it myself......someday!

5k, 30 min.
    Legs were a bit sore all week. It will take a few more runs to feel comfortable again and to get the pace and distance up.

5k, 30'39".
    Yikes. Several small micro-walking-breaks. Legs and breathing weren't great.

Ankle is quite swollen and sore. I've been limping around all day like Dinny from Glenroe.

• Advertisement

That sprained ankle in February had me limping for a week, and I haven't run since, except for a couple of 10 minute efforts on the treadmill lately. (I've joined the gym in Parkwest 3 weeks ago.)

Signed up today for the Donadea 10k on October 13th, to give myself something to aim for over the next 2 months. If it stops bucketing down outside I might start tonight.

Edit:
    2km, 12'32". Legs were ok but breathing was quite uncomfortable for the last 500 metres.

2k on the treadmill, 12'51". The treadmill can be very uncomfortable after about 10 minutes - I wonder if its static buildup that causes it - maybe I need to ground myself with the handrail.

The gym routine I've been given is quite good - its a circuit of about 8 machines, repeated 3 times. It only takes an hour because there's no need to rest between sets, because the same muscle group isn't used twice in a row.

2.2k, 14'05".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭davenewt

Evening Lionel! Good log... appreciated by this similarly tall dude shuffling through the streets at a snail's pace (not that you are any more! :)) Keep it up and good luck with the 10k in October.

Thanks Dave. I'm glad I've kept this log, because I can look back at the progress I made in August and September last year and I know it doesn't matter too much that I'm back at square 1. It shouldn't take too long I hope before I'm back up to speed again.

Gym last night. 3k tonight, 19'13".

• Advertisement

Gym this evening, including 3k on treadmill, 19'10". Last night and tonight felt much easier than earlier in the week.

4k, 26'06". Was keeping the pace quite slow for most of it so that I could do a full 4k without struggling. I'll save the struggling for a week or two.

Gym last night (Monday).

5k tonight, 33'33".

The pace that I can comfortably sustain is definintely a good bit slower than 12 months ago.

Got a letter in the door for the Simon Fun Run in the Phoenix Park on October 6th - 5 miles this year - last year it was 5k, due to roadworks I think.

I was just thinking the other day that if I want to get benefit from the gym in particular and the jogging as well then I have to make sure I'm getting enought cardbohydrate, & protein etc., so I started logging my food intake on www.fitday.com.

On Sunday and Monday I ate what I normally eat, and it was only 1800 calories, so I ate a bit more before bed each night to bring it up to 2200 or so, even though I wasn't that hungry. I can't understand how I've been getting by on so little and yet maintaining the same weight for the last 2 years (87kg; 14 stone in old money). I'm 6 foot 5, so I would have thought that eating under 2000 calories is a big deficit for me. On the other hand, it might explain why I sometimes don't get out of bed on the weekend. So today I've been snacking on cereal bars, and had a couple of extra things to eat at various times and took in 3500 calories. I'll have to find a happy medium at around 2800 to 3000 calories and see how it feels.

Gym last night, 5k tonight, 33'23".

Gym Friday, rest yesterday, 5.35km today, 34'48".
    Took a different route and included Griffith Park in Drumcondra to see what its like - its a nice spot.

Ah, over in my neck of the woods I see! If you're around again drop me a PM and I might see you there!

Maybe we've crossed paths, Dave! All my runs start and end in Mountjoy Square. Can you still get Boards.ie running vests, I wonder? It would be good to be able to spot other boardsies out and about.

Tonight was a 6k loop via a street I was never on before called Philipsburgh Avenue, and Griffith Avenue, 38'51". It felt better than the recent runs and the downhill stretch from Griffith Avenue to the Tolka is compensation for the uphill bit on the way out.

I'm happy enough to see that my speed is creeping up on the last 4 runs; 8.9kph, 9.0kph, 9.2kph, 9.3kph. I'd like to keep increasing the distance and be running at 10kph in a month's time.

Gym last night; 6k tonight, 38'00". First run after dark this year. Am listening to BBC4's Ulysses podcasts on my iPod. It makes me want to tackle the book again.

6.5k, 41'09".
    Running in the afternoon is definitely tougher than the evening. Today was a loop that included some of Drumcondra Rd, Griffith Avenue, St Mobhi Rd, and back to Mountjoy Square by the canal. There are a good few inclines. I'm tired - just out of the shower now and have to resist the temptation to lie down on the bed or I won't get up again.

6.5k, 41'20". Same route as yesterday. I don't normally run 2 days in a row but I forgot to pack a towel in my gym bag, so the gym didn't happen this evening. The plan is to use the gym tomorrow and Wednesday and do 7k on Thursday night.

• Advertisement

7k, 46'54".
    Really slow going. I had lunch at midday, an apple at 4pm, and then ran at 8.30pm. Won't be making that mistake again. My legs were tired after 5 minutes.

9k, 57'40".
    Along the canal to St Mobhi Road and downhill to the Tolka, and a 1.5k uphill to Collins Avenue. Then along Collins Avenue and down again to the Tolka and Fagan's pub; no sign of Bertie; and a bit of uphill to get me back home to Mountjoy Square. The paths around Drumcondra, Fairview, and so on are great for jogging - there is hardly ever any need to wait at a junction.

I took a load of carbohydrate powder about 1 hour before - don't know if it really sustained me or if I really needed it.

You're flying :)

You sometimes have to wait a few seconds if running on Griffith Ave and wanting to cross Mobhi Rd or Drumcondra Rd, but you never have to stand still for too long... d'oh! :D

Must run a few km with you in September... not sure I'd stretch to 9 tho! :)

10k, 1h03'41".
    My motivation disappeared last week, so I've only been in the gym once in the last 2 weeks, and this was the first run in over 10 days. Have to be careful here that I don't lapse, or I'll be starting from scratch again in 6 months for the fifth time or whatever.

5k, 29'24".

5k, 30'00". Thinking about the Rathfarnham 5k on Sunday morning. Good possibility that I'll feel differently when the alarm clock goes off though.

4.8km, 28'24". Couldn't get any further because the Croke Park crowd was earlier than I expected. I can feel a couple of niggles in my legs that I think is because of pushing the pace in the last week.

Donadea forest 10k yesterday, 1 hour 3 minutes, 6 minutes slower than last year.

I've had an annoying ache in my left foot since about 4 days after my last run in September, so I didn't run at all before yesterday, just to give it the maximum amount of time to heal. By about halfway through the run, it felt ok, except for a few occasional little stabs of pain from the uneven surface. My legs felt very heavy during the race and are sore today, either through lack of preparation or maybe because I'm favouring the left foot and putting strain elsewhere. I was having a hard enough job getting motivated before the foot pain so this might be it for a couple of months.

Next year I want to do the same race in 50 minutes.

So that 10k was 18 months ago, and I didn't even try and jog for a few months after, but the sharp pain in my big toe wasn't completely fixed. Then in May I went hillwalking in Scotland and totally overdid it, dehydrated and shattered by the end of the day. Two days later I had excruciating pain in my left big toe. Long story short it turned out to be gout, but I've been on a daily tablet since last summer and haven't had an attack in a good few months.

Did 15 minutes of "walk 2 minutes jog 3 minutes" this morning. Felt fairly uncomfortable in places. Hopefully won't be too long before I make some progress.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭Ososlo

Welcome back and good luck! I'll be following with interest!

15 minutes of walk-2-jog-3 on Saturday, and same again today. I'd like to be running 5k comfortably with no walking breaks by June 14th. I've entered the 10k Dun Laoghaire Bay run on August 4th to give myself something to aim for. That's 16 weeks away, so there's time for a slow steady buildup, if I have the patience for it.

I've been thinking about publishing a "5k-to-couch plan", because I've done it at least twice now. It would include such tips as "If you feel like running, resist the urge by turning on your laptop and browsing the web". There would be a nutrition section which would include advice on how many battered sausages are needed to keep sodium high at high levels.

15 minutes of walk-jog-walk-jog on the 16th, 18th and 20th. I was up at 7am to get out before work a couple of times, which is something I'd never managed before. Yesterday had a little less walking and a little more jogging. I want to be rid of the walking breaks around the end of the month.

I've just re-read this log and looked at my posts from 2011 and 2012, and I was increasing the distance or the pace on nearly every single outing. It's no wonder I didn't last longer than a couple of months each time. Patience is the name of the game this time round.

I just discovered parkrun.ie a few days ago, possibly from somebody's posts on boards. I think it's a great idea; a couple of hundred people doing a free 5k run every Saturday morning. I'm going to head along to St Anne's as soon as I'm up to that distance.

Out on Tuesday, Thursday & Saturday morning this week and last week also. If I was doing this in the evenings it just wouldn't happen. It's so much easier to go out before breakfast than to go out after a day of work, with all the things that can get in the way.

Have had some ankle niggles, so I haven't been tempted to push things. Still just 15 minutes each time; today had two 1-minute walking breaks.

Tried running on grass a couple of times. My pace seems to be slower on grass, but on the other hand I don't think the iPhone is very accurate. Mapmyrun today shows me taking a 200m detour down a street that doesn't exist. Apart from this, the site is quite buggy. It doesn't even sort workouts correctly, because it doesn't handle the date format. My Garmin is buried somewhere in the clutter of my apartment.

Again, Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday; 20 min, 15 min & 20 min.

A few niggles, but they're all short-lived. For example yesterday I noticed that I was walking on the outside of my right foot and it hurt to put weight on the ball of my foot, but by night-time it was gone. Sharp pain in my right arch when I started jogging today but it only lasted a hundred meters. Bit of a groin-strain type pain when I'm just walking around some days but it always goes away after a few seconds.

Took a Dublin Bike down to Fairview Park this morning and did my running there because it's the closest bit of decent sized grass. Previous grass outings were in a small park which is only about 150 meters X 75m. Don't know if I have the time to go down to Fairview on weekday mornings but we'll see.

Monday night I set the alarm for 6.50am and went to bad planning to get down to Fairview Park on Tuesday morning. When my alarm went off, which is the 'ring ring' sound of an old fashioned telephone, there was a second or two where the sound manifested itself as a colour and a sound at the same time. The sound was a rich green colour. I got down to the park anyway and locked the Dublin Bike to a tree and did twenty minutes in the dewy grass.

Thursday morning did 15 minutes around the streets; no walking breaks for the first time this year.

This morning I volunteered at the Parkrun in St Annes and did a barely-competent job of marshalling one of the turns. A good portion of the runners were on the path instead of the road. Ah, well. Went home then and tried to do 20 minutes myself, but my legs were useless. The warm day was part of the problem, but it was mainly that I had been up for 4 or 5 hours at that stage with only two slices of toast for breakfast. Didn't eat a lot yesterday either due to not being able to leave my desk for most of the day. Jogging on an empty stomach works first thing in the morning but I'm not sure it works for me later in the day.

Entering the danger zone soon. Six weeks into a new activity is often where my motivation evaporates.

• Advertisement

Out again three times this week and the week before, mostly on grass. Walking breaks are definitely over with. The distance today was 4.8km. Left ankle hasn't been niggly since last week. Bought a pair of Vivo Barefoot shoes online for day to day wear. Bit of skin chafing off the ball of one foot when I wore them without the insoles yesterday but generally they're comfortable enough.

$_58.JPG

Out again 8 times in the last 3 weeks, mostly 3km to 5km on footpaths around the area. Missed two days early in the month due to work & study.

The warm weather makes a bit of a difference, even before 8am. I think there was just one incident of an ankle niggle and like the other ones it wasn't even anything much. The plan I'm following has me doing 4 days a week as of this week just gone, but the individual distances don't increase beyond 5k for another 2 weeks.

Advertisement