Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shiny Pokémon

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Playing fire red on emulator

SHINY ZUBAT :D

MY FIRST EVER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

IvySlayer wrote: »
    Playing fire red on emulator

SHINY ZUBAT :D

MY FIRST EVER

It just had to be didn't it.
    :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

GTR63 wrote: »
    It just had to be didn't it.
    :p

I got it on my way to catching Articuno in Seafoam Island :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Congrats Ivyslayer. Caught one of these myself on one of the games. Trained it up to go on my speed team since crobat has a high speed stat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭callmepetardu

I have a shiny Arcanine I got in a trade (dubious of it to be honest) and a shiny Gallade that I caught as a shiny Ralts. Gallade is one of my favourite Pokémon so it's pretty cool to have him all blue and stuff :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I've never even seen a random shiney :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

I've never even seen a random shiney :(

I've caught one, I remember not really paying attention to a game before seing a weird animation of the mon and wondering what was that as I killed it, didn't know about shineys back then!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Shiny Froakie yo! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Got my first Shiny! A lovely all-green Hoppip that I named Emerald. I caught it in a horde battle on the road outside the Daycare place whilst using Sweet Scent for what must have been about an hour.

I nearly f*cked up spectacularly as well. I was using a level 20 Eevee and had to get rid of the non-shiny Hoppips before attempting to catch the Shiny. I decided to use Swift - big mistake. Not being familiar with the move I had no idea it targets more than one Pokemon. I ended up causing two to faint instantly and left the Shiny barely hanging on. :pac:

I would have been beyond gutted if I'd made it faint. Thankfully I was able to catch it smoothly after that.

• Advertisement

After playing Pokemon for about 10 yrs, I finally encountered my first random shiny. A tentacool....I'll take it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Wobbuffet

There is a new method of getting Shiny Pokemon. Consecutive Fishing.

On Route 16 in the fishermans shack with the guy who gives you the Super Rod there is another guy who challenges you to break his streak of 7 Pokemon fished in a row. When you do he gives you some dive balls and says

"This is just a rumor, but word is that you can catch some rare Pokemon through consecutive fishing!"

He is referring to consecutive fishing, which improves the chance of getting a Shiny Pokemon

You have to continuously hook a Pokemon and for each Pokemon you hook the odds of it been a Shiny improve. You can't reel it in too fast, reel it in too slow, get a message to say nothing is biting. You also can't move from the spot you are in. All of these break the chain and reset it to 0.

To improve the chances of getting a Pokemon on the hook every time there is a couple of things you can do. Using a Pokemon with the Ability Suction Cups such as Inkay, Malamar or Octillery makes it easier to get a bite every time.

It also helps to pick a section of water is surrounded on multiple sides. Underneath Ambrette Town is a good spot. Go as far south as possible, surf out into the water and face the rocks. I tried it on Route 3 in the pictured spot.

During the battle you can make the Pokemon faint or you can actually run from the battle. You can't catch the Pokemon however as this also seems to break the chain. Also encountering and catching a Shiny Pokemon also seems to end the chain

You can use any rod you like but can't change from rods during the streak. So a good rod on Route 3 will get Goldeen or Corphish and a Super Rod gets you Gyarados, Seaking or Crawdaunt. I've been trying on Route 3 since last night. My first streak was 84 and broke when I reeled in too late. My second streak was 131 but broke when I accidentally moved in the water. My third attempt only got to 32 when a Shiny Corphish appeared.

I don't know the exact percentages involved as this method was only discovered in the last few days but most people seem to find a Shiny after around 30 consecutive bites. It's not a guarantee but it works and makes encountering a Shiny Pokemon a little bit easier

shinycorphish.jpg
    shinycor.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I wouldn't have the patience to fish 131 consecutive times. How long did that take?

About 45 minutes. Fish, battle, run, repeat. Takes a lot of concentration though so the longer it goes on, the more likely you'll mess up.

Just caught a Shiny Gyarados on the same route with the Super Rod

shinygyarados.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

Wobbuffet wrote: »
    About 45 minutes. Fish, battle, run, repeat. Takes a lot of concentration though so the longer it goes on, the more likely you'll mess up.

Just caught a Shiny Gyarados on the same route with the Super Rod

shinygyarados.jpg

Yeah but they're not cool thanks to G/S/C

CianRyan wrote: »
    Yeah but they're not cool thanks to G/S/C

I know, I already have a Shiny Gyarados from SoulSilver. I was aiming for a Seaking or a Crawdaunt. Lucky for me I got a Shiny Seaking a few minutes ago

shinyseaking.jpg

• Advertisement

Sweet!
    So, this really seems to work and quick too!

• Registered Users Posts: 38 MartinTWD_

I've had no luck finding a shiny with the chain fishing method. my highest chain was 80, but messed it up by clicking A too early...

!No! You Reeled In Too Slow!" message pops up quite a bit, in my head I'm thinking they are shinies...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

These kind of farmed shinies never taste as good as wild ones...

Does this chaining method replace the Pokéradar or is that also present in this game? Also, does "masuda" breeding method still increase your chances?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

The pokeradar makes a return post game and is available from the lab in lumiose city and can still be used to chain shinies. I haven't had much luck with it though. You need to find a big patch of grass, don't approach shaking grass on the edges, go for ones that are about 4 tiles away from you and they've also added in a feature where sometimes shaking grass won't have a pokemon in it so it's a lot harder. I think the chances max out at around chain 40.

The masuda method still works as before too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Shinies have officially become common as muck and therefore less exciting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I never understood this whole shiny stuff at all. I'm fairly sure I've just ran, or killed one or two in my play through of X so far. They aren't stronger or anything, are they..?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

I still haven't seen a shiny since the red gyrados. (Which I promptly KOed :rolleyes:)

Mister Man wrote: »
    I never understood this whole shiny stuff at all. I'm fairly sure I've just ran, or killed one or two in my play through of X so far. They aren't stronger or anything, are they..?

No they're just the same stat wise as regular pokemon you encounter except there's only a 1/8192 chance of running into one under normal circumstances.

And that's why I've never really given a **** about shinies.
    It's all about the game!

I like to have a few shinies and will breed or pokeradar for some if I've nothing else to do. I've only ever hatched one shiny which was a feebas in pearl.

Weren't iv's critical to shinyness back in the old days? Gen 1 or 2? To the point that shiny parents gave better chance of shiny kids.. Definitely fell by the wayside by Gen 4..

If shinies had better chance of maxing IVs I'd be all over them.
    The easiest way of having the strongest Pokémon, that's what I like!

I should train properly again, I want to do the VGCs again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Mister Man wrote: »

If you play TF2, Shiny Pokémon are basically Unusual hats.
    Banjo wrote: »
    Weren't iv's critical to shinyness back in the old days? Gen 1 or 2? To the point that shiny parents gave better chance of shiny kids.. Definitely fell by the wayside by Gen 4..

Yea, Gen 2 tied shininess to the IVs, so I think shiny Pokémon were always terrible in Attack or something. But since then they've separated it from the rest - this gen now no longer uses IVs to determine Hidden Power power, it's now just a base 60.

Chain fishing finally pays off, this one took 15 casts. :D

shiny Clauncher finally pops up, it took 20 casts. :D

decided to chain for a Poliwhirl, 17 casts for this one. from having no luck fish chaining, to catching three shinies in the same night and all on low chains. :D

BXYkd63CIAAZ6Fz.jpg

BXYvWK_CcAAKwdF.jpg

BXY991kCMAAycXL.jpg

Sorry for the double post, didn't want to add these to my last one.

caught 4 more shinies. :)

BXZLQt_CYAALXke.jpg

BXZYpdjCIAEQRZq.jpg

BXbRawjCIAAIeAw.jpg

BXbX56mCUAAmB_6.jpg

• Advertisement

staryu looks clayuss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Any Hope you'd trade the staryu for anything?

The chain fishing finally worked for me today. Managed to catch a shiny Horsea with the Good Rod. By my count it was 18 goes but it may have been a bit more.

Has anyone had any luck getting a shiny with the Poke Radar method? My best effort involved a chain of about 14 Flabebes in a row but then I messed up.

Hatched this on the third egg. I was just looking for a timid nature, which it has. didn't expect to hatch a shiny.

before this I was trying to hatch a shiny Eevee, 150 eggs and no shiny. the hunt continues.

BX8hWvTCMAAipgJ.jpg

Brilliant. ^ I'd love to hatch a shiny. Did you use that Masuda method?

I caught two more shinies today in horde battles. A Wingull and a Bellsprout. I used Combee's Sweet Scent and got lucky both times. My real aim was for a shiny Ekans so that hunt must go on.

Brilliant. ^ I'd love to hatch a shiny. Did you use that Masuda method?

I caught two more shinies today in horde battles. A Wingull and a Bellsprout. I used Combee's Sweet Scent and got lucky both times. My real aim was for a shiny Ekans so that hunt must go on.

I was doing the Masuda method for the Eevee, I hatched 150 eggs and decided to stop for the night. decided to breed a Gastly just for the timid nature and got lucky.

I caught a shiny Stunky today in another horde battle. It's a nice scarlet type colour.

I haven't had much luck with the fishing of late, though, and that Poke Radar method has been dreadful for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

They must have really upped the shiny rate, at least in friend safari. I hadn't found a shiny in over 10 years and now I have 2. Neither's shininess is particularly noticeable mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭LoganRice

My first was a shiny red Gyarados. Following that, a shiny Nuzleaf in Sapphire. Then I figured out how to chain hunt Pokemon in Diamond.

I've tried soft resetting for shinies once or twice. What a waste of time.

Fun fact: there are no shinies in Gen. 1.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭OiOshawott

I have a shiny Larvesta I got in a Friend Safari

I've never owned a Gameboy and can't afford a DS so I'm stuck with emulators. :( But I was replaying Sapphire recently (to console myself for not being able to get X/Y or, indeed, B/W any time in the foreseeable future) when I caught a shiny Tentacool near Pacifidlog Town. :)

And then I went back to an old game on Crystal and I caught a shiny Tentacruel on my way to catch Lugia! :D Two shinies in the space of two days - not bad.

I swear, when I finally get my hands on a DS/2DS/3DS I am so making up for years of lost childhood (and adolescenthood, and adulthood)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Just got my first shiny of Gen VI, a Farfetch'd. I love those shinies that are just a slightly different shade of the original.

Shiny Luvdisc - my first Gen 6 shiny and also my first chain-fishing shiny. Took a bloody age (I lost count around 47) but it got there. Don't let anyone tell you you can't chain fish with the Old Rod.

Warning to all Chain Fishers - It gets pretty boring, you will look away from the screen often once your chain has been running a while and the new fancy camera in battle often points at you, not the enemy. Never, and I mean NEVER attack without first seeing who you're attacking. I was a twitch away from absently Discharging this golden beauty into the stone age, and it's only blind luck I fired off Charge by mistake.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭OdgeXD

Shiny Riolu, Zorua, Swablu so far. Breeding for Umbreon atm, good times

Was playing Sapphire again recently and ran into my first shiny in quite some time. A Zigzagoon. Problem? I didnt have any Pokeball's yet. It's was painful to have to kill it knowing I probably wont see another shiny again in it.

• Advertisement

Just bred a shiney chimchar within 10 eggs!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Caught a shiny Poliwhirl chain fishing the other day - going to evolve it into a Politoed I think.

61.png

shiny_politoed_dream_world_art_by_trainerparshen-d6ieqi6.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Also if anyone's interested - I fished 68 times in a row for the shiny to appear, which isn't too bad at all really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭FiachDubh

If anyone wants to trade me a shiny staryu for a shiny skrelp, pm me :D

My first shiny since way back in Pearl:

20131101004211!234_Stantler_Shiny.png

• Advertisement
Advertisement