Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hip Hop 2015

Options

Comments

Not for everyone but new MC Frontalot dropped and it's damn good

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

New EP from Soul Khan, sounds dope after only a few tracks.

https://soundcloud.com/audibledoctor/sets/soul-khan-pursuance-ep

Now idea how I missed the news that Jay Electronica is playing Whelans on March 12. Tickets are just over 20 euro which is a bargain, shame that it's the day before I have to move out of my current house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

Now idea how I missed the news that Jay Electronica is playing Whelans on March 12. Tickets are just over 20 euro which is a bargain, shame that it's the day before I have to move out of my current house.

I'm a fan of what I heard but this guy has to be one of the most over-rated rappers in hip hop, does he even have a enough music for a set list? i've heard very little.

wheres the album too, honestly its worse than the detox hype imo. He's living of the hype of a few verses on a few songs imo, open to correction. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Jay Elect has three or four full albums worth of songs out. Sure he has f*cked up with not having the album released but to hear Exhibit A and C live in person would be pretty special alone. I think it'd be a very good gig to go to.

• Advertisement

Jay Elect has three or four full albums worth of songs out. Sure he has f*cked up with not having the album released but to hear Exhibit A and C live in person would be pretty special alone. I think it'd be a very good gig to go to.

That i didnt know, like i said i do like what i've heard but he needs an album out, he's fell off my radar because of the wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

New Action Bronson

https://audiomack.com/song/los-26/terry-1

Between this, Actin' Crazy and Easy Rider I'm really looking forward to the album.

New Malik B and Mr. Green track Crown of Thorns

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭melted_face

there has yet to be a bad track made when someone raps over a flume production

https://soundcloud.com/iamkoncept/flumechetkoncept-remix

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

Love love love this new Fashawn album - "Man of the House" probably being my favourite track.

http://www.audiomack.com/album/fashawn/the-ecology

• Advertisement

not everyday I'd recommend a big sean track but good music is good music.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

A few albums I've checked out the past few days:

- BADBADNOTGOOD & Ghostface - Sour Soul
    F*cking incredible album, Ghost sounds so much better over unfamiliar production, it works real good together.

- Raw Peotic & K-Def - Cool Convos in Quantum Speech
    This is one of the favorites of the new albums I've listened to, smooth sh*t

- Fashawn - Ecology
    Some excellent moments on this, but there is some things that dont work. The FTW track just doesnt suit Fash. And we get a reminder of how darn good Nas can sound over decent beats.

- B. Dolan - House of Bees III
    This is insanely good if your a B. Dolan / Strange Famous fan. Some stellar songs on this and is a massive appetiser for his album

Doomtree - All Hands
    Decent crew album, I think they are beyond needing to do group album and kind of glad this is the last one. Decent listen but not as amazing as I think it could have been. The guys individually have moved sonically in different directions and doesnt mesh all that well together now.

- Tradegy Khadafi - PreMagnum Opus
    Maybe this is from last year, but it's f*cking excellent. Threw me by suprise. There are some wishywashy songs on it, but overall great.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Brendan Filone

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    - BADBADNOTGOOD & Ghostface - Sour Soul
    F*cking incredible album, Ghost sounds so much better over unfamiliar production, it works real good together.

A dope record indeed. Only wish this had some Wu features and the songs were longer

Ghost is one of the few artists that's been in the game 20+ years, and still putting out quality material, his discography is easily top 5.

Album can be streamed here:

https://soundcloud.com/badbadnotgood/sets/badbadnotgood-ghostface-killah

I'm a fan of short punchy tracks on the album, I think it suits Ghost well as opposed to him over longer tracks.

Another new track from Malik B and Mr Green, this one features R.A. The Rugged Man

Absolutley beautiful new track from Elzhi
    https://soundcloud.com/glow365/february-elzhi-the-great

And a stomper from Clear Soul Forces

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Oleg Luzhny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

I actually didn't like that Ghost album...thought the beats didn't suit Ghost at all. New CanOx album was desperate...wouldn't even bother recommending it as it'll leave a sour taste in your mouth thinking these guys did Cold Vein.

The Ecology was a very good listen as was the Raw Poetic/K-Def...Raw Poetic is an incredibly consistent rapper.

Another album I really enjoyed was Malik B and Mr Green's collab. Loved hearing a Benefit verse again, the best rapper to never make it!

L'Orange & Jerimiah Jae have announced an album together on Mello Music Group. From the upcoming album "The Night Took Us In Like Family"

https://soundcloud.com/mellomusicgroup/lorange-jeremiah-jae-taken-by-the-night/s-eMxsf

Excellent little read on the album as well:
    About the Album:
    Enter those bloody alleys blocked off with yellow tape and chalk outlines. Secret backrooms riddled with sly crooks and blunt smoke. Slink into the underworld, the seedy shadowland owned by Jeremiah Jae and L’Orange on their noir-hop opus, "The Night Took Us In Like Family."
    Consider it the alchemy of Madvillain and "The Maltese Falcon": a five-part fable of tangled crimes, narrow escapes, and raining lead. The door busts open with “A Conspicuous Man.” L’Orange’s carefully severed cinematic clips hold the frame steady. The Windy City-raised Jae muscles the narrative forward—the hitman creeping.
    Beats bend sinister with imagery aiming for the temples. Jae invokes dark clouds, crowns of thorns and LSD eyes. Bars written in dirt. Samples are disembodied and ethereal. It’s like a grand jury indictment doubling as a Greek chorus. A song title like “Ice Obsidian” says it all. This is frozen lava, black and white celluloid, the spoils won by sinners. Watch your back rap.
    Or maybe it’s the hip-hop version of the gangster flicks made before the Hays Code—raw and uncensored, deeply artful without pretension. Pitchfork once described Jae as: “a lot of people talk loud and say nothing; Jeremiah Jae finds strength in the inverse." On "The Night Took Us In Like Family," he inhabits both eulogizer and executioner. He triumphantly looms over the corpses and explains how this all came to be. L’Orange supplies concrete requiems of dusted soul: beats to crack safes, soundtracks to stealth assassinations.
    If gangsta rap remains one of the genre’s most well worn tropes, Jae and L’Orange take inspiration from the rarely tapped roots of the tradition. This isn’t riffing on Oliver Stone’s "Scarface" like popular cliché, but rather the original Al Capone exploitation flick from the early 30s. Jae conjures a villain who vaporizes. Run-the-Jewels-raw but still sophisticated. Cuban cigars stuffed with California chronic.
    The picture unfolds wide frame. Guest stars include New York poison dart-thrower, Homeboy Sandman and Blackalicious’ Gift of Gab. The chapters flesh out the story: The Conspicuous Man skulks into “God Complex,” “The Damning,” “Revenge and Escape.” Jae and L’ Orange build their world as a catacomb and find a way to escape just as the walls feel like they’re closing in. It fades out as “A Macabre Instrumental” plays. The funeral is closed casket. The memories aren’t easily disposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Look forward to that and the new Mello compilation that's out this month.

• Advertisement

Andy_rse wrote: »
    Look forward to that and the new Mello compilation that's out this month.
    i've heard a few bits from it and sounds great so far.

Have you checked out the Kenn Starr album from last month, quite good.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭melted_face

new track from dublin rappers dah jevu. pretty mellow

https://soundcloud.com/dah-jevu/harebell-blues-ft-amano-prod-by-wastefellow

Cudi's new track is worth a listen, might have been posted already.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/singles/id.30004/title.kid-cudi-love

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

i've heard a few bits from it and sounds great so far.

Have you checked out the Kenn Starr album from last month, quite good.

Only heard the previews on iTunes, seems decent. It's my birthday next month and usually get iTunes vouchers so may get it then.

Release date of March 23rd for the new Kendrick album. 17 tracks apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

Release date of March 23rd for the new Kendrick album. 17 tracks apparently.

With a 12 minute closing song :eek:. Could be something really special. Really hope its not just dead air for 8 minutes though.

kwestfan08 wrote: »
    With a 12 minute closing song :eek:. Could be something really special. Really hope its not just dead air for 8 minutes though.
    probably just audio of his dad looking for his checkers board :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement