Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Counter-Protest on the 18th.

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    I really think that one of the problems with organising such a counter-demo, is that the people who would be inclined to join such a demonstration would be...well...working all day. I would wager that the majority of people involved in the demo last night were long term unemployed. (sweeping generalization yes, but this thread seems to be the right place for sweeping generalizations.)

Wasn't one of the groups marching a "restore the full dole for under 23's" group?

You do conceptually understand the the UNITE trade union organised this series of marches? That trade unions tend, by definition, to be made up of working folk?

I appreciate you mean well, but this condacending bull is beneath you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I agree with all that.

Of course there has to be cuts - of course tax has to rise, has that ever been in dispute? We are in the worst recession ever (according to some) yet there was a notional decrease in taxes at the last budget - what is going on???

Personally I believe they should have lowered the tax bands to bring more people into the tax system at the last budget because its something that is going to have to happen.
    My problem is the lack of accountability in this State. The Govt knew for years that the property market was going to go tits up, but they ignored it because it suited their aims, not the aims of this country but their aims. My problem is that this Govt are working more for vested interests than the people of this State. Just look at what's happening the banks - why are the regular folks stumping up for the bond holders in the banks? Why has this Govt orchestrated a campaign of villification against all public sector workers in an attempt to divide and conquer?

But there is accountability. Its called an election and in the middle of the whole bubble people re-elected FF (with the help of the Greens) despite all the controversy surrounding Bertie Ahern and others within the party. I have never voted for FF, I have in the past voted for the Greens I will never make that mistake again.

I see where you are coming from with the Banks partially. I see why BoI and AIB should have been helped I do not personally see the reason why the others were.

As for the Public Sector it is clear to any one who has had dealings with quite a few arms of the organisation that in its present form it is not delivering. The failure is that when the time was right to trim and tailor the service to the needs of the public all the government were doing was throwing Stamp Duty money at them and increasing numbers. Now we are in a situation where we cannot afford the PS as it stands, it doesn't deliver a service that is value for money and has to be addressed. If a fissure was to open up under the FF parliamentary party in the morning the PS issue will still have to be dealt with.
    We are in an utter state but this Govt are not, and should not be allowed to be the ones to drag us out of it. Of course I know there's no magic wand to fix what's happened but why the hell are you trying to portray such a glib response when you go on to say you can't wait to give them a kicking at the polls?

Its not glib it is based in realism. When I say kicking I of course me in the form of a bashing in the election and not what some of the crowd tried to do against the gardai yesterday and last week.
    The Greens and (especially) FF should never get near power in this country again given what they've presided over and given the decisions they've made in self interest. Any poitician that recently voted for Willie O'Dea in a vote of confidence should have been sacked given the comments that the ex Minister made, that TDs backed him up when he clearly acted out of order is a shocking indictment of the calibre of person we have voted in in this country.

A TD can be sacked because of how he voted its called an Election.
    Things will get a lot worse before they get better but FF should not be the ones holding the reins when things pick up. Get them out and keep them out.

Yes but unfortunately that's not how it will work. As I have said every time before that FF have made a mess of the economy they have not had to fix it afterwards. The opposition come in make the hard decisions get things back up and running and then get a kicking from the electorate because they did make those hard decisions and FF swan back in again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

Rojomcdojo wrote: »
    I really think that one of the problems with organising such a counter-demo, is that the people who would be inclined to join such a demonstration would be...well...working all day. I would wager that the majority of people involved in the demo last night were long term unemployed. (sweeping generalization yes, but this thread seems to be the right place for sweeping generalizations.)

Wasn't one of the groups marching a "restore the full dole for under 23's" group?

What condescending tripe.

The protest started at 7:30pm, MOST people have finished their working day by that time thus rendering your defence redundant (if you pardon the pun).

Advertisement