Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What books needed

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Just happened on this thread, and it strikes me that the op might be confused by the varying terminology we have in different schools for the LC course.
    It is a two year course. Some schools call it fourth and fifth year, some call if fourth and leaving cert, others call it fifth and sixth year. The school I went to called it fifth year and leaving cert, which made sense at the time because we called TY fourth year. But it is a two year course, no matter what they call it. TY is an optional extra year intended to broaden the student's horizons and allow them to consider career options. Usually about a third of students do TY.
    UNLESS...
    Some schools use TY as a compulsory year, and get an early start on the LC course. (They're not supposed to, but some do. Naming no names, wink wink.) So, in those cases they have a fourth year, a fifth year and sixth year or leaving cert.
    I hope I've got that right, I confused myself towards the end.

OP, the best resource you have at your disposal is the staff in your school. Talk to the teachers of the subjects you're doing at home and they'll set you on the right track. I'd advise against taking subjects on unsupervised, the isolation can cause students to feel unnecessary panic. Take the summer to relax. You'll need it, there's a long hard road ahead.
    I may have misinterpreted a comment you made earlier, but I also wanted to clarify that you can only count points from six subjects, so doing extra subjects at home mightn't be an advantage.

Advertisement