Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend me a 4x4

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

True enough, but our second car (the one to be replaced) is an MX5 with RWD and utterly useless, I know we could winter tyres on it and stick 50 kg's in the boot, but that would completely spoil in for the motorway bit.
    We live on a hill, with 8 km of twisty, turny, ice covered roads that don't get cleared in the winter and can be pretty dicey, but the rest of the journey is 50km of motorway and for that (I'm trying to convince her) a big 4x4 is just not practical.
    I've asked a few of the farmers and they seem to favour the usual Pajeros, Landcruisers, even Daihatsus, but according to the guy in the Pajero, the one thing that never, ever got stuck is his wife's Ford Ka!
    And I myself have been driving various forms of Focus and even a Transit Connect in the snow here and never got stuck.
    We're on a very tight budget, her 00 MX5 isn't worth a fortune and I'm trying to steer her to a Focus. That with winter tyres should get her up and down our hill no problem.

P.S.
    Really love the Panda 4x4! Don't think she'll go for it.:D
    RAV4 also looks like a contender.

Ok maybe a very light rwd car like the mx5 wouldn't be great but IMO unless you live in the mountains you still don't need a 4x4. I have very steep hills to and from my house and even though my RWD car was a bit ropey any FWD car I was driving had no problems at all.

In most instances its the drivers that get the cars stuck in snow/ice, not the car. If you buy a fwd car which has modern driver aids like ESP and/or EBD then any driver should have no problem as with those you can just keep you foot flat on the accelerator if you like and the electronics will control everything else. The wifes Toyota IQ has these and I was able to take it down roads where front bumper was plowing through the snow without a problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Suzuki Jimny

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Suzuki Jimny

Just don't use the steering wheel or you'll need new wing mirrors!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Great off road though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭langdang

:D Never had that problem in my rental jimny, and I had that thing squealing around Greek roads! Great craic :D

Edit - DrFuzz - the Honda CRVs are grand and cheap (2L petrol SUV, couldn't give em away!), simple and reliable and should handle what our new style of winters would throw at them handy enough. I know it doesn't tick many of your original boxes, but they are cheap. The interior of the first gen ones is no better than old foresters tho - functional is the most positive way of describing them!

• Advertisement

What about the 06ish on Daihatsu terrios? 1.3 or 1.5 petrol engines so cheap enough to run and tax, decent on the road, reliable(built in Japan not europe) and a proper off road capable 4x4 chassis?

langdang wrote: »
    :D Never had that problem in my rental jimny, and I had that thing squealing around Greek roads! Great craic :D

I had one in Greece once too, try doing a sharp left-right swerve to avoid a moped then an oncoming car and see what happens:eek::(:mad:

Advertisement