Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Coins & Banknotes Valuation Sticky

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭marathonm@n

I see that the following feedback has already been left: Great to buy from and fast dispatch. What's the story here? :confused:

??????????

I see that the following feedback has already been left: Great to buy from and fast dispatch. What's the story here? :confused:

what's even stranger is the fact that auction ended at 7.15pm on Sat and by 5.30pm on Monday it's been delivered and feedback left.
    Sometimes you wonder why?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 ladymayo

I had bought other items previous to this and didnt leave feedback when he asked for feedback as he had gave me a good one, so said it best to give good feedback when im going to send it back to him, feeling nervous, what if he insists its uncirculated now???? it hasnt been delivered yet that feedback was for other items
    2 x A/UNC. Dublin Millennium 1988 50p Coin & Irish Millennium £1 Coin 2000 on the 20/06/14

2X Lady Lavery POUND Notes 15-05-1974 DIFFERENT PRINTING...on the 14/06/14

Post arrived and ye were right its even worse looking in real life, theres crease in it through douglas hydes face, Ireland WILLIAM B. YEATS £20 Note 25-08-1983 A/UNC condition was also bought the sale day and that has dark marks, dont think it is almost uncirculated

ladymayo wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply, a friend of mine purchased 1 of these on the internet paying over 200 pound thinking he was paying in euros which ended to be a lot more. So at least they will get their money back on this item? Where would be the best place to resell it and is there any site or place you can get a value for bank notes?. Thanks

I had bought other items previous to this and didnt leave feedback when he asked for feedback as he had gave me a good one, so said it best to give good feedback when im going to send it back to him, feeling nervous, what if he insists its uncirculated now???? it hasnt been delivered yet that feedback was for other items
    2 x A/UNC. Dublin Millennium 1988 50p Coin & Irish Millennium £1 Coin 2000 on the 20/06/14

2X Lady Lavery POUND Notes 15-05-1974 DIFFERENT PRINTING...on the 14/06/14

?

• Advertisement

I was originally buying it for myself but my friend wanted it as i had bougth the 20 pound note, thats why i said he had bought it, i had purchased it on my account, sorry i didnt tell the whole story. I had gave feedback on previous purchases, its my responsibility now as i purchased it.

I was originally buying it for myself but my friend wanted it as i had bougth the 20 pound note, thats why i said he had bought it, i had purchased it on my account, sorry i didnt tell the whole story. I had gave feedback on previous purchases, its my responsibility now as i purchased it.

People on here are sound and are not out to make anything. They give you honest advice in something they have an interest in.

Take close up photos of the notes. Return them (keep proof of postage) and if you don't get credit, report it to ebay and paypal and money will be held. You will get your money back. Just be careful when buying notes as a photo in most cases will show a note up better than it actually is.

I know and you have definately gave me advice and im very grateful for it. I didnt tell the whole story first as i was afraid the seller would see this not refund me, as i am new to all this i was afraid after spending that much on it. I had bought a coin set of this seller last week also which was described as uncirculated and theres a rust like mark on one of them, is this right for uncirculated? I would really like to get into these colletables but its a tough one when im starting from scratch, ill be off to bed soon as im on shift work tonight, ill chat to you soon

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rocks007

Hi Lads.

I have two Irish coins and would like to know their value " One Coin is the old 20p with the horse dated 1986 " Second Coin is Old Penny with hen and chicks dated 1928 small bit of a story from where it was found " Thank you..

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Is there a market for €100 T series note?

I saw one advertised in used condition for €220? Why....:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,223 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Rocks007 wrote: »
    Hi Lads.

I have two Irish coins and would like to know their value " One Coin is the old 20p with the horse dated 1986 " Second Coin is Old Penny with hen and chicks dated 1928 small bit of a story from where it was found " Thank you..

The 1985 20p is the rare one. Yours isn't worth all that much, a euro at most. The penny depends on the condition, ebay has them ranging from a couple of quid to 20.

Is there a market for €100 T series note?

I saw one advertised in used condition for €220? Why....:eek:

The €500 is supposedly rare and mistakenly they think the €100 is also. The €500 is not rare and most collectors are aware of this as they started to come out from underneath the floor boards as soon as the values were inflated.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Sligo Quay

Like all notes, unless it's mint condition, I have an old 10 shilling note, but it's worn and tattered, unless it's mint condition, it only has sentimental and nostalgic value, otherwise it's worthless.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Sarbear85

Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if you could help me value the below. They are probably worth nothing but may as well check :)

1998 pound coin
    1986 5p
    15/10/99 five pound note

Thanks for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Sarbear85 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Just wondering if you could help me value the below. They are probably worth nothing but may as well check :)

1998 pound coin
    1986 5p
    15/10/99 five pound note

Thanks for your help!

The Central Bank on Dame Street will exchange the five pound note and the pound coin for you.

Sarbear85 wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

1998 pound coin
    1986 5p
    15/10/99 five pound note

Thanks for your help!

Old is a relative term. To a sixteen year old a 1998 coin might seem old. However the market would say otherwise. Unless you have uncirculated, mint or unusual notes or coin then face values apply. It appears that your hoard is not worth nothing but is worth €7.68. (£6.05 divided by .787564).

Good memory eh?

:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Hi Guys,
    I just found a box of old coins that my granddad left me 10 years ago. Have no idea on value so I have written down what he has and thought i might post here to see if someone might know

See below for full list

One Shilling
    1922 x1 eng
    1947 x2 scottish
    1948 x9 5 x scot - 4 x Eng
    1949 x2 scottish
    1950 x2 scottish
    1951 x1
    1953 x1 eng
    1956 x1 scottish
    1957 x1 eng
    1962 x1 eng
    1963 x2 scottish

5P coins
    1969 5p
    1970 5p

threepence

farthing

sixpence
    1951 x 2

Three D Maundy i think?

half penny

two shilling

half crown

50p
    1994 D day Comm Edition

five pound
    Princess diana comm coin 1999

five pound
    1977 silver julibee

10 shilling note
    orange s56 713540

Irish Coins
    Two shilling 1951
    10p 1969

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.. Also can anyone recommend a shop to sell these at as a job lot

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

BrookieD wrote: »
    Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.. Also can anyone recommend a shop to sell these at as a job lot

IMO it's doubtful any dealer here would have much interest in them so the chances are you'd be quite disappointed with any offer they might make. Why not pass them on to someone who might become interested in starting their own collection...

BrookieD wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    I just found a box of old coins that my granddad left me 10 years ago. Have no idea on value so I have written down what he has and thought i might post here to see if someone might know

See below for full list

One Shilling
    1922 x1 eng
    1947 x2 scottish
    1948 x9 5 x scot - 4 x Eng
    1949 x2 scottish
    1950 x2 scottish
    1951 x1
    1953 x1 eng
    1956 x1 scottish
    1957 x1 eng
    1962 x1 eng
    1963 x2 scottish

5P coins
    1969 5p
    1970 5p

threepence

farthing

sixpence
    1951 x 2

Three D Maundy i think?

half penny

two shilling

half crown

50p
    1994 D day Comm Edition

five pound
    Princess diana comm coin 1999

five pound
    1977 silver julibee

10 shilling note
    orange s56 713540

Irish Coins
    Two shilling 1951
    10p 1969

Poor Grandad!

Anyway they're yours to do as you wish.

However, as per previous post the value is what anyone will pay for goods and in your case there are few of the above worth much. Try advertising on Adverts.ie . I'd separate the Diana , D Day , ten bob note and the pre 1947 shillings and maundy money and sell the rest as a job lot.

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shane.

Hi

Anyone know the value of a 1999 £ 20 punt in fine condition, thanks

• Advertisement

shane. wrote: »
    Hi

Anyone know the value of a 1999 £ 20 punt in fine condition, thanks

€25.39 at central bank.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rustymetal

Hi everyone

Have a fair amount of coins that I am starting to go through, thought this might be the place to see if any of them are interesting. As for grades some are fine the odd one might be very fine but I am just guessing as I am new to this.

1/2 d

1953x1
    1964x2
    1966x1

1d
    1941 x3
    1942x2
    1946x1
    1948x2
    1949x1
    1950x1
    1961x6
    1963x1
    1964x1
    1965x3
    1966x2
    1967x1

and finally

1968x27

Any input would be appreciated and apologises for the lack of pics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

Hi All Im assuming there is no coin grading company in Ireland. Any opinions on how to get coins graded? Ive a few which I believe would grade very well, for example Irish silver half crowns, morgan dollars. Would be interesting to see the grade they would attain, thanks in advance

Hi Rusty, Im afraid those coins are of little value as they were minted in large numbers. I know they minted 30 million of the 1967 penny. there is a good website Irish coins and values, that will give you the mintage figures and estimated value of every coin. so you will know the rare ones to look out for, hope this was some help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rustymetal

pimpmyhat wrote: »
    Hi Rusty, Im afraid those coins are of little value as they were minted in large numbers. I know they minted 30 million of the 1967 penny. there is a good website Irish coins and values, that will give you the mintage figures and estimated value of every coin. so you will know the rare ones to look out for, hope this was some help to you.

Thanks for the info, is the site irish coinage by any chance ?

Hi yes thats the one! very informative website. all the best with your collecting, good hobbie

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Hi All Im assuming there is no coin grading company in Ireland. Any opinions on how to get coins graded? Ive a few which I believe would grade very well, for example Irish silver half crowns, morgan dollars. Would be interesting to see the grade they would attain, thanks in advance

Bring them to the coin fair in October and get them graded and valued for free. I wouldn't bother with those grading companies that slab coins. You've to pay to send them off and get them back and pay the fees to have them graded and slabbed. This just adds an unnecessary expense which you will not get back from Irish collectors or dealers who are more than capable of grading coins themselves.

It may be worth it for very valuable coins or coins that are often forged, in order to prove their authenticity, like the 1943 Florins etc. But otherwise it's a waste of time and money.

Thanks for your reply, yes I see your point. Im looking for the 1928 irish proof set in the original case would you think it would be available at the fair? I was at the last two but wasnt looking for it at the time

Thanks for your reply, yes I see your point. Im looking for the 1928 irish proof set in the original case would you think it would be available at the fair? I was at the last two but wasnt looking for it at the time

Well I have seen some there in the past but obviously can't say for certain that there'll be any there next time. You've a better chance of finding it there than anywhere else though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

hi all. anybody able to put a price on a mint condition £5 provincial bank of ireland 1939 note? also two £1 ploughman notes (not quiet mint but good) 1929 and 1938. i know its difficult without a picture but i,m just looking for an idea. cheers

Advertisement