Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interview fcuk ups

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Same thing happened to me in an interview. Felt like a complete idiot leaving the ringtone on. She said it was fine but I knew I might as well have left then.

I was a week early for an interview before! It was for college placement and they moved the dates. Went up to the careers guidance office in my suit after waiting a good 30 mins after the scheduled time. She just looked at me and held in the laughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

Worst interview was the time I was late and couldn't find their offices.
    I was interviewing in Dublin (not my home city) and left myself enough time to get to the interview location. I took a taxi from Heuston station, armed with the exact address I needed to go to. Unfortunately for me, the taxi driver, despite saying he knew where it was, didn't know where it was.

So we're driving around in circles, I have no idea where the place is, taxi driver has no sat. nav., his taxi driver friends on the phone don't know where it is (surprise surprise), randomers on the street have no idea where the place is, and I'm getting more agitated and no closer to the interview. Eventually, the interviewers ring me on my mobile as it was 5 minutes past the interview time. I explain that we can't find their offices and they say no problem, pass the phone to the taxi-driver and we'll tell him how to get here. I hand the driver the phone and he listens to their directions, then says "oh yeah I know exactly where you are now." All good, or so I thought.

He then drives me to a building and says to me "that's their offices there, on the 2nd floor the woman said". Cheeky bastard charged me the full fare on the meter even though we were driving around in circles for 15/20 minutes. Since I was already late for the interview, I didn't have time to argue and just gave the w@nker the money.

All good now, at least I had found it, or so I thought. Went into the building and it turned out it wasn't where I was looking for at all. I asked the people working there if they knew the place I was looking for, they said they never heard of it. Turns out, it was only a stone's throw away, but they didn't know it. So I left the building, absolutely helpless, can't find the address for love nor money, asked a few more people and no one knows where it is. Eventually the interviewer rang me and asked me where I was, I described the part of the business park I was in, and she says to me, ok stay there, I’ll come get you. The junior interviewer drove down and picked me up in her car! It was an absolutely scorcher that day, and between the heat, wearing a suit and running around like a headless chicken, by the time I sat down for the interview, I was literally soaked in sweat!

Needless to say, I didn’t get the job.

Afterwards I was told by the interviewers that almost everyone has difficulty finding their offices, and that I certainly wasn't the first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭Tym

@Dan
    The interviewers sounds bril.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭rgmmg

Dan133269 wrote: »
    I was interviewing in Dublin (not my home city) and left myself enough time to get to the interview location. I took a taxi from Heuston station, armed with the exact address I needed to go to. Unfortunately for me, the taxi driver, despite saying he knew where it was, didn't know where it was.

So we're driving around in circles, I have no idea where the place is, taxi driver has no sat. nav., his taxi driver friends on the phone don't know where it is (surprise surprise), randomers on the street have no idea where the place is, and I'm getting more agitated and no closer to the interview. Eventually, the interviewers ring me on my mobile as it was 5 minutes past the interview time. I explain that we can't find their offices and they say no problem, pass the phone to the taxi-driver and we'll tell him how to get here. I hand the driver the phone and he listens to their directions, then says "oh yeah I know exactly where you are now." All good, or so I thought.

He then drives me to a building and says to me "that's their offices there, on the 2nd floor the woman said". Cheeky bastard charged me the full fare on the meter even though we were driving around in circles for 15/20 minutes. Since I was already late for the interview, I didn't have time to argue and just gave the w@nker the money.

All good now, at least I had found it, or so I thought. Went into the building and it turned out it wasn't where I was looking for at all. I asked the people working there if they knew the place I was looking for, they said they never heard of it. Turns out, it was only a stone's throw away, but they didn't know it. So I left the building, absolutely helpless, can't find the address for love nor money, asked a few more people and no one knows where it is. Eventually the interviewer rang me and asked me where I was, I described the part of the business park I was in, and she says to me, ok stay there, I’ll come get you. The junior interviewer drove down and picked me up in her car! It was an absolutely scorcher that day, and between the heat, wearing a suit and running around like a headless chicken, by the time I sat down for the interview, I was literally soaked in sweat!

Afterwards I was told by the interviewers that almost everyone has difficulty finding their offices, and that I certainly wasn't the first.

Hehe :D

It would be funny if the taxi driver was in on it and that that part of it was part of the interview process - seeing how you handle pressure etc. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

rgmmg wrote: »
    Hehe :D

It would be funny if the taxi driver was in on it and that that part of it was part of the interview process - seeing how you handle pressure etc. :pac:

Funnily enough that was one answer I gave, staying calm when dealing with a difficult person! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Went to an interview once for a position in a hotel once, where there would be long hours and the guy on the other end, after asking me where I lived, then went on to request would I consider relocating to Dublin City Centre. I kinda looked at him, bizarrely and said no

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Was asked in an interview the "Where do you see yourself in X years time?" question and I responded with "Sitting in your chair" as my answer. Got the job and sure enough a couple of years later was carrying out my own interviews as I had been promoted to the manager position. For a long time I was proud of the answer I had given and hadnt seen it as being an issue but did find out on the grapevine years later that it had caused a long discussion amongst the interviewers and they had nearly passed me up because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Had an interview for a company that I got through the UL coop department for a company. I am studying science and I spent he night before remembering the company news about its science center. So I go into the interview and it goes well for around 5 minutes until they ask my what do I know about the company. So I told them what I learner the night before and this is when the interview went downhill because one of the interviewer turn and said she then asked me what do I know about about the business side and I just checked out.

Also the next interview I could not stop blinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,412 ✭✭✭JoeA3

My team got a CV in from a guy who claimed to be "An Expert Java programmer". An Expert no less!

So we obviously couldn't wait to talk to this James Gosling protege.

We started asking him some basic out-of-the-box Java interview questions that any knob who was half arsed about it would have prepared for. He hadn't a scoobie doo :pac:

Dan133269 wrote: »

I had one like that a few years ago, except that I was driving and the interviewer was talking me in on the phone!

Turns out that the job was for a field engineer! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭blingrhino

Dartz wrote: »
    Went to an interview there recently.

Forgot to turn my phone off.

Received phone call.

From Social Welfare, following up on a form I'd handed in a few days earlier showing evidence that I was actively looking for work and how I'd only put 4 entries on it. (Ones I had evidence for)

I didn't hear back from that company yet. But I do start a jobbridge on Monday.
    Oh holy lantern :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Calamity79

It was raining on the day of my interview so I decided to get umbrella out of the boot of my car in the car park before heading in. As i opened boot to get umbrella, the boot door flew up into the air due to a gust of wind, striking me on the forehead. I got a right wallop but thought no more of it as I was already running tight for my interview time. Ran into venue and was brought straight into interview. During interview I felt wetness on forehead. Believing it to be sweat I casually wiped my forehead discretely whilst answering interview questions. It was only when I got back to car that I realised I had split my forehead open when boot came flying up and it wasn't sweat I was rubbing in but blood!! No wonder I was getting funny looks from the interviewers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 780 ✭✭✭cheesefiend

About two seconds after I left an interview I realised that the buttons on the dress I was wearing had popped open exposing my boobs.

Needless to say, I got the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Went for one in Intel. Was absolutely dying of flu so I slept on it, making me late for the bus.

As I was sprinting down the street to the bus station through the rain, a mate on his moped saw me and stopped to help a brother out.

So in I went to the bus station on the back of this little 50cc chicken chaser moped, full suit and shirt, no helmet, tie flapping the wind and rain, hanging onto the back for dear life as we weaved through traffic. The seat was wet and I got soaked.

Got to the interview anyway. Still soaking and feeling worse. Probably looked like I was coming off smack. Answered all the questions in monosylabils and when asked if I had any questions of my own I said 'No,can I go now?'.

I went. Havent been back since. That was in '04.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Took too many sleeping pills to get to sleep the night before an interview. Woke up like a zombie.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I want an interview like this :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I have a friend who was doing an interview with a Big Four accountancy firm. They asked her where she wanted to be in five years time. She replied "Married."

She didn't get the job. :o

My own worst ever was an interview I did in a clothes shop, the summer after first year in college.

As part of the interview, we were discussing the subjects I'd been studying as part of my course, and I'd discussed my results (which I had only just received that morning.)

As I was leaving, the conversation went as follows:
    Manager: OK, thanks for coming in. You'll be celebrating tonight!!!
    Me: What? You mean, I got the job?
    Manager: Um ... I mean, you'll be celebrating your exam results ...

I still got the job, I think it was out of pity, but hey, a job's a job! :cool: :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

i was in an interview and we were being interviewed in pairs and it was being done through french and the woman i was with misunderstood the question and answered about something else and wouldn't stop talking about something she hadn't been asked. pretty embarassing but worked in my favour

in another one i got a bit nervous and so couldn't think of a word i wanted and thought i said "ah fcuk it" in my head but i had said it out loud

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭misterdeeds

Had an interview recently so did all the research etc , so I go to the interview and it turns out it was a totally different company than I had done the research on, but knew the interviewer because she was a manager of one of the companies I used to work for (large multi national company) so I was delighted we kinda knew each other
    Turned out to be more of a chat than an interview and I got the job there and then I start in 3 weeks time .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

OT, but my interview stories are kind of mundane. Carry on...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,336 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Back on topic.....

Was doing really well at an interview a few years ago until I called the owner of the company, who was there, a 'media whore'. It just came out and I thought I did a pretty good job of covering it but never heard from them again.
    I've been self-employed ever since.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭wilkie2006

Back on topic.....

Was doing really well at an interview a few years ago until I called the owner of the company, who was there, a 'media whore'. It just came out and I thought I did a pretty good job of covering it but never heard from them again.
    I've been self-employed ever since.... :)

Now that's a good story! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

1ZRed wrote: »

How kids like this fall on their ass onto a pile of money I'll never know:rolleyes:

To be fair it took a second to understand that the interviewer was asking if the word 'Bieber' meant basketball in German.
    He didn't repeat the question in full after the first time of asking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Years ago I was all ready for an interview. Grabbed the letter on the way out the door and noticed the interviews were the day before :(

Rang up and explained what happened and have the the old " I'm the best person for the job, you just have to meet me" line.

The brought me in on the second round of interviews and ingot the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Anyway. Ive never had a job interview, just an interview for a fetac IT course.

"What operating system do you use".

errrr.....vista.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

About two seconds after I left an interview I realised that the buttons on the dress I was wearing had popped open exposing my boobs.

Needless to say, I got the job.

you obviously have excellent 'qualifications'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,805 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

I got a buddy of mine an interview with a company I worked for a few years back, it's a large food/bakery/deli food company. My buddy is a rather large chap but always quick witted, when asked during the interview was he passionate about food he replied with 'Are you blind or something?'

My boss rang me after the interview and told me he wouldn't be getting the job

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement