Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

why a coffee stop on spin

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

Brian? wrote: »
    I completely agree. I'm not sure why but cask ale died in this country a long time ago. I'm assuming it was the Brits fault. English cask ale is generally lovely.

It seems to be making a comeback lately. The Galway Bay chain, L Mulligans Grocery, Porterhouse and the likes are giving it a fair go anyway.

Used to love going for a spin in different directions from town when I lived in blighty and try whatever local cask ale I could find in a pub on the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

el tel wrote: »
    It's cos cycling is the new golf; people want to stop and shoot the breeze and bask in the chuminess of it all. Plus its a way to get into proximity with non-cyclists and to get that 'how awesome must we appear" feeling.

Eh, No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

It seems to be making a comeback lately. The Galway Bay chain, L Mulligans Grocery, Porterhouse and the likes are giving it a fair go anyway.

Used to love going for a spin in different directions from town when I lived in blighty and try whatever local cask ale I could find in a pub on the way.

Had a beer on a few long audax spins last year.

Anytime i just have one beer this chapter from Philip Delerm's book comes to mind. Bukowski wouldn't approve of course!

The First Sip Of Beer
    THE ONLY one that counts. Everything that follows is bland by comparison, a tepid coating on your tongue. The harder you swallow, the more meaningless the excess. Perhaps, within the tragedy of the final sip you can begin to recapture...
    The first gulp! Its journey is already well advanced by the time it reaches your throat. With a frothy trail of framing gold around your lips, bitter happiness slowly permeates your palate. It seems to last a small eternity, that first sip. You drink without hesitation, gulled by your own instinct. The ritual is familiar enough: the right quantity to ensure a perfect prelude; the instant rush of wellbeing, punctuated by a contented sigh, a smack of the lips, or silence; the giddy sensation of pleasure teetering on the brink of infinity... Yet you know that the best is already over.
    You put your glass down on the beer mat and push both slightly away. Time to relish the colour - ersatz honey, cold sun. If only you were patient and wise enough to grasp the miracle behind the disappearing act. You notice with satisfaction that the brewer's name on the glass corresponds with the beer you ordered. But whatever the relation of the vessel to its contents, nothing can bridge the gap between them, or conjure liquid out of thin air. What wouldn't you give to capture and encode the secret of pure gold? Instead, you sit at your table, like a frustrated alchemist intent on keeping up appearances - each mouthful is a falling away from pleasure. Happiness has a bitter taste when you have to drink in order to forget the first sip.

From `The Small Pleasures Of Life' by Philippe Delerm

Edit
    Bukowski's take on endurance for balance...

“Anybody can be a non-drunk. It takes a special talent to be a drunk. It takes endurance.” ~ Charles Bukowski, Barfly

• Registered Users Posts: 8,213 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Ah now, there are some lovely low abv ales out there (well, in the UK there are), mild ale is a lovely style, like a kind of lighter stout with nice malty taste and goes down great on a spin.

The choice in Ireland isn't nearly as good...

Agree, there are nice ones in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

...and now for the science.... The best way to remove lactate from the muscles, and the associated acid build up that causes soreness, is to stop, 10-15 minutes. So you can go eyeballs out before and after the coffee stop with arguably a better training effect than continuing to mash on without the stop. One more benefit of coffee I saw in a study recently is that it aids the uptake of sugar in the system, aiding recovery through faster replenishment of glycogen stores, which is what the muscles also use as energy for repair. Aside from that coffee is just good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

is there any other reason why clubs do this?
    Yes. It's the best part of the cycle. mmm..cake...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

My choice is a pint of cider outside Johnny foxes on a summers evening and then a fun free wheel back down

weeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!! :D

I'm sure the serious enthusiasts among you will slate me for that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

@jon 1981 You're right. Most cider drinkers would be appalled you only had one.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Must club spins around the 80 to 120 always seem to stop half way at a coffee shop then restart after about 15mins or so, I always find when im on a training spin its better to keep going and have your drinks and food on your bike as you go along, I do find it hard to restart again after a coffee stop as my body as cooled down and can take a few mins to kick start, apart from people liking to stop for a chat and rest is there any other reason why clubs do this?

Cause its not about the cycling, its about having the bike, the gear and comparing power numbers from the little bit of cycling from the stages units and back slapping - aren't we great, aren't we fit, all those people sitting at home just eating cake and drinking coffee.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

I've deleted several posts that were either off-topic sniping or commentary on said posts.

Let's not let a thread about coffee stops descend into a bun fight.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,771 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

tunney wrote: »
    Cause its not about the cycling, its about having the bike, the gear and comparing power numbers from the little bit of cycling from the stages units and back slapping - aren't we great, aren't we fit, all those people sitting at home just eating cake and drinking coffee.

That's exactly it, you've hit the nail on the head as usual. /sarcasm

It's really because most people are out cycling as a leisure pursuit. I've no intention of ever racing again and I enjoy coffee. It's as simple as that.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 31,009 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I hate it when a bunch of Freds wearing Sky gear all sit around drinking coffee and fiddling with Strava on their smartphones.

Screen_Shot_2015_03_06_at_17_10_11.png

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭rayman1

I always look forward to the coffee stop.
    Best part of the spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭alentejo

My Sunday morning coffee and cake is my only guilt free one of the week!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I like coffe stops on a spin but there is a time and place. For me they are irregular and a treat;
    A reward for a particular interval,
    Freezing cold and need a hot cup and change of base layer,
    Or an actual coffee stop spin when it is gloriously warm.

I don't get the attitude of some people so inured to disdain that other peoples enjoyment is a cause for demeaning snide remarks. The key thing about sport and leisure activity is enjoyment. I don't get it otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

I thought coffee stops were to let all the cars go by :)

Or maybe coffe stop threads are cool places for mods to post in :)

Still waiting to find out if Beasty drinks coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,265 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The hills are the only way to avoid Starbucks

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭LennoxR

God I love coffee stops. That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

i agree op, lightweights the lot of em. Should see when i pass them out shouting bring on armstrong! Who needs a peloton anyway!
    Where you based, maybe we can go for a spin.

Btw - I am a Scorpio, yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Coffee stop is a good place for group bitching. On the road, any bitching and gossip is only one-to-one. Coffee stop gives the bitching a group forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

I've deleted several posts that were either off-topic sniping or commentary on said posts.

Let's not let a thread about coffee stops descend into a bun fight.

Ever had a bun fight during a coffee stop against members of a rival club? Great craic altogether.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Ever had a bun fight during a coffee stop against members of a rival club? Great craic altogether.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,290 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Puggy wrote: »

Still waiting to find out if Beasty drinks coffee.
    I very rarely head out for more than a couple of hours and prefer not to stop if I can avoid it, particularly in light of the goings on alluded to in the 2 previous posts

Having said that some of the IVCA spins are renowned for being a bit more laid back often with a stop for coffee and cake about halfway round. I'll leave them to it in the hope I'll finish ahead of a few more and boost my position in the racing league....

Advertisement