Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

why a coffee stop on spin

Options
  • 05-03-2015 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭

Must club spins around the 80 to 120 always seem to stop half way at a coffee shop then restart after about 15mins or so, I always find when im on a training spin its better to keep going and have your drinks and food on your bike as you go along, I do find it hard to restart again after a coffee stop as my body as cooled down and can take a few mins to kick start, apart from people liking to stop for a chat and rest is there any other reason why clubs do this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Deffo its the hardest the part of the spin starting up again after a a mad gallop to the coffee stop but coffee is so awesome its worth it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Blasphemer

• Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cos it's a club spin and a social event as much as a training ride basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭jinkypolly

Cycling spins can be a social event too, it's not all about going balls out all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

....apart from people liking to stop for a chat and rest is there any other reason why clubs do this?
    It's difficult to butter and jam the scones while on the move. ....and coffee from a plastic bidon is vile!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 Max Rockatansky

No cup holder on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I don't drink coffee as it messes with my nerves (eye twitches for example) but I do like a decent cup of tea.

During good warm weather I don't stop too often but in cold weather I find a tea stop helpful. The warm drink is comforting but standing on my (cold and numb) feet and shuffling around helps the blood flow back and relieves the numbness somewhat.

Although I do find it hard to pass the Armoury Cafe and that spot in Laragh at the bottom the road to Glenmacnass/Sally Gap. I can't remember the name :(

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

We drink coffee because it's illegal to drink beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

07Lapierre wrote: »

Best one yet, bar stop would beat coffee stop any spin day

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭happyhappy

Going for a spin with the lads and stopping for a coffee is the new going out to the pub for me!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Coffee and cake the essential part of any spin. I feel cheated if I get home without stopping for either

crosstownk wrote: »
    ... and that spot in Laragh at the bottom the road to Glenmacnass/Sally Gap. I can't remember the name :(
    Glendalough Green (aka Hippy Cafe). ;)

crosstownk wrote: »
    I don't drink coffee as it messes with my nerves (eye twitches for example) but I do like a decent cup of tea.

During good warm weather I don't stop too often but in cold weather I find a tea stop helpful. The warm drink is comforting but standing on my (cold and numb) feet and shuffling around helps the blood flow back and relieves the numbness somewhat.

Although I do find it hard to pass the Armoury Cafe and that spot in Laragh at the bottom the road to Glenmacnass/Sally Gap. I can't remember the name :(

I'm the opposite..in Winter I don't really like stopping. I prefer to go out for a few hours and have coffee when I get home.
    In Summer, nothing better than stopping at a cafe and having a coffee while working on the cyclist tan lines!

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Derrydingle

I'm the opposite..in Winter I don't really like stopping. I prefer to go out for a few hours and have coffee when I get home.
    In Summer, nothing better than stopping at a cafe and having a coffee while working on the cyclist tan lines!

Im with you on that one, summer stops are good

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

It's difficult to butter and jam the scones while on the move. ....and coffee from a plastic bidon is vile!

Have you not seen GCN?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

It's cos cycling is the new golf; people want to stop and shoot the breeze and bask in the chuminess of it all. Plus its a way to get into proximity with non-cyclists and to get that 'how awesome must we appear" feeling.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Neleven

Can't imagine going for a cycle and NOT stopping for coffee. Too much unrewarded pain otherwise. And caffeine is surely an acceptable performance enhancing substance, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭wexandproud

ya should try lighting a fag , then the ash goes in your eyes when ya do get it goin

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Muckers

Chocolate milk is another very popular treat down Deise way on our club spins. The days of the petrol station stopover are numbered too. Nice little cafes are springing up all over the place, so we get to sit down too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

real coffee nuts would ask why you delay the coffee by having to go for half a spin first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Oh, I thought it was just illegal to sell beer that early...
    :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

I pretend to get coffee, but it's just a chance to do Lotto. "And there was one winner tonight. The ticket was bought in the arseh0le of nowhere"

ya should try lighting a fag , then the ash goes in your eyes when ya do get it goin
    That reminds me - I saw a chap in full Lycra smoking a pipe today on the move (Dublin City Centre)

.... and I used to feel awkward smoking cigarettes on the bike!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,828 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

I used to light a fag going through town on the way home cos it was slow in traffic and with lights etc. I can't believe I used to smoke now!

gadetra wrote: »
    I.... I can't believe I used to smoke now!
    Same here - kicked a 55 a day habit on 30th August 1997 at 2pm (I can easily remember the date because Princess Diana died that night).

....still addicted to the Nicorette chewing gum though and it is an essential content in the jersey pocket!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

I'll often have a schnaky half pint of stout or ale (along with some icewater) while out for a longish spin, it's got electrolytes, maltodextrin, all the good stuff, right job.

I did it more while I lived in the UK though as there are a lot more low abv ales available there and pretty much every pub you find will have something on cask at around 3% abv so having a half or even a pint of something at that level isn't going to hurt anyone.
    Studies have actually shown that sub 3.5%abv beer is beneficial after exercise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I love coffee on a spin.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

I'll often have a schnaky half pint of stout or ale (along with some icewater) while out for a longish spin, it's got electrolytes, maltodextrin, all the good stuff, right job.

I did it more while I lived in the UK though as there are a lot more low abv ales available there and pretty much every pub you find will have something on cask at around 3% abv so having a half or even a pint of something at that level isn't going to hurt anyone.
    Studies have actually shown that sub 3.5%abv beer is beneficial after exercise.

See that's the bit I don't like...that's like having a decaf coffee!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

See that's the bit I don't like...that's like having a decaf coffee!! :D

Ah now, there are some lovely low abv ales out there (well, in the UK there are), mild ale is a lovely style, like a kind of lighter stout with nice malty taste and goes down great on a spin.

The choice in Ireland isn't nearly as good...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ah now, there are some lovely low abv ales out there (well, in the UK there are), mild ale is a lovely style, like a kind of lighter stout with nice malty taste and goes down great on a spin.

The choice in Ireland isn't nearly as good...

I completely agree. I'm not sure why but cask ale died in this country a long time ago. I'm assuming it was the Brits fault. English cask ale is generally lovely.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Advertisement